Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 Day Cold Shower Challenge: The Final Test page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LessThanZero View Post
    I think i'm gonna try this out. I've always been wussy when it comes to cold water, swimming in lakes/rivers. I want to conquer that fear/unpleasantness and the damn king of fearlessly jumping into mountain rivers. I'm going to look at this as toughness training. This is just mind over matter and an excellent example of the tiny things you can do day to day to improve yourself.

The idea of the "what would the BEST version of yourself do?" I like this a lot. It's where I've been trying to head also. To actually become the ideal image of myself in all aspects of my life. No longer dreaming and wishing I was this ideal image...but actually working towards it.

I see the benefits to be more of the mental confidence of overcoming a situation where 95% of people would stutter/falter or fail. It's about knowing yourself and where you stand. Intimate knowledge of what you can do and how you'll handle it.

<0
    Um. Not buying it. I fully know that I could take a cold shower any time I wanted to. I just don't choose to. I can see the idea of working on improving and toughening yourself, say through physical conditioning, but showers? Still not seeing the point.

LessThanZero is offline Member
    I can understand that. Not everything we do is for some physical benefit. Sometimes it's a comforting mental reassurance or a virtual pat on the back. I'd like to expand that philosophy to include some of what Phil's message (that I received) which is...what would your ideal self do? That is...the person you would like to be.

This is just a minor step on that road to overcome a mental block or challenge. I'm not saying that I'll never take a hot shower again. I'm just saying that I see this as an excellent drill into overcoming a shocking physical condition, driving through that pain/shock/stimuli and quickly regaining your mental faculties and operating normally. It's like 'sprints for your mind' to not allow regression into a un-thinking and reactive state during times of stress to your physical body.

Think of it as an excercise in stress management.

I'm liking this more and more, Phil.

<0

Paleobird Guest
    I just climbed a 19,340 foot high mountain. I don't feel the need to prove my mental or physical toughness by taking a cold shower. But, like I said, have fun.

yoder is offline Member
    I read a while back that it is good for your skin and hair, and for your circulation. I don't know how true all that is, although I think it does help with your hair a little, at least if you have my kind and don't do any shampoo (but it is negligible). But, it definitely saves a little money for hot water. I think it helps with cold tolerance. It's nice not to "need" water for bathing/showers, as this is a situation that you encounter as you go about your life from time to time for one reason or another. And, most importantly, it does seem more invigorating, and gets me going better. I don't languish in the shower as long as I did in the past. Once adjusted, it's only the very beginning of the shower that is slightly uncomfortable for a brief moment.

LessThanZero is offline Member
    I took an 80% cold shower this morning. I figured I'd ease in a bit. I did blast it down to 100% at the end.

One thing is for sure, my shower was much shorter lol!!

I think it felt pretty good. I'm going to stick with it a bit and see how I feel. I'm sorta wondering if this is good for stretched out skin and getting it to snap back into shape. I'll be able to plunge into rivers and lakes no problem soon!

<0

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I used to love taking cold showers. I get a rush out of it, probably more of a boost than I get from a couple of strong coffees, even.

Hell, after reading this I'm going to add cold showers to the rest of my September Whole30. Thanks for the idea.

Edit: I just remembered it was alternating between super hot and full cold, in 30 second bursts. Always ending on cold. Some kind of blood flow help? I forget exactly what I had read on it. I'll have to google it up when I'm not on my phone.
    Last edited by Bane; 09-07-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Freshy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like how it fits in to the primal existence. How many "hot" showers/baths did grok experience? Unless he had a hotspring around, very few I would expect. Lot's of benefits to be had by taking cold showers: Thermogenesis, less dry skin & hair, most likely less time in the shower wasting time because it's not as comfortable.....Flip it around. What is the point of a hot shower all the time? I'm going to give it a go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12