Thread: new here, some questions! page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

new here, some questions!

Primal Fuel
    I just finished reading The Primal Blueprint, and I'm eager to try out the way of eating described. I used to be vegetarian, so my diet used to be low-fat, high-carb, used only vegetable oils, etc. I'm Chinese, and my dh is Indian, and rice and lentils are staples here in India.

I have a few questions:

1) I've been cutting out most carbs (rice and bread), and increased vegetables, and find I have a lot of gas. I think it is from the increased vegetables... Is this common?

2) How much % of carbs/protein/fat is good? I'm 29, 5'4", 112lbs, small build, and lightly active (some housework). I did some calculations like in Mark's book-- and fat comes out to over 50% of calories, about 100grams. How does one get that much fat and protein in the diet? Right now I eat 2 eggs a day, some meat, some fish, and non-starchy vegetables. Everything is cooked in coconut and coconut oil (we're in south india).

3) I've always liked peatuts, do I really need to stop eating them?

4) Here, rice is at least 50% if not more of the meal. Lentils another 50% in some meals. If we cut out rice and lentils completely, what do we replace them with? More veggies, meat, eggs, fish? Fruit and nuts?

5) Are fermented rice products like dosa/idlis better than white rice? What about lentils?

I guess part of me is still adjusting to the idea that eating 3 eggs a day and a lot of meat is fine and can be normal. My dh is Hindu and have been vegetarian for awhile. While he's okay with eating meat, he's not as ready to make meat and eggs the main part of meals.

I would really appreciate your insights!!

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member
    Welcome girlhk,

1. I found that when I upped my veg intake, I had a lot of gas too. I think this is because your body is getting used to the higher intake in vegetables. After a week, I didn't get the gassyness.

2. It really depends on what is optimal for you. I prefer high fat for 5 days with a 2 day high carb refeed (200 g carb.) Some people keep the carb ratio in the 100 -150 g a day range. White rice won't hurt you, but it won't benefit you either as it is practically an empty starch.

3. I really would, peanuts are in fact legumes and the toxins are damaging to your health. Most people are in fact allergic to peanuts, even if they show minor unnoticeable symptoms.

4. Again, you don't have to cut out white rice if you want it in your diet, I would just cut down on the amount you have. Eventually, the more primalicious you feel, the more chance you'll want to cut the white rice.

5. I'm really not sure on this one, all I know is that the bad stuff in rice is in the bran and white rice has the bran removed.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Is there such a thing as eating too much protein or too much fat?

I'm not a fan of rice, however, as I live in India where everyone eats rice, it's very hard to avoid.

How about lentils?

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    "Well-known legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, soy, and peanuts."

Legumes on Wikipedia

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Is there such a thing as eating too much protein or too much fat?
    Yes. Realistically, no.

Yes, you can have too much protein—the phenomenon is called "protein poisoning" or more popularly "rabbit starvation". (You could try googling those terms.) When hunting peoples couldn't catch enough fat game and had to make do with very lean small game they got sick. You get diarrhoea pretty quick and in a couple of weeks you're dead. You're not likely to be in that position in the modern world, but diets that are both low-carb and low-fat, such as the South Beach Diet are not a good idea, because that—obviously—means more protein than normal, and that has some undesirable effects, such as depleting vitamin A.

Yeah, people living in extreme climates, living off only protein and fat could, on occasion, run short of lean tissue. So then there's "too much fat". You get a bit sick on that, too. Practically speaking, it can't happen under modern conditions. Healthy populations that we know about have eaten anything from about 40% to about 80% of their calories as fat. You'd have a job going over the top figure—in any case you wouldn't want to.

I'm not a fan of rice, however, as I live in India where everyone eats rice, it's very hard to avoid.
    White rice is probably one of the least allergenic cereal grains. A lot of it probably isn't ideal, but some isn't likely to do you much harm unless you happen to be sensitive to it. You mention "fermented" foods. I don't know the foods you mention, but, yes, a food that has been lactic-fermented (I'm assuming these are lactic fermentations) will be more digestible.

Because it can be easily converted in the body to fat, it can actually make up for a shortage of fat in the diet. However, only real fats like butter/ghee are going to carry the important fat-soluble vitamins with them.

How about lentils?
    Fairly high in folate, IIRC. Again, perhaps not ideal; but, again, not necessarily a problem unless you're sensitive to them; and, again, better when lactic-fermented.