Thread: Best shoes for a nurse?! page

KatyNC is offline Senior Member

Best shoes for a nurse?!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Its no secret that nurses work long, hard hours. Being in a profession where I am on my feet for 12 hours a day is sometimes a bit of a challenge. Before switching to a primal lifestyle I wore dansko/sanita clogs, which weren't very comfy. All my co-workers said "after about a year you will break them in and you will love them". I don't want to have to suffer through shoes for a year before I like them. Next I tried Allegria, then some Nike's. Now that I am going barefoot/minimalist shoe as much as possible, after a 12 hour shift my feet ache and I have foot cramps. The hospital I work in prohibits the wearing of Vibrams, so that is out. Also, please taking into consideration that I am a labor and delivery nurse and get blood/body fluid/amniotic fluid/pee/mess on me from time to time. Any suggestions?! Thanks!

Rose is offline Member
    Have you tried Nike Frees? I think they would wash quite easily and they are really comfortable.

KatyNC is offline Senior Member
    No, but thanks for the suggestion! I will look into them!

Rae1219 is offline Junior Member
    How about these? Merrell Barefoot Pure Glove - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
    Still a vibram bottom, but looks more like a regular shoe. I wear them to work. The only problem for you may be the mary jane style since the top is open, but just a suggestion. Let us know what you go with

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I remember talking to someone who works in a hospital and they wear Keens. They make shoes specifically for hospital work, but one of their other styles may work for you. I have a pair of their sneakers which I like a lot because I have wide-ish feet.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I love the Merrells but I must warn that even the full-cover Pace Glove is not resistant to water, or other fluids you don't want on your skin. I have both the Pure and the Pace. They're the shoes I wear most often except if its raining.

I wish I had a better suggestion.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    When I need to wear shoes I wear Keens with the insole removed.