Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slippery Slop... page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Slippery Slope...

Primal Fuel
    Hello ...

It's been awhile since I have posted. I have been slowly slipping away from primal eating. The last time I posted I talked about this, also. I have been eating lots of cheese and processed meats like salami and pepperoni, drinking lots of wine, and eating ice cream. It started at the end of June and hasn't stopped. Other than those things I eat primal foods, but tonight I ate pizza because I just felt like eating whatever I wanted. It wasn't even that good and I know I am not missing anything!

I am currently reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. It's a really great and informative book. I think I am really dealing with some major food addictions and even wine additions. Part of the book discusses why we get hooked on foods that we have an intolerance to and that is because your body releases endorphins to act the on "injury" you are inflicting on yourself. It is the release of these endorphins that leads us to crave these foods over and over. That is how it has been for me with cheese. Wine is also a huge problem for me as it gives me major cravings and hunger due to blood sugar spikes.

I am really starting to feel bad about myself and needed to vent. I know I have to stop the dairy and the wine, but sometimes these cravings are so powerful and the only thing that make me feel better (temporarily).

Tomorrow I plan to make eggs for breakfast, a steak salad for lunch and a roasted chicken and veggies for dinner. I also plan to start the amino acid regimen discussed in the book.

I know I have to just do it and I will feel better. Thanks for letting me vent and confess... here's to fresh starts!
    Last edited by healthy11; 09-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a really interesting book, and I totally agree about cravings and keep doing it over and over although it makes you feel like crap. My biggest helpful hint is to make sure that breakfast is super-filling. Think fats and proteins and plenty of it. Should starve of any pesky cravings.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there! You can do it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    DO IT, be an animal, stop reading books, stop beating yourself up, it's food, YOU control what goes into your body, your arm picks up and shove pizza into your mouth, you like the cheese for fat and those meets are salty, same reason people eat salty chips and fried foods, OUR BRAIN LIKES THEM, and they make you happy, I feel off recently as well, I ate a whole pizza and then drank about 10 beers and then ate chips and oreos ( because I was drunk) and then I got ice cream. I hated myself, I don't want that In my body, all you can do is chalk it up to a mistake, opps this isn't what I want, help your body out, it's working hard. STRONG MIND. If you eat a bad meal, the next meal will be good. Eat perfect for a week, hardcore, cut everything out cold turkey, then at the end of the week, after you just kicked so much ass, you may just find yourself with no reason to stop. I hate codling people, even with "addictions" people have it way worse everywhere else, I don't pity anyone because that is weakness. DO IT, people don't have drinking water and they die when they are little kids and you can't not eat pizza? YOU CONTROL YOUR MIND, YOUR STRONGER THAN YOUR IMPULSES, CRAVINGS ARE PSYCHOLOGICAL, GET MAD, GET SERIOUS, YOUR IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING YOU DO, OWN IT BABY!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Cook meals ahead of time, because it's easy to think "Oh that's for someone else (future me!)"...so that when a meal time comes up you go "Oh, right, I have that thing already cooked, I ought to eat it" instead of reaching out when you're hungry for some crap.

Also, get rid of all the crap.

Brewing The Chaos is offline Junior Member
    Wine is also a huge problem for me as it gives me major cravings and hunger due to blood sugar spikes.
    I have the same issue with wine. Nearly every time I drink it, I end up stuffing my face. You are making the right choice by trying to reduce the amount of wine and dairy in your diet. It may be difficult in the short-term, but it will pay off in the long-term. The best way to do it? Don't buy the stuff. If you keep wine and cheese out of your house, it will be much more difficult to indulge.

You can definitely do it.

otzi Guest
    I struggled with some of those same addictions to food I knew I shouldn't eat and have been "crap-free" for nearly 9 months now. I started applying these tenets to my eating habits and it has worked wonders physically and emotionally:
    1. No sugar
    2. No snacking between meals, especially between supper and breakfast
    3. Eat a bigger lunch than supper
    4. Limit grains and fruit to once or twice a week max, and then in moderation
    5. Keep carbs low, but don't stress over it. Potatoes or rice 1-2X a week
    6. Eat meat in it's simplest form, not in sausages, hotdogs, or lunchmeat
    7. Don't count calories or macros
    8. Wine/beer once or twice a month
    9. Junk or fried food (birthday cake, fudge, fried chicken) once or twice a year--and only a small portion!
    10. Sugar fueled carb binges: NEVER, if you catch yourself starting one--stop! If you mess up and do it anyway, don't do it again!

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    You are definitely not alone...I've been going through the same things. Right down to the wine and the sugar spikes from it.

All you can do is just keep trying and tweaking foods and behaviors until you find what works. That's what I'm doing and I'm slowly getting better again.

A big one for me lately? Keeping a couple of cans of sardines and some hot sauce in my desk at work - no more reasons to have to eat crap lunches during the day if I haven't been able to make a decent one at home.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    DO IT, be an animal, stop reading books, stop beating yourself up, it's food, YOU control what goes into your body, your arm picks up and shove pizza into your mouth, you like the cheese for fat and those meets are salty, same reason people eat salty chips and fried foods, OUR BRAIN LIKES THEM, and they make you happy, I feel off recently as well, I ate a whole pizza and then drank about 10 beers and then ate chips and oreos ( because I was drunk) and then I got ice cream. I hated myself, I don't want that In my body, all you can do is chalk it up to a mistake, opps this isn't what I want, help your body out, it's working hard. STRONG MIND. If you eat a bad meal, the next meal will be good. Eat perfect for a week, hardcore, cut everything out cold turkey, then at the end of the week, after you just kicked so much ass, you may just find yourself with no reason to stop. I hate codling people, even with "addictions" people have it way worse everywhere else, I don't pity anyone because that is weakness. DO IT, people don't have drinking water and they die when they are little kids and you can't not eat pizza? YOU CONTROL YOUR MIND, YOUR STRONGER THAN YOUR IMPULSES, CRAVINGS ARE PSYCHOLOGICAL, GET MAD, GET SERIOUS, YOUR IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING YOU DO, OWN IT BABY!
    Thanks for the kick in the ass! You are absolutely right! Are you a Scorpio?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I struggled with some of those same addictions to food I knew I shouldn't eat and have been "crap-free" for nearly 9 months now. I started applying these tenets to my eating habits and it has worked wonders physically and emotionally:
    1. No sugar
    2. No snacking between meals, especially between supper and breakfast
    3. Eat a bigger lunch than supper
    4. Limit grains and fruit to once or twice a week max, and then in moderation
    5. Keep carbs low, but don't stress over it. Potatoes or rice 1-2X a week
    6. Eat meat in it's simplest form, not in sausages, hotdogs, or lunchmeat
    7. Don't count calories or macros
    8. Wine/beer once or twice a month
    9. Junk or fried food (birthday cake, fudge, fried chicken) once or twice a year--and only a small portion!
    10. Sugar fueled carb binges: NEVER, if you catch yourself starting one--stop! If you mess up and do it anyway, don't do it again!
    Great guideline!

Thank you, everyone, for your encouraging words! I did really well today and feel good for making the right choices!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast