Thread: Chris Kresser, posts a challenging article. page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Chris Kresser, posts a challenging article.

Primal Fuel
    Kresser is a very smart guy and I respect his work. Here is an article which challenges a bit of the current paleo thinking on evolution and gene modification.

Reframing the obesity debate: cause/effect, genetics & robot clones
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    meh

his only example of evolution post-paleo age is lactose tolerance in europeans. not exactly ground breaking IMHO
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I think the paleo movement has to incorporate more discussion and research into the 10000 +/- period going forward. Population has exploded exponentially and also the chance at gene modification. (for better or worse, I think we are devolving) The principals of the paleo diet in it's entirety do not apply to all people, humans are individuals not factory assembled machines. I have modified my paleo diet to incorporate white rice and potatoes and a bit more fruit than Mark recommends (we have a mini orchard and grow our own fruit and a lot of veggies).

Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I think the article is just making a nod to why some people experience things differently than others. We are evolving with each generation and some of those mutations are great for dealing with modern life. Others of us have mutations that move us in the other direction and modern life causes horrible problems. I think he's saying to do what works for you and keep learning and trying new things if the current path does not work for you. Many factors besides our genes play into this like the fact that modern medicine allows some to survive childhood that should have died off naturally. If you are in that sub-group, how does this effect life as we age. The puzzle is not simple nor does it fit everyone the same.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was a good article. Liked some of these quotes:

"Id like to see a discussion of obesity that acknowledges the difference between cause and effect, considers the varying impact of food on the metabolically healthy and unhealthy, and recognizes the role of genetics in weight regulation."

"The more damaged you are, the more carbohydrate restriction is likely to benefit you long term."
    - Peter @Hyperlipid

" (If I read another comment from someone saying that a low-carb diet worked for them, so the insulin-carb theory must be correct, Im going to lose it."

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've seen a few critiques of Taubes, who is criticized for, among other things, ignoring the role of leptin in his books, which I feel is a valid criticism. Meanwhile, more and more paleo writers are starting to ease back on the condemnation of carbs. I see this shift already, and I've only been reading about this for a year or so.