Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Vegetable Bang for your Buck? page 4

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by petriquor View Post
    Taste of Thai just has guar gum added though, is that really worse (health-wise) than preservatives I'd find in other brands?
    Nope.

Guar gum can best be described as a natural food thickener, similar to locust bean gum, cornstarch or tapioca flour. Guar gum is said to have significantly more thickening ability than cornstarch, at a fraction of the cost. This has made guar gum a popular additive in products such as puddings and ice creams. Until recently, guar gum was also an ingredient in non-prescription diet pills designed to create a sense of fullness.

The guar plant, also known as a cluster plant, grows primarily in Pakistan and the northern regions of India. It thrives on the drought/monsoon cycles present in those areas. The plants are harvested after the monsoon season and the seeds are allowed to dry in the sun. The seeds are then manually or mechanically separated and processed into a flour or sold as split seeds. Guar gum is an important cash crop for the Indian and Pakistani economies.

What Is Guar Gum?

There ya go. It's a thickener made from a seed. Sounds as paleo as a thicker can get. At least it's natural. It's not the guar gum I have an issue with. Hell, I have a 1 pound bag of xanthan gum in my cupboard that I use somewhat regularly. My issue with Taste of Thai is the cost. They don't deserve a 50+% markup when there are much cheaper brands with the same ingredients and consistency. Another good brand is "Grace" brand coconut milk if you can't find Jamacian Choice. They're both in red cans and they're both about the same price point.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Nope.

Guar gum can best be described as a natural food thickener, similar to locust bean gum, cornstarch or tapioca flour. Guar gum is said to have significantly more thickening ability than cornstarch, at a fraction of the cost. This has made guar gum a popular additive in products such as puddings and ice creams. Until recently, guar gum was also an ingredient in non-prescription diet pills designed to create a sense of fullness.

The guar plant, also known as a cluster plant, grows primarily in Pakistan and the northern regions of India. It thrives on the drought/monsoon cycles present in those areas. The plants are harvested after the monsoon season and the seeds are allowed to dry in the sun. The seeds are then manually or mechanically separated and processed into a flour or sold as split seeds. Guar gum is an important cash crop for the Indian and Pakistani economies.

What Is Guar Gum?

There ya go. It's a thickener made from a seed. Sounds as paleo as a thicker can get. At least it's natural. It's not the guar gum I have an issue with. Hell, I have a 1 pound bag of xanthan gum in my cupboard that I use somewhat regularly. My issue with Taste of Thai is the cost. They don't deserve a 50+% markup when there are much cheaper brands with the same ingredients and consistency. Another good brand is "Grace" brand coconut milk if you can't find Jamacian Choice. They're both in red cans and they're both about the same price point.
    Thanks for the info, I was a little confused because the information I googled about guar gum certainly made it sound pretty good.

And I do remember trying the Grace brand before but I haven't seen it lately. Guess it's time to scour the international isle again.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I'm not saying guar gum is GOOD! Haha. But it doesn't look like an ingredient you should put something back on the shelf for and walk out of the store empty handed. Like SOYBEAN OIL. When I see the ingredient "soybean oil" on a product, I literally get a sick feeling in my stomach. It actually makes me queasy.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234