Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal of VeloCity.X - wheeling through the Mound City page 2

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Not too much to report today.

IF today. Felt hunger several times through the day, much more so than last week. Did cheat and have a piece of sugarless gum in the afternoon.

Was supposed to be a recovery day today, but ended up spending all day on the job site walking around for punch list re-inspection. Hotel is supposed to open up at the end of the month, so crazy times. And then meeting started to run late and I had my counselor appointment, so I ended up running the mile and a half or whatever from the job site to my car. And blasting the air so I could cool down before my appointment.

Finished up, came home, kids got dropped of by their mother, read to them a bit, and now innerwebs time. But going to bed early.

Ok, one good thing for the day. 34" pants and new medium polo shirt. Maybe got to get some new pants, though. All my old 34's are pleat front. Flat front's the current style, right?
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

B - 1 1/2 eggs scrambled in tons of bacon fat and drippings. 4 pieces bacon
    L - Grilled chicken thigh, broccoli. Good sized mixed green salad w/ conventional (but local) balsamic vinegar and oil dressing. Mixed berries.
    D - Bunches of mixed green salad w/ taco meat, shredded cheese and salsa.
    Snacks - 1 tiny piece of Gooey Butter Cake at work - maybe the size of a domino. Did have about a cup of chocolate milk at bed time. 1 piece of sugarless gum at work.

Walked the kids 2.5 blocks to Friday mass, then rode my bike the rest of the way to work.
    Another day of walking around doing final review of hotel rooms. Boring and on my feet all day. While I know sitting all day is awful, I think standing around looking at ceilings with little actual walking can be just as bad. My back started aching by the end of the day.
    Lead another Spinning class today. Really don't like doing 3 per week. Would be much happier with two.
    Rode home, kids balked on Hispanic Fest for dinner so we went to the Balloon Glow instead. We all got a nice walk - 1.5 miles rount trip maybe? - too and from the car.
    Fooled around on the internet and now going to bed.

I distinctly remember other Spinning instructors trying to do classes where you would get your heart rate pegged right at the beginning of class and try to keep it there the whole time. I remember one yelling about making transitions between exercises and trying to not let your heart rate go down. I never quite got that since it's nothing like real riding (even most racing). But now after a Primal transition, I find myself even more actively trying to not do that. Different exercises, different muscle groups, different heart rates. I'm trying (the best I can) to hit strength, endurance, speed.... trying to cover as many bases as possible.

For me personally though, riding in general and Spinning in particular have become just parts in a much more overall focus. Now I feel like I'm getting much more out of my cross fit with St. Louis Primal meet up, circuit training (body weight and some dumbbell kettel bell exercises with an emphasis on core and stability) at the Y, and my own made up body weight routines (pull ups, push ups, planks, burpees, etc.) Just would like to get a little more running in. Especially with Warrior Dash coming up.

Oh! I forgot my brag of the day. So another day with a new polo shirt (medium) and some older 34" pants. Had 2 people do a complete double take like they hadn't seen me before. Both said that they had noticed I had been losing a little weight but were shocked when the saw me. Amazing what clothes that actually fit can do! One was a totally sweet girl in the office (told her she made my morning) and the other was one of the contractors I see every day. It was really cool. And I don't feel like I'm done losing, and I know I'm no where near done gaining strength and fitness. Got another 15 to 20 lbs of fat to lose and still shooting for Al Kavadlo type feats of strength. (only a couple of days in but think the single pull-up every time through the bedroom door is helping.)

So I guess last night was the test. Salad with taco meat and a good amount of failry spicy salsa. Stomach could feel it a bit in the evening, and I was expecting last night would be bad. But no waking up in pain, no reaching for the Tums. Nothing. Just woke up in the morning feeling fine.

Time to start weaning myself off the Prilosec, perhaps?

I won't say I'm down to zero issues, and still taking the prilosec, but nothing like I used to be, that's for sure. Used to be Prilosec once a day, would take a Pepcid if I knew I would be having something especially troublesome for dinner (pizza, Indian, Etheopian, etc.) and would still often wake up in the middle of the night and pop Tums.

However, I had figured out that it was a relaxed sphincter issue, cause I could have basically all the acid neutralized and would still on occasion have (TMI here) some foul and nasty tasting but not acidic stuff bubble up. Not a single incident of that since going Primal.

I am so pleased.

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.... Saturday was a bad day, back to SAD for the day. Farmer's markets, Hispanic Festical downtown, and outdoor movie, all with the kids. And the result was indigestion over night and still some issues today.

B - Breakfast burritos at the Farmer's Market. Chorizo, scrambled egg, beans, chili sauce, cilantro and a sprinkle of cheese on two small flour tortillas. Also had a bite of DD's banana and nutella crepe.
    L - Odd tamale at HispFest. Cooked in foil, seemed to be a chicken thigh - bone in, and a lot of jalapeno in the masa. And a spicy meat filled Argentinian empanada.
    D - BBQ ribs and pulled pork. Also had a few handfulls of tortilla chips and animal crackers while at the movie.

Normally I would have thought the fat content in the ribs was causing my problems. Myabe that's not the case? Jalapenos and spices in the little bit of BBQ sauce I used? Fat with the various grains throughout the day? Guess I need to slow cook up a rack of ribs to do some experimentation....

Cold and threatening rain all day so kids and I drove to places. But in the morning I did 4 rounds of 4 to 6 pull-ups, 20 to 30 push ups, 30 bicycle crunches, 15 to 20 jack-knife push ups, and 30 count side planks. With the boy watching me and asking questions the whole time....

So this is Saturday's journal entry but for breakfast today I had 3 eggs cooked in a ton of bacon fat and 3 slices bacon. So a lot of fat. Lunch was at a friend's party, so roasted chicken, mixed green salad, and some really yummy moussaka (sp?). Feel totally full so I have no interest in dinner. But my stomach is bothering me again. Can't help but think of the grease in ribs and eggs.... Need to try some of the self experimentation Mark posted about a few days ago.

Another entry in the most boring journal in the world. But at least I'm keeping it going.

Ok, pretty much had Sunday taken care of. Thinking my stomach issues may have been due to a dodgy tamale. Really felt bad at one point last night. But feeling fine today.

On to Monday...
    B: 1.5 eggs, 3 slices Bacon, 3/4 to 1 cup mixed berries - black, rasp, and blue. Yummy.
    L: Grilled chicken thigh, grilled broccoli. Did have a tiny slice of Hil's birthday cake. Really sweet but tasty all the same.
    D: Prob about 1 lb grilled rib-eye. Kids wanted 'family movie night' so made up a decidedly non-primal pizza for them (snuck a small slice for myself) but they are now getting big enough they will eat just about the whole thing, so that removes *that* temptation!
    Had a later snack of a couple of hard boiled eggs.

Kinda rainy here so I didn't ride to work, but I did do the circuit training class at the Y. 2 rounds 12 stations, 1 minute each. Gobler squats, elevated push ups, jump rope, resistance band curls, burpees with a sprawl and alternating heel lift, left and right side planks, left and right twisting jab, plank with alternating heel lifts, triceps extension, and sumo walk. Good overall workout. Did a set of 8 pull-ups after, started a set of chin-ups but was fried.

So it's only been a few days, but I think this 'pull up every time in our out of bedroom' may be working. Feeling very comfortable with the 1, and thought I was doing pretty good with 8 after a decent workout. At one point I could do about 14. I want to be able to break 20.

Now, quandry of the evening... Can I take the kids to the Meetup St. Louis Primal WOD tomorrow eveing? Will they behave in the park for the 30 to 45 min while I do the workout? Play on their own? Hmmmmm..... Do I resort to bribery?

B - 2 scrambled eggs, 1.5 bananas, about a cup of mixed berries, 2 slices bacon
    L - Grilled chicken thigh, cauliflower roasted in bacon fat (yum), plum, apple
    S - Several pieces of beef jerky, banana, did sneak in a couple tortilla chips
    D - Couple pan fried hamburger patties (w/ some butter), bunch of baked kale chips.

Baked Kale Chips, where have you been my whole life? You should be served at movie theaters. You should be served at baseball games. You should be served piping hot at farmers markets. You should come in vending machines.

Another day of walking around a building looking at mostly finished hotel rooms. Standing and light walking all day is tiring.

Taught my spinning class today. Got some good HIIT and some heavier/muscle work.

Did the WOD in the park with the St. Louis Primal Meetup group. Had a blast. Stations with sprints, squat jumps, and burpies. We were supposed to bring something heavy to carry from station to station. I had my kids so I carried my nearly-8 yo daughter from station to station. Indigo used my nearly-6-but-small son. I carried her on my hip mostly, Indigo carried him piggie-back. The had a lot of fun with it, as did I. I love them. And they are excited to do it again. The boy was doing the jumping jacks and knee lifts during warm-up too.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's the most boring journal in the world! Love the idea of using the kids as weights, and what fun for them, too.

Like you, I started primal living at a very low point (last October) and it really helped keep me on a positive trajectory despite everything. I am still amazed when I look back that I didn't absolutely crumble with everything that was going on, so I can vouch for the benefits that go waaaay beyond dropping some weight.

A few comments:

Sunflower seeds - I wouldn't have seeds/nuts "most days", but I wouldn't say they're necessarily a problem. On the other hand, a *cup* of sunflower seeds is IMO too much. All seeds have some of the anti-nutrient issues that grass seeds, aka grains, have, so it's not a bad habit to minimize their intake. And although it's not the calories but the relative nutrition from given calories, per nutridiary:
    Seeds, sunflower seed kernels, dried (1 cup, 144g)
    Calories 820.8
    Total Carbohydrate 27g
    Sugars 3.8g
    That's quite a lot of calories and a lot of carbs, too, for what's probably pretty mindless snacking. Not judging, just commenting because you wondered about it, above!

Overall, keeping the rest of your diet clean is more important than denying yourself something you like that's not all that terrible, so it's really a judgment call. You may find as you go along that you cut more stuff like that out. (It's a process -- I was astonished to find a can of water-packed tuna in my cupboard this morning. Yucque, how tasteless that would be to me now!)

You didn't ask about this, but my unsolicited two-cents' worth is that you're snacking an awful lot, and your snacks tend to be less on the good side or outright cheats. At the same time, many of your meals look (as you commented) a bit meager. What about having three fat juicy chicken thighs plus vegetables for your meal? And then don't eat until your next meal? Nutridiary says one thigh (skin removed) is about 110 calories, so add the skin back in and I'll guesstimate 200 calories per thigh -- even at 250 you could have 4 thighs at dinner for much more nutritional value than that cup o' seeds.

My guess is you're doing fine because you have a lot of moving around in your daily activities, but overall a cleaner diet will pack in the nutrition more efficiently, keep you fuller longer (thus resisting temptations much more easily), and as a result get you further faster.

Brilliant idea with pull-ups every time you pass the bar, by the way. I bet you'll be doing more than 20 easily by Christmas!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Hey, thanks for the response! Interestingly I haven't had any sunflower seeds in probably a week or more. And I'm not sure about the cup measurement, that was just a guess, and that was for unshelled nuts, not shelled kernels. A cup unshelled is about 1/3 cup shelled or so.

And I'm still working on the meal size issues. Just seem to be hungrier on some days than others....

Ok, did Tuesday, now on to Wednesday....
    B - 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices bacon, handful of blueberries, banana
    L - Chicken thigh, roasted caluliflower, apple
    D - Not so good here... Beer and nachos at the cyclocross race. Bad night from the diet standpoint, but still a good time.

Had to run home in the afternoon for a home inspection, so didn't get to ride to work. Stupid occupancy permits.
    Another Spinning class. They really need to get some other instructors. I'd really prefer to just teach 2 per week. But, mixed it up with a bit of HIIT and leg strength. Formwork, etc.
    Very east 1 hour+ ride with a friend in the evening. Way too beautiful of a night to pass up. Riverfront Trail, nice and flat, and not too windy.

In the evening I went to see the elite race of the first Gateway Cross Cup cyclocross race. Johnathon Page, Tim Johnson, Todd Wells, Ryan Trebon, Jeremy Powers, etc. A Wednesday Night stop over on their way up to Madison for the weekend. Pretty wicked fast and fun looking barrier, step ups, and a cool flyover. Might need to pick up cyclocross again. Closest to cross-fit on the bike there is. Unfortunately Mike gave me a VIP bracelet with access to free beer and food.... Damn him. I took advantage of it.

And tonight is Dad's Night Out with the kids' school. Once a month the dads get together and go to a bar. Actually a lot of fun, but I haven't gone all summer. I should go tonight. Guessing I should break today's IF beforehand.... Will keep it reasonable tonight, though.

Let's see.....

Thursday.
    IF. Did have a few bouts of hunger and tiredness during the day. More so than other times. But that was probably due to the poor diet the day before.
    Did end up breaking it around 8 pm. Typically I try to do 2 sleep cycles in my fast, but I knew I had to go out with the school dads.... so...
    D - 2 hard boiled eggs, a bit of jerky, and a banana.
    Did have 2 kind of wine glass/snifter size glasses of Crispin's special release wine barrel aged cider w/ the school dads. Tasty.

Walked around the project all day. Well, I suppose standing is a more appropriate discription. And had my counseling session before Dad's night.

Friday
    B - 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices bacon, 1 banana, 1 apple.
    L - 1 chicken thigh, cauliflower baked in bacon fat, 1 plum.
    D - 1 lb +/- rib eye (cooked on stove in cast iron pan w/ butter), 1 bunch broiled asparagus w/ EVOO, 1 med. sweet potato sliced and pan fried in left over butter/beef fat.
    Late Snack - 12 mussels in tomato/dark ale broth w/ chorizo. 1 glass pinot noir, couple of cookies.

Again walking around doing punch lists. Taught my spinning class, but kept it light. First day this week I was able to ride to/from work. Had to drive all the rest of the week. Of coures, pull-ups in and out of bedroom and did a couple of sets after spinning. But shoulder was hurting just a bit, so may need to drop down number on those. Was doing just 1, but now doing 4 to 6 each time. May be over doing it. Also knee has weird buckling sensation from time to time. What's up with that?

Met up with my possible ex-to-be for a drink and to talk a bit. It was good. It was nice. But very superficial. Need to get into much more seirous/deeper discussions. But perhaps that was the problem all along. And this is probably TMI for an on-line journal.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast