Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and first week feedback page 2

Vicarious Lee is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post

Very enlightening. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    This is probably not what you want to hear, but I would start by not working 80 hours a week. Try 40 instead. You seem to be living a very stressful life, and although diet may help somewhat, I think you also need to consider other factors. As I understand it, stress is a major contributor to high blood pressure, and the fact that you need medications to control it makes me suspect you are very stressed out.

Your height and weight are about the same as mine (I'm 6'3" and ~238lbs). You may be a bit overweight, but I still think making time for exercise and other things than work should be your priority, and not so much focus on losing weight. From what you describe, I doubt you will actually be much healthier in X months if you only loose weight but keep working insane hours and not exercising. Personally, I think you would have much greater benefit from cutting back on work and starting to exercise than focusing on losing weight. If you do this first, then you will also have the energy to focus your attention on the diet later, and I'm quite certain weight loss--or at least fat loss--will be the end result. It may take a bit longer, but I think it would be much healthier.

So, in summary:
    1. Stop working so much.
    2. Start exercising.
    3. Eat healthy.

I don't know your reasons for working as much as you do, it may be financial or something you feel you "have" to do, but the way I see it, it's all about priorities and deciding how you want to live your life.
    Ah yes the schedule. Yes I wish I could cut back on the hours. I have some significant projects right now that have taken this type of time commitment for the last 6 months and will continue for about another year. There are not a lot of people that can do what I am doing and although I love it, it is taking it's toll at present which is why I am trying to do what I can to create balance at least with my health. I mean the work isn't going to go away for a bit but at least I can control what I feed my body and mind. There will be weeks that are less hours but even "easy weeks" are 40-50 hours. The stress is high and realistically my pride prevents me from failing or quitting before the job is done. I also have kids ready to graduate high school and z1 already in college. I am trying to pay cash for their school so they get a financially clean start after college instead of graduating with a diploma and a bunch of debt. On top of that now is not the best time to be looking for a job.

I simply have to do what I can to eliminate stress and savor the easy days for now as well as maximize the things I can control like diet until a proper balance to my life returns. I know I am out of balance but I am trying to compensate in other areas. If I can find 30 minutes a day a few days a week maybe that will provide even more balance. What I really need is some "playtime" and that is what is scarce to nonexistent.

Thanks for the feedback and concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Like Norak said: I think your cortisol-levels must be sky-high with all that work! As for exercise, I started walking 40-60 min daily after a month. That's when I had enough energy to want to do it. Then I have added on sprints and weight lifting as I have gotten fitter. I'm not on my 3 month, and have done all the recommended exercises for a month.

Is the Metamucil sweetened with sweetener? If so, def quit it ASAP! I don't think you need it. My naturopath put me on glucosamine, and he said that also helps with regularity.
    I use the unsweetend or at least sugar free. I am trying to eliminate it for a month to see what happens. As far as my stress level and cortisol I have no doubt they match one another. I cannot eliminate either right now but recognizing them and doing what I can to mitigate their presence is the best I can hope for at the moment. I know things will get better it is just going to take time.

Thanks for your reply and concern.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious Lee View Post
    Ah yes the schedule. Yes I wish I could cut back on the hours. I have some significant projects right now that have taken this type of time commitment for the last 6 months and will continue for about another year. There are not a lot of people that can do what I am doing and although I love it, it is taking it's toll at present which is why I am trying to do what I can to create balance at least with my health.
    I see. Hopefully this is a temporary thing, then. If you are in such an important role as you describe, maybe you are also in a position to do some negotiation regarding your working hours? The more valuable you are to your employer (i.e. you are one of few who can do what you do), the better positioned you are to get a good deal with them. Maybe you can get some extra vacation time when the crunch is over? Or maybe you can get a more flexible schedule when things are not so busy?

I mean the work isn't going to go away for a bit but at least I can control what I feed my body and mind. There will be weeks that are less hours but even "easy weeks" are 40-50 hours. The stress is high and realistically my pride prevents me from failing or quitting before the job is done. I also have kids ready to graduate high school and z1 already in college. I am trying to pay cash for their school so they get a financially clean start after college instead of graduating with a diploma and a bunch of debt. On top of that now is not the best time to be looking for a job.
    I understand your situation, and I think it's good that you are conscious about it. There's a lot of people out there who are working their a** off without really knowing why, they just think "that's how it's supposed to be". At least you seem to have made a choice about it.

I simply have to do what I can to eliminate stress and savor the easy days for now as well as maximize the things I can control like diet until a proper balance to my life returns. I know I am out of balance but I am trying to compensate in other areas. If I can find 30 minutes a day a few days a week maybe that will provide even more balance. What I really need is some "playtime" and that is what is scarce to nonexistent.
    I see your dilemma. In my experience, changing habits while in a stressful situation is not very easy. It's hard enough when you're able to give it its full attention. Tweaking your diet might help, but for immediate stress-relief, I absolutely think physical activity is the way to go. Of course, you should do both, but if you only have time for one, I would prioritize getting some exercise, even if it's just "playtime" (i.e. not necessarily going to the gym). The reason for this is that exercise and physical activity will give you energy, which hopefully will enable you to make better food choices in the middle of a stressful day-to-day life.

Is it possible for you to take your lunch break outside? Maybe go for a walk or something? Maybe that would help. I know walking always helps me get my mind off things when I'm busy at work.

Thanks for the feedback and concern.
    You're welcome. I don't have kids, but I have had a job situation very similar to yours for many years, so I know how stressful it can be. It's times like that when my diet typically took a turn for the worse, so I know how hard it can be.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Thanks

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Although I cannot do a lot about work right now I am adjusting my diet a bit more with additional leafy greens and it appears to be making a difference. I will add in some quality exercise even if that means simply a 30 minute walk to start with.

Thanks again!

VL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12