Thread: Fasting IF after Crossfit WOD page

David is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Today I did 5 x5 sets of military presses followed by 10 rounds of deadlifts (about 50% of my max) followed by 10 burpees at 6 am. It’s now 9:30 am and doing an IF til noon. Will this have a negative effect on muscle gain? I am trying not to lose weight but am trying to gain muscle mass (I’m 56 years old-have lost some muscle mass)and lose BF “love handles”.

Will IF or longer fast after a workout help me reach my goals (gain muscle and lose BF?

Double-A is offline Junior Member

Also curious as to this: I am on a lengthy fast PRE-workout and plan on eating when I get home.

Benefits/detriments for before/after?

GotPrimal Guest

Mark, did a post about this awhile back.

To summarize, The body has its own capabilities to continue protein synthesis after workouts. So if you go a couple of workouts without protein immediately, 343 seconds after your last rep, you'll be just fine.

Nutrient timing isn't as important for PBers/Functional Fit minded individuals as much as we think it is.

Tarlach is offline Member

Protein synthesis is elevated after strenuous exercise for up to 48 hours. It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference when you eat (as long as you don't make it too long, ie. feel starving hungry).

I prefer to workout at the end of a fast though, as working out in a fasted state has more benefits.

I try to eat about two hours after working out. I think this combination works well.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Kaizen Guest

I wanted to know this as well, seeing as how I was big into the Warrior Diet and IF in general but I'm a big morning workout type of guy. On simple theory I'd think that eating a huge meal(s) in the evening and digesting it over the course of your sleep would provide sufficient energy for the morning workout. Least I would hope so, so you'd actually benefit from your meals by fueling your workouts in the morning. I'm usually not hungry after a workout (unless I haven't eaten in a very long time). Anyone else have info towards this? I never thought the whole "eat immediately after your workout" made a whole lot of sense, I mean the body isn't that fragile and weak that it needs instant nourishment. Just doesn't seem like Grok would chase down an animal and fight it only to come home empty handed and say 'well I have to eat my jerky' if he wasn't hungry.

David is offline Senior Member

Kaizen: I follow the same eating routine as you. And, have noticed that I don't need to eat for a good 2 hours after a X-Fit WOD or something similar.

Good one point...Grok never had food on the table ready to eat after a big hunt. He went without food at times and survived (barring starvation!).

Kaizen Guest

PrimalCon New York

Today I did this, as usual I wasn't hungry and I had a brutal workout. Just had some coconut water afterward and I was good for a good few hours. After that I had some eggs with tomatoes and green chilies. mmm.