Thread: Pemmican as camping/trail food. Anyone tried it? page

Corvidae is offline Senior Member

Pemmican as camping/trail food. Anyone tried it?

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, so I spent this labor day weekend on a long camping trip up in the Sierras. Hiking in VFFs and getting sunlight and swimming in alpine lakes...it was pretty primal and awesome.

Anyway, while we brought a lot of meat and veggies for cooking, and canned fish, nuts, and dried fruit for trail food, I got to thinking about Mark's post about pemmican (How to Make Pemmican - Pemmican Recipe | Mark's Daily Apple) that I read a while back. I found while hiking that I wasnt that hungry; during breaks, I just wanted to eat some food and get on with things. Back at camp, we were often so tired that setting up the veggies and meat for cooking was quite a chore. I started to think that a calorically-dense food like the pemmican might be kinda dull, but it would save a lot of time, effort, and weight. Also, my camping-partner (who is not primal) talked about backpacking trips hes been on where the food was primarily carb-loaded things, because thats what was light and would keep. Ive never backpacked before, but I would like to someday, and Id think pemmican would be better than bags of rice-a-roni.

Has anyone had experience with it?
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Paleobird Guest
    Mark makes it sound kind of dull in his post but really pemmican can be quite delicious if you know your way around a spice rack. I made some with dried venison and bacon drippings that was awesome. Little fat/protein/calorie bombs. One or two of those and you are stuffed.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I made some last year. I made mine really spice but it still tasted way too much of tallow. I think if you're going to need survival food then it would be great but for camping I don't need that much fat. I prefer just to bring along beef jerky.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I'm not partial to the taste of tallow either. Tastes like you are eating a candle. But the bacon fat was goooooooood. I prefer lean jerky too but for sheer calories per cubic inch, you can't beat pemmican. (I made the pemmican back when I was still believing all the people here telling me I needed to eat more fat to lose weight.)

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Sure! I use pemmican all the time for backpacking. It's great. I am a light-weight backpacker and pemmican really cuts down on weight and bulk (high nutrition density) as well as fitting into my diet, of course. I don't spice my pemmican (and I love it that way).

Other dried meat items I love are biltong (dried, lacto-fermented jerky) and doerwors (dried, lacto-fermented sausage). They all keep really well. And when you are hungry I swear pemmican is the most awesome tasting stuff in the world.

We usually have a bunch all prepared and ready to go for any spur of the moment trips and to store-up for longer trips. This and dark chocolate, and sometimes a bag of dried fruit and nuts, are all I take. Works for me (and my husband).