Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal food for babies/ kids? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

Primal food for babies/ kids?

Primal Fuel
    For those of you parents who eat primally, do you feed similar foods to your baby/ kids? Low-carb, high protein and fat? Does the digestive system tolerate meats and fats well?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, it's fine.

my son was not raised primally until he was 2.5-ish, but he always ate meat, veggies, fruit, and of course -- grains, though we rarely ate grains ourselves. his most common meal: beef strips or patties with broccoli, finished off with berries and coconut cream or yogurt. Eggs in butter, bacon, asparagus or other veggie, and berries with coconut cream or yogurt.

kid has always just eaten this way because that's how we eat. we've always been "low grain/beans" -- eating bread once a week or less (usually less for me); eating pasta once a week or less (usually less for me); eating rice once a week or less (usually less for me). because I wasn't eating these things, I also wasn't cooking them.

of course, at the time, i rarely ate meat -- so he got a fair bit of cheese as well.

but, he always ate the meat his dad made, and whatever I would have as well. And, like me, he's big into soups of all kinds. Now I make them with bone broths instead of veggie broths, but it's all good. he's a happy camper.

He's been primal for about 9 months now, and he's doing just fine.

today he had:

brekkie: eggs, bacon, sausage, stewed tomatoes, roasted mushrooms, and steamed broccoli, and bananas in yogurt with cod liver oil;

lunch: cavolo nero (kale-like cabbage) sauteed with roasted red peppers with a bit of minced beef;

snack: (while at kindy) sliced veg and fruit, rice balls with tamari sauce (they always serve a grain, so we pop this into his 20%, but we aren't worried about it at all, per se). apparently he just ate fruit and veg today.

dinner: two beef patties (about the size of my palm) plus some cheese slices (by special request; he's the only one in the house who eats cheese) plus cucumber, bell peppers, and steamed cauliflower, all dipped in an aoli (home made)

tomorrow, he'll have eggs with cavolo nero and red bell pepper and mushroom in a frittata, with mixed berries and yogurt with cod liver oil; morroccan BBQ beef with butternut squash, broccoli, and cauliflower (and probably cavolo nero); and for dinner, steak, salad, and he might get a kumara if his dad is up for making them (since his dad is working out tomorrow and likes a kumara on work-out days).

oh, and he has a mug of bone broth (usually chicken) every day.

he also doesn't wear sun screen or shoes (if we can avoid them). this makes the kindy a BIT nuts, because we also don't enforce hat wearing. but that's a whole other thread.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I've only been primal for a month but my 10 month old baby is completely primal too. She has responded so well to it. She no longer has a chronic cough or runny nose. She is sleeping a lot more and seems happier. I wouldn't call her diet low carb though as she is still getting a lot of lactose (carbs) through breast milk. When people want to give her bread I just say she is trialling a gluten free diet and it's working!

My 6 year old is another matter! I have tried telling her grandparents that I want to see if her asthma improves with a gluten free diet and they keep buying her crap. She's 6, she's not going to say no. It's actually really starting to bug me
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    My 4 yo twins and 9 month old baby are all primal. Have been so or about 6 weeks. Let's put it this way: out of 50 kids in kindergarten, mine were the only ones who didn't get gastro this year! And no more tummy-aches or constipation.
    They all handle the food well, they et the same as me, but less eggs, more rice and while I have 3 teaspoons of coconut oil pr day, the twins get 2 spoons, and the baby gets one.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

When you first started your baby on solids, what foods did you start with?

Hi zoebird,

Thanks for sharing in such detail!

When your son started eating primally, did he have a transition period?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yes, it's fine.

my son was not raised primally until he was 2.5-ish, but he always ate meat, veggies, fruit, and of course -- grains, though we rarely ate grains ourselves. his most common meal: beef strips or patties with broccoli, finished off with berries and coconut cream or yogurt. Eggs in butter, bacon, asparagus or other veggie, and berries with coconut cream or yogurt.

kid has always just eaten this way because that's how we eat. we've always been "low grain/beans" -- eating bread once a week or less (usually less for me); eating pasta once a week or less (usually less for me); eating rice once a week or less (usually less for me). because I wasn't eating these things, I also wasn't cooking them.

of course, at the time, i rarely ate meat -- so he got a fair bit of cheese as well.

but, he always ate the meat his dad made, and whatever I would have as well. And, like me, he's big into soups of all kinds. Now I make them with bone broths instead of veggie broths, but it's all good. he's a happy camper.

He's been primal for about 9 months now, and he's doing just fine.

today he had:

brekkie: eggs, bacon, sausage, stewed tomatoes, roasted mushrooms, and steamed broccoli, and bananas in yogurt with cod liver oil;

lunch: cavolo nero (kale-like cabbage) sauteed with roasted red peppers with a bit of minced beef;

snack: (while at kindy) sliced veg and fruit, rice balls with tamari sauce (they always serve a grain, so we pop this into his 20%, but we aren't worried about it at all, per se). apparently he just ate fruit and veg today.

dinner: two beef patties (about the size of my palm) plus some cheese slices (by special request; he's the only one in the house who eats cheese) plus cucumber, bell peppers, and steamed cauliflower, all dipped in an aoli (home made)

tomorrow, he'll have eggs with cavolo nero and red bell pepper and mushroom in a frittata, with mixed berries and yogurt with cod liver oil; morroccan BBQ beef with butternut squash, broccoli, and cauliflower (and probably cavolo nero); and for dinner, steak, salad, and he might get a kumara if his dad is up for making them (since his dad is working out tomorrow and likes a kumara on work-out days).

oh, and he has a mug of bone broth (usually chicken) every day.

he also doesn't wear sun screen or shoes (if we can avoid them). this makes the kindy a BIT nuts, because we also don't enforce hat wearing. but that's a whole other thread.

Hi Athanesey,

Does your baby eat meats?

I can see one of the hardest parts of this being other people expecting my kid to follow traditional diet (rice every meal) and that by not doing so I'd be risking her health..

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasey View Post
    I've only been primal for a month but my 10 month old baby is completely primal too. She has responded so well to it. She no longer has a chronic cough or runny nose. She is sleeping a lot more and seems happier. I wouldn't call her diet low carb though as she is still getting a lot of lactose (carbs) through breast milk. When people want to give her bread I just say she is trialling a gluten free diet and it's working!

My 6 year old is another matter! I have tried telling her grandparents that I want to see if her asthma improves with a gluten free diet and they keep buying her crap. She's 6, she's not going to say no. It's actually really starting to bug me

Hi Glamorama,

Wow, no more tummyaches or constipation... sounds great!

Do you take coconut oil by the spoonful or cook with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    My 4 yo twins and 9 month old baby are all primal. Have been so or about 6 weeks. Let's put it this way: out of 50 kids in kindergarten, mine were the only ones who didn't get gastro this year! And no more tummy-aches or constipation.
    They all handle the food well, they et the same as me, but less eggs, more rice and while I have 3 teaspoons of coconut oil pr day, the twins get 2 spoons, and the baby gets one.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Hi Athanesey,

Does your baby eat meats?

I can see one of the hardest parts of this being other people expecting my kid to follow traditional diet (rice every meal) and that by not doing so I'd be risking her health..
    Our baby is a meataholic. She eats fruit and vegetables too but meat is definitely her favourite. We did baby led weaning right from the get go, so she has always eaten the same foods as the rest of the family. She only has a couple of teeth but she eats everything. Right now she is chewing away on a piece of biltong (South African jerky)

It can be hard when you go against the grain (haha) with the family. A lot of people don't like having their fundamental ideas challenged.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Hi Glamorama,

Wow, no more tummyaches or constipation... sounds great!

Do you take coconut oil by the spoonful or cook with it?
    By spoon. They love it. Only use it in Asian cooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast