Thread: The Sun UVB UV Index and Vitamin D Synthesis questions page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

The Sun UVB UV Index and Vitamin D Synthesis questions

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone know anything about the topics in the title? I read that clouds can block UVB quite a bit which makes getting Vitamin D less or nil depending on how much UVB is blocked. I go to the weather channel thinking with the decent sized cloud cover where I can't see the sun at all that the UV index is going to be lower with the clouds in mind...

It was 6...that's way above the 3 or maybe 2...can't remember if it was 3 or 2 they say it needs to be to get Vitamin D from the sun. Am I working under an over-exaggerated view of how well clouds work to block UVB. Might the normal UV Index be 10 and now its 6 which is actually quite a bit lower than normal but still high enough UVB for Vitamin D synthesis?

I just didn't feel like going out for the sun if the sun isn't going to give me anything.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I am sure some will come through. Last spring, May, here in the UK, I was on my boat for a week. The sun didn't put in an appearance - and it rained quite a bit. But I was outside, on the boat, gently cruising along the canal system.

And by day 4 I was actually feeling burned! My face was red, arms (where exposed) had coloured. By the time I returned to the village where I live, I was as brown as I have ever been and I was asked by several people where abroad I'd been for my holidays.

So - I reckon it is worth going out whatever.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    I suppose maybe I was just putting too much into the whole cloud blocking thing...even if it blocked 95% of the UVB its still better than getting 0. I think I just didn't feel like doing my normal routine and gave myself an excuse. Thanks for the post.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I am sure some will come through. Last spring, May, here in the UK, I was on my boat for a week. The sun didn't put in an appearance - and it rained quite a bit. But I was outside, on the boat, gently cruising along the canal system.

And by day 4 I was actually feeling burned! My face was red, arms (where exposed) had coloured. By the time I returned to the village where I live, I was as brown as I have ever been and I was asked by several people where abroad I'd been for my holidays.

So - I reckon it is worth going out whatever.
    Burning and browning can both be affected by the UVA alone. Vitamin D needs UVB. UVA gets through cloud cover much better than UVB.

That's my understanding anyway.