Thread: One arm stronger than the other page

akira is offline Junior Member

One arm stronger than the other

Shop Now
    Hey Folks,
    I'm almost ready to level up to Level 2 of Primal Fitness (sans pull ups, since I don't have a bar yet) but I have noticed that my right arm is significantly stronger than my left. I'm worried that without correcting this problem now, I'll essentially be training my right arm through all these levels and my left arm will remain a weakling. Do you have any advice or links to tutorials of how I, as an extreme beginner, can start to correct this problem?

DSR84 is offline Member
    Can you finish your reps? If so, then there's nothing to worry about. And if you're doing a set of pushups and you go "Man, lefty's getting tired!" and just start cranking out one handed pushups on your right side, that's pretty badass. But seriously, most everyone has a dominant side, and once upon a time, I had similar worries. But I just kept working out "symmetrically" and meeting my goals. Everything got stronger and continues to do so.

Basically, don't worry about it. Just keep working, keep progressing, and both sides'll get stronger over time.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Bodyweight routines like PBF and Convict Conditioning seem to minimize muscle imbalances. My right trapezius (between the neck and the shoulder) used to be way, way bigger than my left. I've been doing Convict Conditioning for about 4-5 months now, and it's starting to balance out- the left is growing faster than the right, which doesn't seem to have gotten any bigger.

primalfamily is offline Member
    from what I've read, it is your opposing side (left for right handed) that tend to be slightly bigger. This is due to slightly lower control we have on that side. but it should not be major,and as we work out longer, they should balance out.

jpatrickclark is offline Member
    I used to think my left arm was slightly stronger (even though I'm right handed) since that was generally the side I carried my kids on when they were younger. But, I do think things are balancing out since I started working out regularly.