Thread: I...heal better/faster? page

LessThanZero is offline Member

I...heal better/faster?

Primal Fuel
    I've seen it mentioned in other people's posts now and again. I experienced it first hand this weekend.

I was playing on the playground equipment with the young-uns and I wasn't paying attention (avoid stupid mistakes!) and missed a step down. Not only that, but as I fell down 20 inches unexpected, I racked both of my shins against the platform I was expecting to step/jump onto.

EXPLOSIVE PAIN. I knew immediately that I'd screwed up and it was pretty serious feeling. Not so bad to call for a trip to the hospital, but I was going to be sitting down for the next 10 minutes to recover.

The site surrounding the impact immediately swelled up larger than i'd ever seen myself swell up before. Maybe I was puffy all of the time before so a swelling wasn't THAT much extra? I wish i'd taken a picture of it because it was ENORMOUS. My wife asked if we should go the hospital (I laughed at her).

Suprisingly, it didn't hurt in the least. Still doesn't, but it's little tender. What shocks me is that an injury against my legs like this before would have resulted in massive bruises that would last for weeks accompanied by tenderness and soreness. There is no bruise except for tiny pinpoints at the impact site.

I've been eating only a once a day. I have to wonder if just having fatty acids in my bloodstream in conjunction with an inflamation reducing diet (primal) allowed my body to react immediately with the full force of my injury response and turn a potentially debillitating injury into a relatively minor event?

I mean, it worked perfectly: the immediate site around the impact swelled up to slow/staunch bloodflow. After about 15 minutes, I didn't even really feel the pain from the injury (not euphoric, but it didn't hurt unless I banged it against something) and was able to play some more and then walk another 1.5 miles. The day after, the swelling was half the size as the largest point.

i did it just over 24 hours ago and I can barely see/feel the damage any longer.

I feel like Wolverine.

<0
    Last edited by LessThanZero; 09-05-2011 at 12:20 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you rule!

i have a tendency to get "funny" bruises. IE, i bruise, and have no idea how I got it. Now that I think of it, and I look at myself, I currently have no bruises, but I probably walk into things just as much as I did before. So, yeah, probably.

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    I bruise easily when I am low in iron. I find I have less bruises when eating primal due to the iron in all the steak/beef I eat. I have always eaten a lot of spinach and broccoli but was still always anemic. In theory you should heal faster if your body is already healthy and not currently trying to fight other issues. Less for your immune system to have to multitask and monitor maybe.
    My grandmother takes blood thinners to prevent a heart attack. She bruises like mad at the slightest bump and a sneeze will result in a major nose bleed. Her skin is paper thin and easily damaged. Her bruises never swell up and when she took a bad fall and twisted her ankle it barely swelled. I personally think Grok & family would have had much more bumps and scrapes and falls then we do today in our paved and levelled world so it makes sense that a paleo body should be able to take a tumble and recover quickly. Your skin is probably in better condition, more elastic and pliable so less likely to bruise from damaged capillaries. Swelling is a site specific fluid build up and is thought to help stabilize a sprain. Odds are someone eating the SAD and retaining a lot of fluid to begin with would already be slightly swollen. In theory, if you are not retaining fluids you would notice an injury related swelling as more obvious.
    Last edited by Leanne; 09-05-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: can't spell... I should go to bed!
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I've also noticed that I'm bruising less easily, which is great news. I also seem to be healing from cuts more quickly as well - I managed to cut my thumb whilst cleaning out a rabbit at the weekend (stupid mistake, quite a deep cut on the ball of the thumb), and now only two days later it looks like a tiny scratch rather than something my daughter felt needed stitching. Before, something like that would take weeks to heal properly!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Wow that's awesome! I've noticed things like stretch marks and old scars fading after years, so I guess I am healing at a faster rate.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you rule!

i have a tendency to get "funny" bruises. IE, i bruise, and have no idea how I got it. Now that I think of it, and I look at myself, I currently have no bruises, but I probably walk into things just as much as I did before. So, yeah, probably.
    You know...I usually have a bunch on my body too, but now that I look I don't see any random ones either.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Wow that's awesome! I've noticed things like stretch marks and old scars fading after years, so I guess I am healing at a faster rate.
    this is pretty cool. I have some old stretch marks and stuff and it looks like they're starting to fade a little faster. I prob need more time eating this way still before I see some of the longer term effects.

This is just surreal. It's like every aspect of my life is better since making the change. That blow to my legs seriously felt like some kid took a baseball bat and smacked it across them (I say kid because an adult would prob have broken my shin bones). I kept showing the lack of bruise and massive swelling to the grain eaters around me citing my healing prowess and they looked at me like I was a raving lunatic. lol

<0 'raving lunatic' (apparently)

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil and increased intake of Vit K2 is what helps with the stretch marks.

(does that also help with shrinking my old unused skin down?)

<0