Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi there, I need help.... page

mjj
    mjj is offline Junior Member

Hi there, I need help....

Primal Fuel
    Hi there from Scotland

I am new to the community and to Paleo. I have been eating this way for only about 5 days but have tried twice over the previous 3 weeks to stick with the new eating. I have Crohn's Disease. I have found that my health has been gradually getting worse so thought I would try Paleo out as it seemed such a sensible way of eating. Within 24 hours my constant visits to the bathroom ceased. Great stuff. BUT....over the last 2 days I have gained a lb every day. I don't know why. Now, I know you guys will probably say don't weigh yourself everyday but I just have to. It helps. Unless I gain. So, if I tell you what I ate the last 2 days perhaps you folks may have suggestions of where I am going wrong.

Saturday - 2 cups of decaf tea, 2 sausages, 1 plum, 4 pints of water, a small bowl of homemade tomato soup (in a restaurant), 2 cups of decaf coffee, 2 slices of ham, small piece of goats cheese, salad and 1.5 baby potatoes, 6 cherries, 4 grapes and a large banana and low cal options hot choc to end day (I have this every night)

Sunday - 2 cups of decaf tea, 2 sausages, 4 nuts, 11 raisins, a salmon fillet, a tbsp sour cream and salad, 1 plum, 3 small squares of Green and Blacks organic dark chocolate, 1 slice of ham, couple of carrots and asparagus, 1 and a bit chicken legs, 1 cup decaf coffee, 2.5 pints of water and an options hot choc to end day.

It all sounds a bit obsessive with the exact amounts I know but I am keeping the diary for my Crohns. To see what days are good and what are bad and what I have eaten to perhaps make it worse.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am also struggling for breakfast. I am a really fussy eater which doesnt help. Eggs are making me feel sick as is bacon. Just not sure what to bulk up on in the morning.

Many thanks
    Last edited by mjj; 09-05-2011 at 01:39 AM.

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    Hello

I'm in scotland too! I would say - watch the sausages - unless these are 95% pork you are eating wheat, sugar and other fillers. Asda do a 97% gluten free sausage. Also I'm watching starchy vegetables as well - carrots would probably not be my first choice for veg - go towards the green stuff to start.

Options hot chocolate is also not a good idea - full of chemicals & artificial sweeteners.

My food diary is like this at the moment: 3 x eggs & 2 x bacon fried in coconut oil, lunch fish & green salad, mayo & olive oil, Dinner beef, lamb or pork with a big serving of non starchy veg or salad. I also have about 150gms of Natural full fat yoghurt during the day. If you like dark choc try going up a level to Lindts 90% - about halve the carbs of greens & blacks 85%. I have about 4-6 squares a day.

I'm staying away from sugar including fruit, white rubbish, starches and processed foods to start me off.

As clean as possible.

Good luck

mjj
    Thanks for the advice Pollydinasaur. Will keep an eye on the sausages. I had been only eating Sainsburys 97% pork sausages but ran out and have been eating Tesco's finest which taste great but much lower on pork and higher in rubbish so will go shopping today. I know I need to knock the Options Hot choc on the head. It was a way of keeping me from burying my head into a pack of biscuits or the like - i.e fought off the sugar urge but perhaps I should just have a little bit of choccy at that time instead. Will buy the Lindts as you suggested.

I stuggle with the greener veg not only cos of the Crohns but also cos, dare I say it, I dont really love dark green veggies like savoy cabbage and broccoli. But I can up the spinach which I do like. I guess I just need to be more organised and plan more.

How long have you been doing the Paleo for? How are you finding it?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Add butter to your veggies, helps with the taste.

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    Butter on veg is amazing - really does make everything taste amazing!.

I only started being "properly" primal approx 2 weeks ago but I've been researching this way of eating for a few months.

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose weight despite sticking to 1500 cals a day, running 40 miles a week and fitting in 4-5 exercise classes.

Started looking stuff up on the internet and stumbled on to various resources.

I'm doing this as a complete lifestyle change and WOL (and loving it so far).

Good luck,

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjj View Post
    Hi there from Scotland
    Within 24 hours my constant visits to the bathroom ceased.
    Great stuff. BUT....over the last 2 days I have gained a lb every day.
    I don't know why.
    Your full of poop?....

mjj
    Ha ha. Oh, you mean literally. Nooooo. It was just the constant visits to the bathroom that have ceased, still visiting every day though.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    :>) ... hopeful, that with a little more time the weight starts dropping
    Last edited by springnr; 09-05-2011 at 01:52 PM.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert on PB, and I really don't know the requirements for Crohn's so if I make a recommendation that is contrary to your needs with your disease, please ignore.

Saturday - 2 cups of decaf tea, 2 sausages, 1 plum, 4 pints of water, a small bowl of homemade tomato soup (in a restaurant), 2 cups of decaf coffee, 2 slices of ham, small piece of goats cheese, salad and 1.5 baby potatoes, 6 cherries, 4 grapes and a large banana and low cal options hot choc to end day (I have this every night)
    1 plum, 6 cherries, 4 grapes and an large banana - this is a lot of fruit! It was one of the early things that I got comments on here as I started with a lot of fruit. I know, it's summer and there is a lot of great fruit out there but it add fructose and carbs to your diet. Add the baby potatoes for even more carbs. I try to keep my fruit intake down to 1-2 pieces a day - okay, 2 pieces a day because it's summer. All your meat is processed - ham, sausages. I don't know if that affects weight but the processing isn't great for you. Some processed meat is okay - but try for less in your diet. Try fish (salmon and trout ought to be easy to find), beef, venison and other game meats (my memory is you can buy some of these in the stores in scotland - very jealous, very very jealous).

It all sounds a bit obsessive with the exact amounts I know but I am keeping the diary for my Crohns.
    It actually not obsessive at all. A lot of us here, even those without a serious disease, track our food intake in a fairly detailed manner at least some of the time. It's also really useful to have a record like this when you want advise in the forum. You might want to try FitDay - which is an on-line tracker that will let you look at your macros (protein, carbs, cholesterol). I find it useful.

Good luck!
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have IBD and can totally sympathize. If you are keeping track of your food intake anyway, you may want to put it on fitday.com or some such so you can get an idea of the amount of carbs you are eating. I would guess they are a tad high for weight loss.

I would say get your greens any way you can.

For breakfast, you can do a smoothie using a protein powder. I used to make one with baby spinach in it. the MDA site also has a bunch of recipes. as does Recipe index The primal recipe archive

good luck.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast