Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using bone broth page

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member

Question Using bone broth

Okay, so now that I've made the bone broth, what do I do with it? I've got about 15 cups of oozy gooey vitamin/mineral rich gelatin now, that I have no idea how to use. It's not like I was using conventional gelatin in recipes before, y'know?

In reading around about storing stock, it looks like ice cube size is the most convenient to work with. Is it also the case for gelled stock?

Come to think of it, I also don't really know how to use stock. I've used buillion cubes before, but that's about it.

Help!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I froze it in ice cubes and use a couple wherever I'd normally use a bullion cube. For example, I pan-fry cabbage and then add broth and reduce to make a side dish-bone broth is a great substitute for the canned/dry store-bought broth. Soups and stews taste really good with bone broth, I've even poached chicken with it. Basically, anywhere you need some flavor and more moisture-toss in a cube. Its even good on its own though can be a little oily (which, depending on your taste preferences can be good or bad.)
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I also like to keep a jar of it in the fridge for "fast food". I can heat it up with any number of frozen veggies and little chicken or other protein and have complete primal meal in 3 minutes.

Ah, I see, I can use it all the places I've been using the beef fat I've saved from cooking, just a bit later in the cooking process. So I could use slightly less fat and then use the broth to add moisture.

Hmm, this also reminds me I have a big bag of suet to process down.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Some ideas:

1. Make rice with it
    2. Make soup with it
    3. Mix it 1:1 with red wine and roast some beef in it (season the beef well, brown it in the pan, then remove it and brown onions and garlic, add beef back with the broth and roast for 2 hours covered in the oven or simmer on the stovetop).

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Do you care to share the recipe you used? And what bones? My local market sells bones for $1, but they are MASSIVE, should I ask them to cut them for me or just buy smaller bits?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Mine never lasts long enough for me to worry about such things.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Do you care to share the recipe you used? And what bones? My local market sells bones for $1, but they are MASSIVE, should I ask them to cut them for me or just buy smaller bits?
    I just used the "soup bones" that came packaged from the butcher when I ordered my beef. I'd tried to do bone broth previously and it didn't gell nearly as much.

I'm afraid I didn't use a recipe at all, but it was about 4lbs of soup bones (and meat), water to about 3/4 of the regular size stock pot, salt ~ 3 tablespoons? or more, probably about the same amount of lemon juice. I just kept bringing it to a boil and turning it back down to a simmer. I turned it off completely overnight and back on in the morning to boil and cool again. I left the lid off when it was cooking.

At some point the meat was cooked and I pulled that out and put the tendons and bones and gristle back in the pot. (And any piece of meat that looked like it might have veins *shudder*) Um...oh and when it had reduced to about half the starting liquid I added enough water to go an inch over the bones. Then I cooked it about 2 hours longer with the lid on.

The big difference is that the last time I tried this, I only brought it to boiling once and cooked it about twice as long (around 16 hours, where this was about 8 hours total) at a heat where it barely bubbled.

You can test the doneness by taking a cup of stock out of the pot and chilling it to see if it has gelled.

I disposed of the bones and such, poured the liquid through a colander to strain it, and cooled it on the counter in several smaller containers for a few hours before transferring it to the freezer to cool.

I think the bones from this animal are particularly inclined to gell though, because the roastbeef soup I made had its broth thicken up nicely too.

primalfamily is offline Member
    I find best result when you have temperature bit higher than slow simmer where it is bubbling fairly well. keep adding water. (I also soak the bone in cold water for 1 hour to get the blood out. makes for clearer broth)

6-7 hour should be enough to get all the marrow to dissolve out of the bone.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is a step-by-step Korean recipe for bone broth, with pix and video.

I freeze it into different portion sizes. I make soups with it - you can make any soup that calls for beef broth. French onion soup, minestrone-type soup, Italian wedding soup (meatball soup), mulligatawny soup, oxtail soup, etc.

You can also use it to make sauces and gravies. Say you want to make a creamy pepper sauce for steak - pan-sear the steak (best in a cast iron pan), on both sides, then put it in the oven to finish. Take out the steak and make the sauce from the pan drippings - deglaze (scrape all the browned bits) the pan with some bone broth, add peppercorns, red wine (optional), and a big dollop of butter and a splash of heavy cream. Whisk it all together and pour over the rested steak.

I also make a killer simple mushroom sauce for meatballs or salisbury steak - cook the meatballs in a pan, then remove. Deglaze the pan with a litle bit of bone broth, add butter and a bunch of sliced mushrooms and some chopped onion or shallots (optional), and chopped garlic (optional). Cook the shrooms to your liking, then add some more broth to the pan, bring to a simmer, add a dollop of heavy cream or sour cream for a stroganoff-type taste. Add the meatballs back to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.

I cook from scratch, so my recipes are not measured and often vary. But you see how the bone broth comes in handy if you just think of it as beef broth - which it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast