Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturated Fats are the same? page

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I keep getting in these battles with my friends who are leading the CW army telling me that diets with much "Saturated Fats" are unhealthy. Later on they say that eating cold water fishes, flax, olive oil is heart healthy. I get the Omega 6/3 ratio issue.

Aren't all saturated fats the same?

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Let me rephrase.

Higher saturated fat "Diet" means eating muscle tissues from the entire animal and not sitting on the couch drinking rendered lard. Correct?

In other words, eating a chicken thigh, a rump roast from beef, or a pork shoulder is where the saturated fat comes from. Not eating the actual fat like a slab of pork belly for dinner.

Are these examples the same as eating a side of Sockeye salmon?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I still don't understand what you mean by "the same".

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

You could definitely eat a slab of pork belly for dinner, or any of those other fatty cuts you mentioned (though I would include a good ribeye steak in there) from other animals as a source of saturated fat. You can also cook with butter, bacon fat, beef tallow, duck or goose fat...as those are also sources of saturated fat. Coconut and palm oils contain saturated fat as well.

Salmon is a source of polyunsaturated fat, so it is different than the beef/pork/fowl examples listed above, and has higher levels of omega 3's than you can get from many other foods. I've also seen that salmon has a better ratio of 3:6 than other foods, such as walnuts which have a high count of 3's but an even higher count of 6's.

So in response to your original question, they are different fats, and therefore not the same

And I wouldn't recommend drinking melted lard, but I'm not opposed to licking the last of the bacon grease off of my breakfast plate...

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

chima_p is offline Senior Member

High carb diets(insulin resistance) with high saturated fats are unhealthy (typical SAD). That will increase triglyceride levels to dangerous levels.

Lower carb (<150g) diets with high SF controls insulin and allows your body to do what it is designed to do with SF which is use it for energy.

There are many different types of Saturated Fatty Acids. I am unsure what you mean by "the same" though.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I am on a high carb and high saturated fat diet ;-). Although I only eat the high carbs in evenings, but it invariably has a lot of saturated fat (ghee).

But I have lost a lot of fat 15Kgs in 8 months, following this.

I am not sure why people think that high carb causes insulin resistance. It is actually the other way insulin resistance carbs to be bad. I actually reduced by insulin resistance on this diet. It worked because I am low carb for most of the day, except for dinner.

The only really deadly things are refined oils and sugar (probably soy). Wheat, milk and several other things are not as deadly for everyone.

What are you considering "high carb"?

Why is sugar any worse than any other carb? In the end glucose is glucose no?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Well fructose doesn&#39;t become glucose.

Anand, I&#39;m also interested in knowing what you consider high carb.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Rice. That is my staple.

Breakfast is usually milk and egg omelate. Sometimes some rice pancakes (uttapam).

Lunch is usually some mutton/chicken cooked vegetables and fruits.

Dinner is usually vegetables with legumes and rice.

My diet contains at least 200gms carb per day. I do try to avoid wheat, as it causes problems with my digestion. Lots of legumes also does that. Sometimes rice also does it ;-).

I eat around 50gms carb in the morning. Maybe 50gm carbs in lunch and probably 150gm carbs in dinner.

>200gms of high glycemic carb diet must be high carb.

Sugar as in table sugar is bad as it contains fructose. I still have a trouble saying no to sweets. But I do portion control a lot strictly than before.

We are refined oil free. We do use a lot of ghee. I must be consuming around 500gms per week + 200gms of coconut oil. Some other fats (like mustard oil) is also there.

I do think that the above constitutes a high carb and high saturated fat diet.

I think insulin effects are over rated. Fructose is the deadly carb, even though it does not effect insulin as much as glucose.

I agree that it is not the healthiest diet, but it is possibly the best I can do presently.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast