Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dunking a basketball page

dado Guest

dunking a basketball

Primal Fuel
    how can i be primal and slam dunk?

does doing deep squats increase vertical?

plyometrics. weighted plyometrics. and more plyometrics.

can you palm a baskettball? that's usually a good place to start. how close are you now? can you touch the rim? hang on the rim? dunk a tennis ball?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Build strength to start. Squatting down and coming back up slowly will build the strength that will lead to the jumping ability without quite so much of the problems of "jumper's knee" that you might see.

Plyometrics (for me) are often a little harder on my joints than I'd like- clapping pushups jolt my shoulders in a not-very-nice way- and I've quit doing them on a regular basis.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    how can i be primal and slam dunk?

does doing deep squats increase vertical?
    Flexibility

P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training
    Plyometrics are incredibly stupid. They are relatively ineffective for building strength, unnecessary for developing speed or explosiveness or improving rate of force development, and carry a very high risk of injury. They have no place in any training program.
    What you should be doing instead: If you want to develop speed or explosiveness simply focus on getting stronger. All these different things are expressions of strength, rather than different types as some people believe. You don’t need to train one way for “maximum strength”, another for “speed strength” another for “explosive strength” or any of the other types these people come up with to make their programs more complex and scientific sounding than they need to be.

really js290? so you are going to say that the best way to learn how to jump higher is to practice everything except jumping? because it "carries a very high risk of injury?" if you want to get better at something, start by practicing it

I wasn't suggesting that the OP runs out and buys P90x or whatever else

Dado,
    I just found this on the diesel crew site. It pulls some videos from Eric Cressey and Joe DeFranco. A couple of guys who know a thing or two about training athletes. There are also a few videos of suggested exercises. Good luck

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-increase-vertical-jump
    Last edited by not on the rug; 09-06-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    so you are going to say that the best way to learn how to jump higher is to practice everything except jumping?
    Where did I say anything of the sort?

what are you suggesting to dado? you linked a quote from an article that was specific to the p90x/insanity programs. the first line of which was "Plyometrics are incredibly stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    the first line of which was "Plyometrics are incredibly stupid."
    You're the one associating plyometics with the skill of jumping. There's certainly plyometic aspects of jumping, but I'm not convinced just doing plyo's will help one's ability to jump.

um....jumping is a plyometric movement. forget the association you have with p90x/insanity, etc... look at the definition of the word plyometrics.

i wasn't suggesting that using p90x/insanity would make him a better jumper. i was suggesting that JUMPING and doing different variations of jumps would make him a better jumper.

again, what are YOU suggesting instead of plyometric movements? Because you have posted 3 responses on this thread so far, and still haven't answered his question.

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting stuff.

I can palm a basketball and I can touch rim. But I'm 6'3" and have been a weakling most of my life. Right now I'm deep squatting and getting close to 200 lbs, so my strength is improving.

I like the response about just building strength, because it works everything at the same time, but how accurate is this? If I can squat 300 lbs on my frame, will I be able to dunk? It's tough to say.

I'm wondering if I will have to include specific plyometric work, something I would rather avoid if possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast