Thread: pushups and pullups page

jpandzel is offline Junior Member

pushups and pullups

Primal Fuel
    Hi everybody,

Just had a quick question about programming. Just had surgery on hip so im sticking with pushups and pullups for a while. Anyone have suggestions to a workout schedule? I have been doing 150 pushups and 150 pullups pretty much everyday for the past week, but this may be to much. Is there a problem with doing them everyday or should I take a different approach?

Justin

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    While you can do pushups and pullups every day, you might benefit more from an exhaustion workout and then rest days.

One of my favorite workouts comes from the amazingly annoying Tony Horton. Pick 6 types of pushups with a number and 6 types of pullups with a number, then do 2 sets of each for a total of 24 sets. So for instance, a 30-15 would be 12 sets of 30 pushups and 12 sets of 15 pullups. Pick ambitious numbers and don't be afraid to go to muscle failure.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    if you can do 150 pushup and 150 pullups you NEED to be doing something different. and what i mean by that is you need to be doing HARDER variations of pushups and pullups. try some of the harder progressions in the primal blueprint fitness guide.

seriously though if you can do 150 pullups everyday you should be able to knock out 1 arm pull ups no sweat. right now all you are doing is cardio
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Do a bigger variety of upper body stuff and especially some more challenging things. Muscle ups, front lever, back lever, one-armed pushups, planche pushups, handstand pushups, things like that.

jpandzel is offline Junior Member
    @Mike- I have been breaking the 150 up throughout the day so I wouldnt call it cardio. I pop out 10-15 pullups when ever im around the bar. I might do anywhere from 1-5 sets at a time depending on how I feel. Sorry I didnt specify.

@Patrick- Yes I love the variations, but I'm trying to get back into this slow. Only 3 weeks post operation so still quite sore. The surgeon gave me the green light for pushups and pullups last week, and I'm slowly trying to build up my strength. I think the next variation for pushups will be feet on the bench. I would love to get into the handstand stuff but I'm just not ready. Thanks for the advice!

@Scotch-looks fun. I will give it a shot!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    ok thought you were doing 150 all at once lol

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Keep working the pushups until you can get to sets of 30 or 40 (or even 50) at a time. Then start working on close hand/diamond pushups, or other ways of increasing the difficulty. PBF and Convict Conditioning both have pretty good progressions for both of these exercises. PBF doesn't get to as high a level as CC.