Thread: Do your pets help you stay primal? page

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member

Do your pets help you stay primal?

Primal Fuel
    Have you ever nearly not done a workout because you couldn't be bothered, but thanks to a pet needing a walk, you end up going out and having a blast of a sprint, chasing them/ chasing smaaler animals with them? Have you ever been tempted to turn over and fall asleep again once you've hit snooze, but thanks to a certin pet getting up and sitting on your face, you've gotten up when you were supposed to?

I lost my 13yr old lurcher last month, but when she was alive and up for a run we would chase pigeons until we could barely breathe anymore. I also walk my rabbits and train them individually in showjumping, so 6 days a week I'm running around the garden following them( Anyone who puts their bunnies on harnesses will tell you, you don't walk a rabbit. Rabbit will walk you.) which gives me a fair good workout! I'm also up at 8 every morning to do the feeding, because my dad tends to give everyone about 3 times as much as they need. -_- I've got some zebra mice today, and the way they jump I can tell I'll be spending a fair amount of time chasing after the little escapees!

What pets have you got, and how do they help you keep fit?
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

StarryEyedSarahJ is offline Junior Member
    My two dogs make sure I don't sleep past 7am or sit in one spot for more than an hour. They live for hiking, going to the dog park to chase squirrels, running alongside me while I ride my bicycle for miles or - their favorite - swimming for hours! Seeing how content they are at the end of a long, busy, active day makes it all worthwhile.

Wag more, bark less.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    I got a 125 gal fish tank, and I have to carry and lift 40 pound buckets of water to dump into the tank when I have to change out their water. I got the "lift heavy things" down!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    I got a 125 gal fish tank, and I have to carry and lift 40 pound buckets of water to dump into the tank when I have to change out their water. I got the "lift heavy things" down!
    Wow! Who'd have thought fish would help you stay fit!!

Paleobird Guest
    Oh yes. I call my dog "My Personal Trainer". He will come up to me and give me one of those looks when I've been on the computer too long and get me out for a walk or a hike.
    He is also my bodyguard. I feel more comfortable being female and alone out walking even after dark. He is only about 35 lbs but he is very fierce when it comes to protecting me. So having him gives me one less excuse not to go out.
    He is also my portion control coach. When I have cooked something that is bigger than I really need I might just finish it anyway thinking that there is not enough left to be worth putting away, don't want to waste it, and all kinds of other good rationalizations. But my four footed garbage disposal system takes care of the leftovers for me and leaves the plates and cooking pans nice and clean. Seriously, I use much less soap in dishwashing and waste less water (in SoCal a precious resource). And no need for an electric powered garbage disposal in the sink.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    My dog changed my life. She needs a walk every day, rain or shine, no matter how many excuses I have not to do it. I work at home, and could easily go days without leaving the house before we got her. After a few months, I realized walking her was really lifting my mood, did some research, figured out the vitamin D connection, and through that I found the primal/paleo community (I've been eating paleo forever, I just didn't know it had a name or that other people had found the same lifestyle.)

It's not just the exercise and sunshine. I now know dozens of people in my neighborhood. My dog is cute, and so I get (and give) so many more smiles every day just being out with her... it makes me happy! And she keeps me company when my husband is working late, is always up for a cuddle, and generally makes my day brighter... I have no idea what I did without her!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I have a border collie/cattle dog mix and a 10 month old cattle dog (blue heeler). You don't say no to these dogs. I'm considering teaching the younger one some agility (nothing serious) for him to burn off some energy. First I need to teach him some basic stuff, commands, as I believe he was pretty much ignored by whoever had him before. And yes, they make great bodyguards. The older one is pretty ferocious if she doesn't know you and the younger one will be quite formidable when he gets a few more pounds on him and gets a bit older.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Yep - my dog(s) kept me out walking and hiking even with horrible arthritis in all my joints and most recently when dealing with kidney stones. I wasn't always happy about it but I just can't ignore those cute doggy faces

Most recently I have been cooking chicken thighs to increase the protein content of the dog food. I was buying boneless chicken thighs, but then figured I'd just buy bone in with skin and make great, gelatin rich stock for me while preparing his food. So now, thanks to my dog, I'm drinking an extra quart or two of chicken stock every week.
    Last edited by jammies; 09-06-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    I also think that dogs are good at getting people to embrace the wild, their inner Grok, the one who ate dirt and didn't use hand sanitizer every five minutes. You can't invite a dog into your life without being willing to "hang" with a certain degree of dirt and fur and general disorder. Obsessive compulsive neat freaks like my sister are driven around the bend by the fact that there is dog hair on my couch and I don't care. Chill. It's not going to hurt anything.

Pft, you're right about the hair! I bought some new jeans the other day (a size too big but they didn’t have my size and I’ve wanted them for SO long!!) and the moment I put them on and went downstairs, BOOM. They had a nice layer of bunnyfluff -_-
    Last edited by PixieKitten; 09-07-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: It posted before I finished O.o