Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Hypertrophy primal? page

wolfman is offline Senior Member

Is Hypertrophy primal?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Primal day 90ish, been into fitness since highschool, read everything from Elite FTS to Mark's Daily Apple, just keep pondering about this...

Is Hypertrophy primal? Guys love to gain muscle and look big, but how does everyone feel about it? Is all that puffy muscle functional? Is it strong? Does everyone prefer low rep, heavy weight, max effort lifts? Or does everyone think a hypertrophy based 8-10 is good? Those puffy guys sure don't look flexible, I feel like they wouldn't even be able to climb a tree to get away from a predator.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Hypertrophy does not necessarily mean all puffy and beefcakey. Hypertrophy simply means muscle growth and is the opposite of atrophy. "Hyper" in this case doesn't mean "too much."

Most of us need to gain some muscle because our daily lives render us physically weak in comparison to the model human. I was thinking about this the other day while watching a video about chimps. Even through their fur you can clearly see their musculature. Chimps are ripped. They swing through trees and climb and stuff all day. What do we do? We sit, mostly.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Yeah they are strong too! Well I meant Hypertrophy in the lifting world, Max Effort, Dynamic, and Hypertrophy where your get as much blood as you can into the muscle and get it to grow in size, it fills with water and glucose, that is what makes most people puffy, but you can train for just strength and be able to life more than those guys.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    I don't think our ancestors went around TRYING to get huge muscles. They just developed what was necessary for daily life. As an example, look at more modern indigenous peoples. Not quite Grok, but closer than our fat, white bodies. They aren't/weren't huge muscle-men. They were lean, strong, and muscular....but I doubt they cared about their diamond delts, bicep vascularity, or Adonis belts.

Hell yeah just lift heavy!

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    What you're calling hypertrophy is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Increase in cell volume - fluid and non-contractile cell structures. I've never heard of it being good for anything but posing. **Maybe** it helps support fiber hypertrophy.

Heavy lifting causes hypertrophy of the contractile fibers that move things.

Also most noticeably puffy guys are drugging.

I strongly doubt that bulking of any type is primal.

I use free weights just 'cause it's easier to move toward decent strength levels progressively that way but I bet being able to do a large number of pushups is more primal than being able to do a 300 pound bench.

I think a lot of people are doing what should be considered 'chronic lifting'. Of course none of us should use that for an excuse to stay a weak and flabby old POS either. Especially me!!

obtw - to be fair some of those puffy bb are very flexible and athletic. Most are very strong. Just not quite as much as athletes who train for performance specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day while watching a video about chimps. Even through their fur you can clearly see their musculature. Chimps are ripped. They swing through trees and climb and stuff all day.
    Word. Don't give them an experimental Alzheimer treatments....

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Hypertrophy is the natural result of lifting heavy. If you lift really heavy, hypertrophy will occur, even in the 3-5 rep range. It won't happen as much as in the 8-12 rep range, but it will occur. So is it primal? yes. It's primal. If you are doing deadlifts, squats, bench and press, you will either be adding muscle as you add weights, or if you aren't adding muscle, you probably aren't adding much weight to the bar either.

My work sets are usually 3 reps in the 90+% of my 1RM, and I'm adding muscle. I tend to do my assistance work in the 10 rep range. My entire training ranges from 1/2 an hour (on deadlift days, I can't do much more after deadlifts and presses) to an hour. max of 3 work sets per movement (not including warmup on the heavy stuff). It's certainly as primal as any other kind of workout. Our mythical ancestor that loves to get bandied about wasn't just moving his bodyweight (not that there's anything wrong with it) he was lifting rocks and dead animals. Lifting heavy things is primal and hypertrophy will result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast