Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soap: what to look for? page

petriquor is offline Senior Member

Soap: what to look for?

Shop Now
    Planning on taking a look at a specialty store for some new soap. I know a lot of people here don't stress about the kind they use, but I have sensitive skin and looking for something minimal that won't cause too much irritation. But I'd like to cut through the BS...do any of the products here seem worthwhile enough to try? What ingredients really promote skin health and which ones are just for show?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I swear swear swear by this one: Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Retail Store: Classic Liquid & Bar Soaps

My kdis have eczema and this soap has really been good for them, Same with Billy Goat Soap.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    lush soaps are pretty expensive for glycerine bars, and the lilac bar i tried dried my hands out pretty badly but i'd say if lush is what you want to try, any of these will do. just pick one that sounds like it smells good

when i made soap, my skin really liked the bars with mango or shea or coconut butters. basically just lye and oils recipes, my skin was really clean and really soft with no irritation or need for lotion

so i highly advocate handmade bars instead
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    PS! I wouldn't go LUSH myself, all that fragrance can't be good? Just walking into their store makes me feel sick!

Soap-bars made with coconut oil, goats milk or olive oil are all great.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I recommend making your own soap. You can use many of the oils that you eat on the Primal diet, and maybe use up some of them that you can't. I've dabbled in soap making and it's a lot of fun--I've just been too busy to make any lately. If you have a stick blender and can find pure lye, you're in business. There are a lot of recipes online (cold process is the easiest), and you can experiment with what you and your skin likes. Pure castille soap is just made with olive oil and it's always nice. I like mine fragranced and as a candlemaker I have plenty of fragrances that are skin safe, but that's up to you. The saponification process is truly amazing.

Westly is offline Senior Member
    I'm all about the Doc Bronners myself. I use the peppermint and it tingles like crazy when I give myself a good hard scrub. (I've got the WORST CASE of 'chicken skin' that I've ever seen, but I've heard that going gluten-free helps it so...I'll let y'all know!)
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

bluepelican is offline Member
    Another vote for Dr. Bronners. I use the unscented baby soap, which actually smells really good.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petriquor View Post
    Planning on taking a look at a specialty store for some new soap. I know a lot of people here don't stress about the kind they use, but I have sensitive skin and looking for something minimal that won't cause too much irritation. But I'd like to cut through the BS...do any of the products here seem worthwhile enough to try? What ingredients really promote skin health and which ones are just for show?
    That Lush soap is really expensive. Doc Bronners is pretty good. Here's a shameless plug for my sister-in-law's homemade natural soap.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westly View Post
    I'm all about the Doc Bronners myself. I use the peppermint and it tingles like crazy when I give myself a good hard scrub. (I've got the WORST CASE of 'chicken skin' that I've ever seen, but I've heard that going gluten-free helps it so...I'll let y'all know!)
    vitamin A *nodnod* liver or cod liver oil, makes mine soooo much better
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Oooh! Thanks for the suggestion! Will look into it!

(Also, nice icon!!)
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast