Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Magazine article "The Oz Diet" page

RitaRose is offline Senior Member

Time Magazine article "The Oz Diet"

Shop Now
    Boyfriend gets Time Magazine, and I saw a new article today, "The Oz Diet". The subtitle underneath is "No more myths. No more fads. What you should eat - and why." You just know I had to read it, though I don't usually read much fiction.

Needless to say, it got me cranky. I had some hope when I read that eggs, red meat and full-fat milk were okay. But then it went downhill.

Sure eggs were fine, but only one a day. One? And red meat should be limited to 18oz per week (seriously - 2.7 oz per day?) because we all know more than that will cause weight gain, at least according to Oz.

On the bright side, he is against the low fat movement, but that's totally outweighed by promoting canola oil, though he admits coconut oil "may actually be good for you."

So... let's talk Paleo.
    "According to some clinical trials, the diet has indeed been shown to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and inflammation as well as reduce acne, improve athletic performance and help with weight loss."

But... and you know there's always a "but":
    "Many nutritionists, however, are concerned about eliminating whole grains and dairy products. A wealth of research shows that both can help decrease the risk of certain cancers and heart disease. What's more, it's worth remembering that cavemen tended to be much shorter than modern people and often died in their 40s - in part because they weren't eating a diet that left them with much ability to fight off an infection (or sabre-toothed tigers). I would rather follow a diet that sees me lucid and active enough to play with my grandchildren than one under which I die young but look great."

sigh
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I'd post a link, but I was reading the print article. The online article is just the first two paragraphs.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    "Many lobbyists, however, are concerned about eliminating whole grains and dairy products.
    Fixed that.

True. Very true.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    What's more, it's worth remembering that cavemen tended to be much shorter than modern people and often died in their 40s - in part because they weren't eating a diet that left them with much ability to fight off an infection (or sabre-toothed tigers). I would rather follow a diet that sees me lucid and active enough to play with my grandchildren than one under which I die young but look great."

sigh
    hahaha!!! oh man. what is up with the "oh the cavemen died in their 40s so it must be a bad diet" argument? It's lame and it's getting old.

if we get an infection nowadays, a dr. can actually help with that, in the caveman days, they didn't have that.

we don't fight sabre toothed tigers either, the caveman did.

so why not eat this way, enjoy the results without the lack to fight off infections and sabre toothed tigers.

DUH! it's not rock science. lol!

I thought it was hilarious that he admitted it would "lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and inflammation as well as reduce acne, improve athletic performance and help with weight loss", but then argued cavemen were short.

Yeah, but didn't they have bigger brains? And surviving until your 40s is pretty damn good when you have no antibiotics or surgery or really ANY medical intervention.

I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, knowing what the data is saying, but also knowing he'll lose his sponsors if he admits it.

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Just finished reading this article when I got Times in the mail and the ones you mention RitaRose definitly had me scratching my head. My favorite is "I would rather follow a diet that sees me lucid and active enough to play with my grandchildren than one under which I die young but look great"

is this guy credible at all? Who would die young and look great by eating organic grass fed meats, plenty of fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds and a little coffee and wine? Where is the data to back up his ridiculous claim about the shortcomings of the paleo diet? I hope Mark Sisson or someone in the paleo community write an op ed for Time magazine refuting his unsubstantiated claims

oh yeah, so by Dr. Oz saying there are beneficial things in grains and dairy, he basically insinuates you can't get these nutrients from other sources. Is this true because I don't buy it and I'm not a nutritionist.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Uh... they totally just made up the fact that eliminating grains and dairy makes you unable to fight off infections... they are basically saying that eliminating those foods would weaken the immune system, when I can only suppose the opposite is true.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    "...cavemen tended to be much shorter than modern people and often died in their 40s - in part because they weren't eating a diet that left them with much ability to fight off an infection (or sabre-toothed tigers). I would rather follow a diet that sees me lucid and active enough to play with my grandchildren than one under which I die young but look great."

::: eye ROLL :::

And this guy is some sort of medical professional with training in science?

And, also, I can't remember exactly where I read it (perhaps "The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race"?), but I recall that Homo sapiens was actually the tallest immediately prior to the advent of agriculture and, then, for the first time ever in the evolutionary record, the species began to decrease in height thereafter.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, here it is:

"One straight forward example of what paleopathologists have learned from skeletons concerns historical changes in height. Skeletons from Greece and Turkey show that the average height of hunger-gatherers toward the end of the ice ages was a generous 5' 9'' for men, 5' 5'' for women. With the adoption of agriculture, height crashed, and by 3000 B. C. had reached a low of only 5' 3'' for men, 5' for women. By classical times heights were very slowly on the rise again, but modern Greeks and Turks have still not regained the average height of their distant ancestors."

The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast