Thread: Quick Question about hunger after working out page

kpopstar is offline Junior Member

Quick Question about hunger after working out

Primal Fuel
    Hi - I'm a Newbie here. Just went Primal a week ago and lost 5lbs! (whoo-hoo!)

So this week I'm focusing on adding exercise to my daily routine. Today I went to the gym and did a 15 minute 'high intensity' workout (which is a HUGE for me considering I did NOTHING before this) with my trainer and then I walked on the treadmill for an hour.

I ate a light dinner around 10p last night. Just a few veggies in butter and some bites of chicken. (I just wasn't hungry from my BAS I had earlier). I've been trying to find information on here about when to eat and working out. From what I saw, people suggested working out on an empty stomach. So I did. I was shocked that I wasn't hungry! And while I got a bit 'fuzzy' for a couple of minutes after the 'high intensity' part - I just sat for a couple of minutes, drank some water and then was fine. I walked for an hour and then came home.

I think I ate my breakfast around 12noon (which is usually totally filling for me and holds me over for at least 4-5 hours). But now it's 1:20p and I'm HUNGRY. I boiling some eggs right now so I can make my salad.

Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to make me not be hungry this soon after a meal? I'm used to go so far in between meals without being hungry that this is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Anyway, any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpopstar View Post

Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to make me not be hungry this soon after a meal? I'm used to go so far in between meals without being hungry that this is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Anyway, any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Everyone experiences hunger differently, describe your hunger.

Usually, drinking some water makes that hunger feeling go away. Did you try that?

What did your breakfast consist of?

kpopstar is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for commenting!

My breakfast was some kielbasa (which I'm pretty sure isn't Primal, but my husband bought it thinking it was and now I can't let it go to waste, right?) with 2 scrambled eggs (in butter) and a bit of onion. (usually I have 2 slices of bacon with eggs cooked in the bacon fat with a few onions, maybe some spinach and a little red bell pepper).

I've drank 26oz of water from the time I started working out until right now.

My body feels tired. Kinda fatigued (which is expected since I wasn't doing any exercise before). I just feel like I want to eat. I was feeding my kids and normally I just fix my lunch after them, and I'm not hungry/tempted by whatever I'm giving them. But this time, the thought of having my big salad for lunch sounds REALLY good. Like I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem eating it. Where normally, I'm not hungry at all after meals for a few hours.

I usually eat around:

B: 9:30a
    L: 2:30p
    D: 7-8p

And I normally don't snack in between. Rarely I'll have a small bite of fruit... but I think that's just habit from me being used to grazing all day.
    35 yrs
    Pre-Challenge Weight: 219.5

My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37214.html

Sounds like you're fine. I don't think that's real hunger since you mentioned that you just feel like you want to eat. Some more veggies with today's lunch might've helped.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the kielbasa wasn't primal and maybe it's the reason your body reacted the way it did after eating it but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Good luck!

Einz is offline Member
    Thank you so much for commenting!

My breakfast was some kielbasa (which I'm pretty sure isn't Primal, but my husband bought it thinking it was and now I can't let it go to waste, right?) with 2 scrambled eggs (in butter) and a bit of onion. (usually I have 2 slices of bacon with eggs cooked in the bacon fat with a few onions, maybe some spinach and a little red bell pepper).

I've drank 26oz of water from the time I started working out until right now.

My body feels tired. Kinda fatigued (which is expected since I wasn't doing any exercise before). I just feel like I want to eat. I was feeding my kids and normally I just fix my lunch after them, and I'm not hungry/tempted by whatever I'm giving them. But this time, the thought of having my big salad for lunch sounds REALLY good. Like I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem eating it. Where normally, I'm not hungry at all after meals for a few hours.

I usually eat around:

B: 9:30a
    L: 2:30p
    D: 7-8p

And I normally don't snack in between. Rarely I'll have a small bite of fruit... but I think that's just habit from me being used to grazing all day.
    I had similar experiences when trying to transition to primal. Make sure you are eating your carbs - good ones of course. Eat fruit, potatoes, and good rice. This is key for doing primal, especially if you do any type of workout. You will feel much better with carbs in your system - they are not the enemy, only the ones with gluten are.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Gotta agree on the carbs part...I too have reintroduced them to my eating(moderate amounts), and it has helped quite a bit. I usually have a potato, or sweet potato, but white rice is good too.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    So this week I'm focusing on adding exercise to my daily routine. Today I went to the gym and did a 15 minute 'high intensity' workout (which is a HUGE for me considering I did NOTHING before this) with my trainer and then I walked on the treadmill for an hour.
    If it was truly high intensity, the walking on the treadmill would have been unnecessary.

I've been trying to find information on here about when to eat and working out. From what I saw, people suggested working out on an empty stomach.
    BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage
    Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    You're hungry because you burned a bunch of energy working out and your body wants to repair the damage. (This is how you get stronger and faster: hard exercise breaks you down, your body repairs and rebuilds itself to be better than before.)

Remember, exercise isn't what makes you lose weight. What makes you lose weight is regaining your metabolic flexibility (which intense exercise helps you do), so that you're burning fat at rest instead of carbs. (Assuming you're not continually snacking, which usually defeats all weight loss attempts.)

And kielbasa is fine! What do you mean, kielbasa isn't primal? It's just sausage...

Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post

And kielbasa is fine! What do you mean, kielbasa isn't primal? It's just sausage...
    may have some preservatives like some bacon might?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I suggest throwing in more veggies with that onion in your scrambled eggs. I always add zuccini and mushrooms. And, it is a really good thing to eat something carby about 1 hour post-workout, sweet potato being the best primal choice + a bit of lean protein if you follow lean gain (egg white, you cna dd the yolk to breakkie!). White rice and potatoes get a lot of good press lately, but I am not sure I am buying the argumements in their favor. On a rare occasion, I would also do legumes post-workout, if they are appropriately soaked etc. Just soak and boil, and freeze in portions.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.