Thread: Homemade Gymnastic rings page

Blah is offline Senior Member

Homemade Gymnastic rings

Shop Now
    Gymnasts are incredibly strong, and this is due in no small part to their use of gymnastic rings. The rings bring a new level of intensity to all exercises such as press ups, pull ups, dips etc. Since one has to stabilise the forward/backward and side to side movement of the rings, all exercises require and develop much more strength and stabilisation than if they were performed on a straight bar alone. It is for this reason I decided I would get a set of gymnastic rings. But when I looked into it they often cost the better part of $100, money I just donít have right now.

Luckily for me I stumbled upon a blog where someone had made their own set of gymnastic rings and that reawakened the desire to have a set for myself.

Thats the beginning of my blog post which goes on to show how I made myself a set of gymnastic rings for under $25, insead of buying a pair for over $100. Heres the link.

Hope you enjoy, and as always any feed back (good or bad) would be much appreciated. Even if you think my blog sucks, let me know.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that seems really easy. thanks for posting.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    My first set of rings were the pvc kind, but the ends kept rubbing on my forearms. I got these instead Purse Ring 8" Plastic - Seattle Marine and just fed a lashing strap thru them. only downside is that there is nothing to keep the ring from moving in the strap.

BTW...your blog is cool. Anything that pimps home made equipment is right up my alley.
    Last edited by Monty; 09-06-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: props
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i did something sort of similar but not as fancy. i bought some $3 lashing straps at harbor freight and a piece of 1" PVC at home depot. i cut the pvc into 2 5" pieces and filed the edges smooth. i simply put the straps through each tube and use them for hand holds. they arent "rings" but i think they would work for nearly all exercises that rings are used for
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that seems really easy. thanks for posting.
    No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    My first set of rings were the pvc kind, but the ends kept rubbing on my forearms. I got these instead Purse Ring 8" Plastic - Seattle Marine and just fed a lashing strap thru them. only downside is that there is nothing to keep the ring from moving in the strap.

BTW...your blog is cool. Anything that pimps home made equipment is right up my alley.
    Those are cool, much cheaper than "real" rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i did something sort of similar but not as fancy. i bought some $3 lashing straps at harbor freight and a piece of 1" PVC at home depot. i cut the pvc into 2 5" pieces and filed the edges smooth. i simply put the straps through each tube and use them for hand holds. they arent "rings" but i think they would work for nearly all exercises that rings are used for
    I considered that, but decided it wouldn't be too much harder to make the rings, and would look cooler. I might make some foot straps at some point though.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

IcarianVX is online now Senior Member
    Cool, thanks. I have been thinking about incorporating some rings just to change things up a bit. This might do the trick.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Playground down the road has rings already installed. Thanks for the reminder! I was going to just sun bathe today, but now I'll take a sunny walk to the playground.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Definitely don't mean to knock this idea, but for how long my rings will last, I don't consider the $60 I spent to be too big a splurge, and I'm definitely not in a position to just spend on whatever.

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Well he does live in New Zealand where everything costs like 3 times what you might pay in the US. Every bit helps.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    heres a picture of my setup

Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist