Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D in Pregnancy! page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

shema is offline Senior Member
    This is awesome! Thank you so much for posting such critical info! I'm due back to see my family physician for some follow up blood work. I am planning a pregnancy and am iron deficient so I've started on iron supplements. (I'm also trying to lose 5-10 more pounds so I'll be at an ideal prepregnancy weight). But she did not test Vitamin D so I will ask for that.

Is there any particular brand of Vitamin D supplement you recommend??

I'm assuming you'd probably think it's better to wait to get Vitamin D and iron levels up before trying to get pregnant??

Sondra, one other question...my endo keeps saying I won't gain sufficient weight during pregnancy if I limit carbs (which I plan to do b/c I have Type II). Do you have advice on how to gain sufficient weight while staying lower(er) carb? (Maybe I should post this Q to another thread).
    Last edited by shema; 09-03-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Hi Shema~
    Any D3 in an oil base is fine. I use either Carlson's Solar D Gems in a fish oil base or NOW D3. I get the 2000 IU dosage for flexibility. Both are available on iherb or via Amazon, in addition to many health food stores.

If you are very deficient, I would suggest supplementing 6,000 - 10,000 IUs and getting tested again in 3 months before ttc.

Read my guest blog post on primal pregnancy nutrition. I address weight gain in the article. You could add liver to your diet once a week for iron, if you prefer that to supplements.

BTW, an endo or family doc who doesn't test for Vitamin D status & wants you to eat more carbs when you are Type II is not someone I would necessarily trust to give me sound nutritional advice.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 09-04-2011 at 04:34 AM.

ConnieB is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

BTW, an endo or family doc who doesn't test for Vitamin D status & wants you to eat more carbs when you are Type II is not someone I would necessarily trust to give me sound nutritional advice.
    Ya that!!!
    -Connie
    www.BirthFoundations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Indeed! That's why I'm trying to prepare ahead of time. It is HARD to find docs/dieticians that don't give this sort of nonsensical advise. I had a bunch of docs managing my then gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy, and they were ALL telling me to eat more carbs. I still remember trying to tell one OB that brown rice was spiking my sugars up to around 140-150 and he insisted that I wasn't "cooking it right" for it to be doing that. Sigh.

My endo has given info on a dietician he wants me to work with. I haven't gotten in touch with her yet but if she's anything like the dietician I worked with last time around, I won't be listening to her. I'm going to try to do some research and see if I can find the right sort of dietician in my area that follows paleo guidelines...

There are/were a couple of registered dieticians on this site who have recently gone Primal. There are also a few Type II mamas either pregnant or ttc. You may want to do a search and/or a shout-out post to them.

Both ConnieB (who commented previously) and I do nutritional coaching for mamas. I imagine there will be more of us over time!

walnut is offline Member
    is there a link to your paper that links vite d deficiency to autism?

Thanks!

There are a couple of links in the comments of my blog post.

To follow up on my earlier post on this thread, I saw my primary care doc today and asked her to test my Vitamin D levels. She looked at me quizzically and asked me WHY I wanted to have my D levels checked. When I got through explaining my reasons to her, she shrugged, said OK, she'd include it in my labs. But she then proceeded to tell me that what's normal for one person may not be normal for another person and that there really is no fixed value for what's normal. In other words, it's not really a useful test! Sheesh!

I told my mom about this and she told me to promptly get rid of this doc!

(Awkward part is that this doc is married to my endo. I'm not super crazy about my endo but he is better than most around here).

mamagault is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for that great post!!

Question: what if the vit D supplementation was spotty in pregnancy? Would mom supplementing with extra D3 help the breastfed neonate? Say this mom has a history of low vit D levels, but didn't know to test them in pregnancy. I'm not noticing any problems with him, but if supplementing with D3 at a higher rate than normal will help him out, then I'll take 6k-10k IU instead of my normal 4k-6k per day (that I sometimes forget to take, darnit).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast