Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly dumb question about cardio page

Tiki is offline Junior Member

Possibly dumb question about cardio

Shop Now
    So, first I haven't read the full PB book yet. Perhaps this is answered there.

I've never liked cardio, can't really run much more than a block or so. I can skate 3 miles easily though. If I don't do cardio, how can I have any endurance? Is it ok to not be able to run more than a block? I can walk for miles, can sprint a bit if I really try.

Perhaps it's the paradigm shift, but it seems that I should be striving to be able to do something "active" without huffing and puffing.

Thoughts? Or just a steer to the right article/blog post would be lovely.

Well, first question is- what are you wanting endurance for and do you enjoy it? Like, are you trying to run a marathon or something?

Read the book on recommendations for cardio/exercise, but as always- if you enjoy something and it's making you feel good, do it. If your joints hurt and it sucks, don't do it!

You can easily get more endurance by hiking, biking, sprinting instead of running on the treadmill like a friggin' gerbil.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    If you can't run a few blocks without huffing and puffing, pretty much any physical exercise will increase your endurance. Sprinting, strength training, sports...

Specific training for endurance is called for when you already are fit and train for better times, but it's totally overkill for your goals.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I can skate 3 miles easily though. . . . I can walk for miles, can sprint a bit if I really try.
    There ya go. Lots of movement below 75% max. heart rate and one or two sprint sessions per week.

Welcome. I hope primal goes well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    Tiki, I just bought a new bike. I'm 56 years old, and an open heart surgery survivor, so biking is very low impact for me. But I can also walk 3 miles without too much of a problem, so I am fortunate that I have options. Do what you can to begin with to increase your endurance, and work from there. We all started somewhere.

All the best!
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

Tiki is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies!

Gosh, a marathon sounds like misery! I wish I liked to run, it seems like a noble activity. I can bike at lowish speeds on the flat for 5 miles or so without feeling exhausted. A hill-climb will wind me briefly, but I recover quickly.

Equipment-assisted activities, like biking or inline skating, are much easier for me than running or jogging. Walking is easy and fun, but doesn't feel like it does anything for endurance.

I started primal for health and minor weight loss/shape change. Lost a clothing size since July & 12 lbs, basically just with dietary change.
    --------------------------------
    Primal since July 2011

dado Guest
    you gotta squat.

maybe you know my motto, maybe you do not, it is "if you ain't squattin', you're worthless"

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    All good posts above - btw this is answered in detail in the book, with great logic and examples. I highly recommend reading the whole book at least once before reading the junk on these forums.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    I've never liked cardio, can't really run much more than a block or so.
    It feels good to run. Freeing, using the body, covering ground. Just like it feels good to lift heavy, or dolphin kick underwater until your lungs are screaming so hard for air that your eyesight gets misty and you hear your heartbeat.

This whole fear of running in particular here is silly and basically unfounded at the distances any of the people here would put in. They may talk about chronic cardio, but they have nothing to say unless they're trying to qualify for Boston.

ETA - additionally, there is significant research that suggests the impact from running (with proper form) helps increase density of all aspects of your locomotion chain - ligaments, bones, muscle, everything.

BTW, go squat, and go run a 5k, because if you aren't doing it, you're nothing.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    So, first I haven't read the full PB book yet. Perhaps this is answered there.

I've never liked cardio, can't really run much more than a block or so. I can skate 3 miles easily though. If I don't do cardio, how can I have any endurance? Is it ok to not be able to run more than a block? I can walk for miles, can sprint a bit if I really try.

Perhaps it's the paradigm shift, but it seems that I should be striving to be able to do something "active" without huffing and puffing.

Thoughts? Or just a steer to the right article/blog post would be lovely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast