Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling like an addict page 2

nuraan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I guess its like being an alcoholic ... as soon as you have a sip you risk going completely off the rails - well thats how i feel. I have to come to terms with the fact that it will be easier for me to say no than to have some and possibly lose control. i tried for a long time to lose weight and im really scared to back to the person i was before ... fat, unhappy and unhealthy so i guess its a small sacrifice (at leaset thats what i keep telling myself).

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I really think there is an addictive part to it, and just like alcohol, having the occasional sweet is a big issue for some people and leads you down that slippery slope, and not a problem at all for others they can just take it or leave it, like nonalcoholics are with drinking.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

shema is offline Senior Member
    I'd just posted to the August Whole 30 thread about the same thing. I'd managed to stay away from sugar and be strictly paleo all month. I threw in a few IF days. I lost 9 pounds, maintained wonderful blood sugars achieved a level of mental clarity that I hadn't in a long time, and I also discovered that it IS possible to forget what the sweet stuff tastes like to the point you don't miss it anymore.

I also learned that you can quickly undo that! At the end of the Whole 30, I treated myself to some whipped cream and chocolate pudding that was served during lunch at work. It eventually turned into too spoons too many, which eventually turned into a blood sugar of 169 and feeling like someone suddenly draped a lead blanket over my brain. UGH! AND, like you I was craving sugar like an addict right after.

After this episode I've learned that I can't do sugar in moderation. I just need to stay off the white crystals for good.

I'm still struggling to get back into the groove, mostly by treating myself to rich low carb/no carb foods until the cravings subside.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    After reading wheat belly and comparing it to my own situation I know understand that the wheat in our food supply is an engineered food that is extremely addictive. When I eat wheat, I have no control over what/when I eat. When I cut out wheat, I will rarely eat something unless I'm hungry.

I'm not convinced that sugar by itself is the problem. It's the combination of sugar and wheat that turns many of us into what I call drug addicts. Basically your life revolves around getting the wheat fix constantly. The big food corporations create frankenfoods made out of wheat, HFCS and vegetable oils. It's cheap to produce, tastes great and it's addicting.

I've struggled with this so much that I know now I basically to have to opt out of the system. Learn how to cook as much of your food as possible. Get food from local farms, get wild fish. Eat coconut butter, get high quality dark chocolate.

KermittheGrok is offline Junior Member
    Even before I started this lifestyle, I have given up sugar for things like Lent, etc. And I always fels so freaking amazing! Then Lent would end, and I'd say, okay, I can handle eating just one peanut butter egg. Yeah right. Within 2 days, I was back to eating junk, craving junk, gaining weight, breaking out, and feeling like complete crap again.

I've realized over the years that I am an "all or nothing" person. I can't do a "cheat day" or even a "taste" because my brain just seems to lose all sense of rationalizing. It is definitely a vicious cycle of addiction.

Gweebles is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    I'm not convinced that sugar by itself is the problem. It's the combination of sugar and wheat that turns many of us into what I call drug addicts. Basically your life revolves around getting the wheat fix constantly. The big food corporations create frankenfoods made out of wheat, HFCS and vegetable oils. It's cheap to produce, tastes great and it's addicting.
    That is SO ME! I don't crave just sugar or just bread, I CRAVE THE DANGED PASTRIES!! I love donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc. If I stay away, I'm ok. Just one bite and I'm like a druggie looking for a fix. I have to avoid it completely to stay sane.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I find that for me personally I only get sugar cravings if I'm tired and hungry. Eating dead animals with lots of fat and veggies usually cure what ails me in that regard.

I'd just get back on the wagon and continue to grok it.

The cravings should go in a week or so, sorta like they did for me when I was starting out.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovana View Post
    Unfortunately in a few weeks I'm going Bar hoping with friends... it will be extreamely challenging to resist a cocktail mainly because of the social pressure.
    There are some more primal alcohol choices like wine.

Also, if your buds are getting pizza and you feel like there are no other options, order some Buffalo wings (even though they are most likely fried in soybean oil)--the sauce is typically made of butter and red hot sauce (you can even order them without the sauce if the only options are super sugary) and eat those. They are filling and may be a better feeling option for you than the pizza. (It all depends on how you react to grains/dairy and soy. I would prefer to eat soybean oil fried wings w/out sauce than gluten pizza w/ cheese as the second will leave me feeling AWFUL for days...) You could also always prepare yourself before going out by keeping primal snacks in your purse.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweebles View Post
    That is SO ME! I don't crave just sugar or just bread, I CRAVE THE DANGED PASTRIES!! I love donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc. If I stay away, I'm ok. Just one bite and I'm like a druggie looking for a fix. I have to avoid it completely to stay sane.
    Odd. I have no problem eating pastries and other "wheaty" stuff without setting off a binge, but give me a single piece of chocolate or a sip of soda and I'm screwed...

Soda (especially Coke) and chocolate are the two major triggers for me. Pretty much everything else is fine, except maybe chocolate pudding and vanilla sauce...
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    The cravings should go in a week or so, sorta like they did for me when I was starting out.
    My (main) problem is not the initial cravings, since those you can get trough with sheer willpower. The real problem comes when you have a bite of chocolate cake at a birthday dinner after staying off sugar for six months.... You weren't really craving for the cake at the time, you just thought it would be safe to just have a small taste. After all, you haven't binged on sugar in months, right? Well, turns it it doesn't go so well after that...

I know, without a doubt, that I can force myself to go without sugar for 7 days or 30 days (and I've done so many times in the past), but go without sugar forever? Not so sure. Not even sure if I actually want that.

So, the real question I need to find an answer to, is whether it's actually possible for me to have an "every now and then" relationship with sweets or not. I still don't have the answer to that, but I'm starting to think it might not.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast