Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uric acid? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

uric acid?

Shop Now
    What causes high uric acid? If a person has high uric acid, are they supposed to avoid meat and organs?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    High uric acid is one of the indicators of gout and the typical CW advice is to avoid meat, organs and alcohol. I have researched whether paleo would benefit my gouty brother and unfortunately have not found any evidence that it would ease the gout.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    At one point someone here posted some information about fructose causing increased uric acid.... and then reducing fructose intake could help with gout.... I'll see if I can find it.

Here is one article....I am not sure how legit this is. Interesting though - my dad has hypertension, heart disease, and gout and eats a lot of fructose.

http://docchat.wordpress.com/2010/01...heart-disease/
    Last edited by jammies; 09-06-2011 at 08:25 PM.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    There are some recent studies linking gout to soda. Not sure if it's the HFCS or something else.

Here is an article that I read recently (although it's from 2008).
    Blame Sweet Soda for Gout?

Summary:
    2+ soft drinks per day (not diet) raised gout risk by 85%
    1 soft drink per day raised gout risk by 45%
    4-5 per week raised gout risk by 29%

Beer raised the risk by 49% per daily serving and spirits by 15%.

Anyone see the wheat and grain there? Anyone?
    soda = HFCS, Beer = Wheat+barley, Spirits = grains, potatoes or corn.

hmmm?

~rc

peril is offline Senior Member
    Given that both fructose and alcohol have the same contribution to fatty liver its not hard to see them both implicated in gout
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    High uric acid is one of the indicators of gout and the typical CW advice is to avoid meat, organs and alcohol. I have researched whether paleo would benefit my gouty brother and unfortunately have not found any evidence that it would ease the gout.
    Cordain did an interesting article on gout - it was part of a newsletter I think. Paleo improved gout. Some people get gout as under-excretors.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Excellent article here:
    Emotions for Engineers: The Causes of Gout

A reader of gnolls.org reported that he hasn't had a twinge of gout since going Paleo...including high consumption of grass-fed beef.

Keep in mind that a typical contributor would be "energy gels" and any fructose-containing food consumed during exercise, which is about the worst thing you can do for gout. If you can't just work out fasted, any exercise food needs to be 100% fructose-free.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    What causes high uric acid? If a person has high uric acid, are they supposed to avoid meat and organs?
    Fructose metabolism produces uric acid. Apparently, so does drinking beer (not so much other alcohols).

Gout: The Missing Chapter from Good Calories, Bad Calories

Grizz is offline Banned
    My favorite source for all questions dealing with health issues is Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis. He says THIS about high uric acid & gout. ( Gout is a severe form of arthritis )

• Cranberries block uric acid production–Cranberries have the unique ability to block the activity of an enzyme, xanthine oxidase, that converts xanthine to uric acid. Uric acid is believed to add to heart disease risk and is the factor responsible for gout.
    Eat cranberries | The Heart Scan Blog

* Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup (soda pop) and all sweetened products:
    Add to this the data that show that fructose increases uric acid (that causes gout and may act as a coronary risk factor), induces leptin resistance, causes metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetes), and increases appetite, and it is clear that fructose is yet another common food additive that, along with wheat, is likely a big part of the reason Americans are fat and diabetic.
    Goodbye, fructose | The Heart Scan Blog

–Diuretics (Thiazides) increase uric acid–Uric acid is increasingly looking like a coronary risk factor: The higher the uric acid blood level, the greater the risk for heart attack. Thiazides have long been known to increase uric acid, occasionally sufficient to trigger attacks of gout (uric acid crystals that precipitate in joints, like rock candy). (Fully detailed Special Report on uric acid coming this week on the Track Your Plaque website.)
    Thiazide diuretics: Treatment of choice for high blood pressure? | The Heart Scan Blog

* Beyond the fact that fructose stimulates liver production of glycerol, which thereby increases liver VLDL production and raises blood levels of triglycerides; likely stimulates appetite; increases cholesterol levels; fructose has also been clearly implicated in increasing blood levels of uric acid.
    Uric acid is the substance that, in some people, precipitates in joints and causes gout, the painful inflammatory arthritis that has been increasing in prevalence over the last four decades since the introduction of fructose in 1967. While blood levels of uric acid in the early part of the 20th century averaged 3.5 mg/dl, more recent population assessments have averaged 6.0 mg/dl or higher. (Non-human mammals who don’t eat processed foods, drink fruit drinks or beer, and don’t eat candy have uric acid levels of <2.0 mg/dl.)
    Yet another reason to avoid fructose | The Heart Scan Blog

* excessive uric acid) and kidney stones are among the unhealthy consequences of excessive quantities of meats in our diets.
    Are humans meant to be omnivores? | The Heart Scan Blog

* Niacin is safe however side affects can aggravate gout
    Media mis-information | The Heart Scan Blog

Hope this helps,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-07-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    * excessive uric acid) and kidney stones are among the unhealthy consequences of excessive quantities of meats in our diets.
    I understand the fructose and beer connections, but paleo /primal usually leads to higher meat intake, which is also contraindicated. So this leaves dairy and vegetables?
    Last edited by Adrianag; 09-07-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast