Thread: Dramatically varying your macros - keeps your body guessing? page

camel is offline Senior Member

Dramatically varying your macros - keeps your body guessing?

Shop Now
    I've been experimenting with varying my macros every few days - eg: zero carb for a day, moderate carb, then a high carb day, while also varying fat, protein and calories. Does anyone else do this?

I've noticed that it seems like my body gets stuck in ruts when I don't vary my macros. Seems like it doesn't matter what I'm doing, higher carb or lower carb, or low calories - if I keep it the same every day I stop losing weight.

The last few weeks I've finally busted through a plateau that I was at for years! Its very exciting!

On the other hand, I also recently started drinking a pot of green tea every day, so I am not sure which one is helping more, but I'm going to keep doing both!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Green tea has L-theanine, right?

How exciting that you broke a plateu, sounds like a form of carb re-feeding, keep doing it if it works for you, thats great!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing this, too. I call it "throwing my body a curveball." She seems to like it and does well with it.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    So I assume you're varying your carbs. How high and how low do you go? And do you vary fat and protein grams as well, or just modify carbs?

camel is offline Senior Member
    "The switch up", I like it!

Yes, hit a new low today when I stepped on the scale!

Generally I have kept my carbs low, as in 50 or lower. But if I do that for a while I stop losing. So I climb up to 100 carbs or so, then drop down and do a zero carb day. I have my best losses after I do a 100 carb/maintenance calories 2500 cals, followed immediately by a zero carb/1200 cal day. Then back to 20-50 carbs for a couple of days. Generally when I increase carbs I also decrease fat a bit, but do higher fat on lower carb days.
    It's pretty organic, I don't keep to a strict schedule, but I try to listen to my body and if I'm feeling more hungry one day, I go with that and eat more food, but generally eat less the next day.

Seems to be working, anyhow!!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I've been experimenting with varying my macros every few days - eg: zero carb for a day, moderate carb, then a high carb day, while also varying fat, protein and calories. Does anyone else do this?

I've noticed that it seems like my body gets stuck in ruts when I don't vary my macros. Seems like it doesn't matter what I'm doing, higher carb or lower carb, or low calories - if I keep it the same every day I stop losing weight.
    Absolutely. The body craves homeostasis. What you are doing is called "carbohydrate cycling" and it's what bodybuilders do to get to extremely lean levels for competition. You'll see a lot of people on this site have great success going strict low carb for extended periods, but it's because decades of poor diet choices caused insulin resistance and a damaged metabolism. For most healthy, active people with normal metabolisms, chronic low carb causes weight loss to plateau and workouts become less productive. I eat low carb (50g or less) 5 days a week, then on my two heavy workout days I keep fats low (less than 60g) and keep carbs high (200-250g) from fruits and starchy tubers/white rice. I didn't lose any weight and next to no body fat eating low carb. Since I've been carbohydrate cycling, I've lost about 12 pounds of pure body fat while adding 100 pounds to my deadlift, all in less than 4 months. I'm now at 133 lbs, a 29" waist and under 12% body fat and still going strong.

For more info, check the links in my signature. It explains it pretty well.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-06-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Absolutely. The body craves homeostasis. What you are doing is called "carbohydrate cycling" and it's what bodybuilders do to get to extremely lean levels for competition. You'll see a lot of people on this site have great success going strict low carb for extended periods, but it's because decades of poor diet choices caused insulin resistance and a damaged metabolism. For most healthy, active people with normal metabolisms, chronic low carb causes weight loss to plateau and workouts become less productive. I eat low carb (50g or less) 5 days a week, then on my two heavy workout days I keep fats low (less than 60g) and keep carbs high (200-250g) from fruits and starchy tubers/white rice. I didn't lose any weight and next to no body fat eating low carb. Since I've been carbohydrate cycling, I've lost about 12 pounds of pure body fat while adding 100 pounds to my deadlift, all in less than 4 months. I'm now at 133 lbs, a 29" waist and under 12% body fat and still going strong.

For more info, check the links in my signature. It explains it pretty well.
    +1

With the added benefit that some feel SO much better varying things this way. I do for sure.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post

The last few weeks I've finally busted through a plateau that I was at for years! Its very exciting!

On the other hand, I also recently started drinking a pot of green tea every day, so I am not sure which one is helping more, but I'm going to keep doing both!
    Think of it this way. The body is evolutionarily designed to gain weight if possible. That gives it an advantage for the times of less food. It's actually a positive if your body gains weight if you are doing no physical exercise and eat good food. That's what it's designed to do.

You essentially are creating a negative situation for the body. Evolutionarily, it's bad. With your own knowledge of your body and life, you see it as good. This negative situation forces the body to ignore this 'duty' of preserving itself because it has to take care of a more pressing need. That being to adjust to the curveball you are throwing it.

Understanding this logic is key in understanding why you gain and lose weight.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 09-06-2011 at 12:24 PM.