Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is going on here? page

lolov is offline Senior Member

What is going on here?

Shop Now
    I am just finishing up a week at the beach in North Carolina. I've come to the conclusion that Americans (yes, I am one) are generally fat and seriously un-fit :/ But that's not what I'm asking about here. After sitting on the beach and by the pool for six days, I noticed some interesting body types and I wonder what is going on.

Body type #1: Men with "chicken legs" and huge guts. I see this everywhere... it seems pretty common. Maybe "wheat belly" syndrome?

Body type #2: Women who are "average/slender" on top and obese below the waist (to the point it's just WEIRD looking) This reminds me of Taubes' picture in GFCF of the woman who was almost emaciated on the top and huge on the bottom... these women aren't emaciated on the top, but they are literally obese on the bottom. I saw probably 6 - 8 women like this at our hotel pool... not as common as "somewhat big all over" but more common that I would have thought.

Body type #3: (this one really confounds me) I only saw three women like this, but it was so mind-boggling to me, I really want to know what causes this: Their calves are incredibly lean and hypertrophied... one of these women's calves looked like she was a body builder. The calves are so lean, you can see tendons, all the different muscles, etc. The upper legs (thighs) aren't hypertrophied at all, but still incredibly lean... so much that you can see the individual muscles when they walk. Once you get to the hips, though, it's all mushy, flabby, doughy through the upper body. These women didn't look to have a muscle at all on their arms/shoulders/back/chest and they had lots of fat - especially in the belly. I don't understand how a person's legs could be exquisitely leptin sensitive (and probably sensitive to whatever makes you gain muscle mass... testosterone? insulin?) but the sensitivity disappears at the hip.

I want to be clear that I'm NOT trying to rag on these body types... I'm just trying to figure out what causes these particular things to happen.... this is what happens when I do NOTHING for six days ;-)

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    #1 is likely guys that sit at desks all day. I know of many people that work in offices that sit all day at work, and then sit all night when they get home. Their legs get no exercise whatsoever. Just my opinion.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    #1 is likely guys that sit at desks all day. I know of many people that work in offices that sit all day at work, and then sit all night when they get home. Their legs get no exercise whatsoever. Just my opinion.
    Atrophy! I'd never thought of it like that.

I think in general, strange fat deposits are caused by wonky hormones, which are caused by too much PUFA, lack of sleep, too much stress, etc.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    I think this is where genetics come into play (and the whole apple/pear/hour glass figure thing comes in).

No matter how thin or fit you are, you are not going to be able to get too far away from your natural body shape. My 6 year old daughter has my body, an hourglass shape (except she is lean while I am anything but) and my 3 year old daughter has an apple or box shape and she too is very lean. The 6 year old's waist to hip ratio is more dramatic than the 3 year old's and always has been even when she was a baby. They will be able to build muscle as they get older, but their shapes will always be their shapes and I expect my oldest to be a lot curvier when she is a teen/young woman than my youngest.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    At the beach in Maine last week and I'll tell you there are plenty of hefty Canadians too, Quebecois anyway. God love the guys w/ the beer guts and speedos. Weird to that the in shape people all seemed to be over 40.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    .............. God love the guys w/ the beer guts and speedos. ..............
    yes, there is something just so right about that......................... as long as they're speaking french and don't remind me of me in a speedo.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Je me souviens
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    #2 - Doesn't excess estrogen during childhood cause very wide hips? Not sure on that one. Plus there's genetics of course.

#3 - I walk a up to 20 miles a day for my job, and I have killer calves, quads and hamstrings. Maybe attributable to excess time on the treadmill combined with all of those "healthy whole grains" so they don't eat all of that awful saturated fat?

#1 - Sounds like wheat belly plus inactivity. Also sounds like my ex-husband, so now I need to go find some mind bleach. BAD memories of "Did I really sleep with that?"
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like the effects of cortisol and chronic cardio to me.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    #3 I think may be due to women's tendency to become obsessed with "toning" or "sculpting" body part x. All women want to have great legs and so would focus on shaping those while just writing off their upper bodies because 'they can't do pushups anyway' so why bother. Women definitely tend to see the individual body parts rather than the whole that is their body.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast