Thread: primal nausea??? why is body rebelling??? page

jomama is offline Junior Member

primal nausea??? why is body rebelling???

Primal Fuel
    i started eating "clean" about 2 years ago.. transitioned to primal eating just over a month ago... and i have been very diligent... i eat mostly meat and veggies... eggs.. nuts... some fruit.. some dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, cream)... been fasting from dinner saturday till dinner sunday for the past three weeks.. in fact it has been a fairly easy transition...

HOWEVER just in the past few days i have been getting very nauseas a half an hour to an hour after eating... (impossible that i am pregnant).. and the last few nights i have been sick to my stomach when i lay down to go to bed... so much so that i even got up and took a couple tums... (which is very uncommon for me to do) and it is interrupting my sleep and i am not getting a good nights rest... and then midday i am so tired and have no energy... i had lost 9 pounds.. and this morning i weighed and i had gained 3... (and there for a few weeks i felt AMAZING.. rested, energetic and like for the first time i was on the right path)

My husband (who is not onboard with this primal eating... yet) insists that it is a lack of grains in my diet that is causing this.. he says that i need something in my stomach to absorb the animal fats... and that this is my body's way of telling me that i need more carbs.

is this common as my body adjusts back to a more nutritional eating pattern? today i was going to fast and then i just didn't feel good so i thought maybe eating would help.. i had cottage cheese and berries.. 30 minutes later the nausea set in... i drank a big glass of water and that helped some... (am i not drinking enough water???)

arrggh i am confused and just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what their outcome solution was.

thanks for any help

Jojo

Angel_102 is offline Member
    Hi

Is it perhaps the time of day you are eating? I was thinking that if you are fasting a lot and then having a late dinner before going to bed perhaps that might not be helping? Have you tried eating 2 or 3 smaller meals a day instead to see if that helps?

I do sympathise. I found i had some nausea issues when i first started primal, and also if i eat any grains now (mainly bloating and feeling generally rubbish). However I can't pinpoint what I do now that's different to then!
    Starting Date: 21st May 2011
    Starting Weight: 194lbs
    Current Weight: 178lbs
    Goal Weight: 126lbs

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Can you give an idea of a typical day's food?

Sometimes very high fat can cause nausea. Some people do better on slightly higher safe carbs, like white rice and potatoes.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

jomama is offline Junior Member
    breakfast is usually a veggie omelet with bacon or sausage... or berries and cottage cheese... or a little yogurt...
    not a big lunch eater... so usually just snack mid afternoon... nuts.. jerkey... cheese and fruit... a little salad... sometimes an atkins bar.. (gasp!)
    dinner is usually meat.. steak, chicken, fish and big salad and grilled or steamed veggies
    i usually am done eating for the day around 730pm... and then if i get hungry.. (ok.. or bored) and feel like i need a little something i have fruit and whip cream (no sugar, just a splash of vanilla) or a handful of macadamia nuts

i'm wondering if i need to take a probiotic... hmmm... i was just thinking that the last few days i have had a glass or two of red wine every night.. (before going primal this was a daily thing.. now i try to keep it to a couple times a week) can my digestive system become more sensitive to wine? is there something in there that could cause this... (please god no.. i like my wine)... just a thought

dado Guest
    it could be a certain mixture of foods that is causing it, not any food by itself. experiment with the orders and combinations and see how it goes.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Maybe probiotic or digestive enzymes - I am no expert but it may be worth a shot. I am finding that any alcohol hits me way harder now - I can usually not stand a whole glass of wine if I go out to dinner
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Paleobird Guest
    You also could be developing a dairy issue. You might try eliminating that element of your diet for a few days and see how you react.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    I am no expert but I was just reading this study: (from the "Enjoy Saturated Fats" thread)
    Enjoy Saturated Fats, They’re Good for You! by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

And there is a line in there:
    "As calories, fat and carbs are interchangeable, protein less so. One can eat and digest only so much protein. When the protein content of the diet exceeds 35 percent of calories, nausea, diarrhea, and weakness ensue. These symptoms disappear when protein is dropped to 20-25 percent of calories."

Maybe too much protein without enough fats? IDK.

~rc

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    What were you eating like pre-primal? What foods have you dramatically increased the amount of? Sometimes you'll start eating way more nuts/eggs/dairy etc. that in limited amounts didn't have a big impact but in larger quantities do cause you problems.

FWIW, I can't do any dairy except casein free ghee, and actually developed an intolerance to eggs after being primal for a long while, I think because I ate way too many of them--maybe 6 a day. I stopped eggs for around 6 months (maybe a little more or less) and have been able to eat them again without the nausea (thankfully) in small amounts. My experience discovering the egg intolerance was similar to what you are describing--nausea after every meal, to the point where I would fast and try to eat as infrequently as possible because of the on-the-floor-clutching-my-stomach pain. Nuts in a large quantity will give me stomach aches as well. Like Paleobird mentioned--you might want to try eliminating likely suspects for a short time to see if it makes a difference.

I've also read that some people feel nausea while in ketosis, so you may want to experiment with upping your carbs a bit to keep out of ketosis (think veg and fruit etc) to see if that helps. Good luck! I KNOW how this can suck!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had the same issue. I found out that for me almonds and walnuts cause huge gut troubles. It's a histamine sensitivity. From what I've found a lot of CW foods (grains mainly) counteract high histamine foods. So when you remove them from your diet all he'll breaks lose. If I were you I'd find the foods that trigger you and stop eating them. Learn by the process of elimination.

Also, I have bad hayfever and now that spring is upon us in the Land of Oz it's flaring up. I'm experimenting with no dairy for a week to see if that is causing it. A couple of days in and it seems to be reducing. So maybe the dairy is also making me more sensitive to higher histamine foods.