Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutrition for cancer page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Nutrition for cancer

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks

A family member has had surgery for colon cancer and is facing chemotherapy now. Does anyone have any good resources for nutrition/diet in cancer treatment? I assume the usual rules apply, but it would be good to know if there are any particular nutrition challenges with the chemo.

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    Generally you don't want to use supplements during chemo as there's the chance of protecting the cancer. Vit. D might be an exception. Also B12 is often deficient. Post chemo there's tons of suggestions for recovering from the chemo. Just google. Alpha Lipoic Acid is used a lot for nueropathy. No supplement should be taken during chemo without approval from her oncologist.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Hey racingsnake~

Good to see you here and sorry for the reason!

Low carb can be helpful, unless it would cause undue stress. I second the Vitamin D.

Unfortunately (from my own experience of my sister's breast cancer), many docs will advise against all supplements without really understanding nutrition. I know that C can interfere with chemo, but I doubt that D would, given how easily the body produces its own in adequate sun.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've heard the same thing about low carb, though I'm certainly not an expert. Wish I could remember where I read it. Something about the cancer cells needing carbs to feed on, and low carb starved them, slowing their growth.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Racingsnake,

I know way more about chemo than I would like to. Learned it the hard way first hand.

Yes, I agree that low carb is best when possible BUT there will be days when carbs are needed to quiet the tummy down to keep from puking. This is because the chemo drugs cause a massive excess of acidity in the stomach and the carbs soak it up. If you don't want the inflammatory-ness of gluten, you could stick to white rice and sweet and white potatoes.

It is better to keep up the patient's strength than to maintain Primal Purity. The nausea comes in cycles with the rounds of chemo, or at least it did for me. There were only a few really bad days per three week cycle. During those bad days you do whatever you have to to make it through and stay strong. I don't know what the laws are in your country regarding smokable herbal remedies for nausea, if you get my drift, but a friend of mine procured some for me and it really helped me to be able to keep food down on those bad days.

If I can answer any questions or be of any other help, please shoot me a PM.

Robin

RumbleRo is offline Member
    Just read a book called anti cancer, very interesting, maybe you could take a look at it.

its by an academic who had a brain tumour and talks about studies in both humans an animals regarding dealing with cancer through a holistic approach, nutritional, psychological and physical.

again, its more hard hitting because the author has cancer himself.

Anticancer: A New Way of Life: Amazon.co.uk: David Servan-Schreiber: Books

I wish your family member strong recovery and increased health.

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Racingsnake,

I know way more about chemo than I would like to. Learned it the hard way first hand.

Yes, I agree that low carb is best when possible BUT there will be days when carbs are needed to quiet the tummy down to keep from puking. This is because the chemo drugs cause a massive excess of acidity in the stomach and the carbs soak it up. If you don't want the inflammatory-ness of gluten, you could stick to white rice and sweet and white potatoes.

It is better to keep up the patient's strength than to maintain Primal Purity. The nausea comes in cycles with the rounds of chemo, or at least it did for me. There were only a few really bad days per three week cycle. During those bad days you do whatever you have to to make it through and stay strong. I don't know what the laws are in your country regarding smokable herbal remedies for nausea, if you get my drift, but a friend of mine procured some for me and it really helped me to be able to keep food down on those bad days.

If I can answer any questions or be of any other help, please shoot me a PM.

Robin
    +1

I would add that no matter what the tinfoil hat brigade here/on the internet says, it's important to listen to the oncologist and not get suckered by ridiculous, uneducated conspiracy theories (e.g. "eating a ketogenic diet will cure cancer, but THEY don't want you to know that!!!!" or the crazy guy here who thinks cancer is a fungus.)
    Don't start adding a bunch of supplements or whatever without running them by the oncologist. And yeah, often during chemo, it's more important to eat whatever can be tolerated instead of concerning yourself with absolute dietary perfection.
    Best of luck to your family member.

mrsallaway is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
    +1

I would add that no matter what the tinfoil hat brigade here/on the internet says, it's important to listen to the oncologist and not get suckered by ridiculous, uneducated conspiracy theories (e.g. "eating a ketogenic diet will cure cancer, but THEY don't want you to know that!!!!" or the crazy guy here who thinks cancer is a fungus.)
    Don't start adding a bunch of supplements or whatever without running them by the oncologist. And yeah, often during chemo, it's more important to eat whatever can be tolerated instead of concerning yourself with absolute dietary perfection.

+1

I just lost my mother to colon cancer in March. My mom got all sorts of well-meaning advice from all sorts of people.....and her oncologist countered it all with eat whatever you want, because the calories were going to be needed and he was right. Chemo really shot her taste buds and there were days she just couldn't eat. Other days all she would have to eat were cookies.

I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
    +1

Absolutely. There are merchants of snake oil all over the net trying to sell you the magic cure that "They" don't want you to know about. Hogwash. The real MDs are very good at curing cancer. I'm living proof. There is not some huge conspiracy to keep people sick. Get real. If a cure for cancer is discovered, it will be on the front page of the JAMA not some obscure website and there will be Nobel Prizes to be won. In the meantime, doctors can and do cure cancer every day. Listen to them. They know their stuff.

Stay strong. Let me know if I can help.

walnut is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    look for abram hoffer's books.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast