Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on weight loss, fat consumption after gall bladder removal page

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member

Questions on weight loss, fat consumption after gall bladder removal

Shop Now
    This afternoon I came across a post that caught my attention and now I am really doing some serious thinking as well as trying to find adequate research on the subject.
    The basic question dealt with whether or not a person without a gall bladder can eat fat. There was some discussion too on the use of bile salts and enzymes to better deal with the constant flow of bile into the digestive tract. BM's discussed as that is affected and there is obviously a lack of absorption with many vitamins/minerals that the body needs.

Reading other info all over the net indicated there are many who like myself, gained weight after gall bladder removal and now face more difficulty in getting it off.
    If the bile in the digestive tract moves the food out faster than usual, to the point where there is a depletion of vitamins, then it seems likely that the overall food value of what I eat is less than optimal.

I know that primal is the way for me ... and if I need to adjust the fat amounts then I will, but I am very curious now in how this is affecting my overall health as well as losing the extra pounds. The family doctor at that time and the surgeon who removed the gall bladder in 1999 never said anything to me regarding any connection to foods/fats. Not surprising though considering most have no clue about nutrition.

So I am curious, and a bit mystified ... from what I have read, it appears that I do need to do some supplementing to deal with the bile.
    Have any of you dealt with this ? Suggestions, thoughts ...
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

jandge is offline Senior Member
    I had my gallbladder removed two weeks before starting Primal. Dropped 15lbs over a couple months (weight loss slow, but moving). Fat loss hasn't stopped though (going on 10 months now), because I'm gaining muscle. About 70% of my calories (1800-2000) come from fat, with no major problems. Maybe some weird bathrooms runs, but it was super bad before primal, and so any improvement made things better.

After my gallbladder removal/starting primal, I started getting a lot of little white spots on my finger nails - which I never really experienced growing up. Just starting taking Now Super Enzymes last week (went up to five capsules per meal) - and it's helped me feeling full sooner. Not sure about the science - it might be that my body is now able to digest and receive nutrients, so I'm not always trying to stuff myself every meal now.

Primal is still the way to go, even without a gallbladder - and it was okay for me for almost a year without any use of oxbile/digestive enzymes.
    Last edited by jandge; 09-03-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jandge View Post
    I had my gallbladder removed two weeks before starting Primal. Dropped 15lbs over a couple months (weight loss slow, but moving). Fat loss hasn't stopped though (going on 10 months now), because I'm gaining muscle. About 70% of my calories (1800-2000) come from fat, with no major problems. Maybe some weird bathrooms runs, but it was super bad before primal, and so any improvement made things better.

After my gallbladder removal/starting primal, I started getting a lot of little white spots on my finger nails - which I never really experienced growing up. Just starting taking Now Super Enzymes last week (went up to five capsules per meal) - and it's helped me feeling full sooner. Not sure about the science - it might be that my body is now able to digest and receive nutrients, so I'm not always trying to stuff myself every meal now.

Primal is still the way to go, even without a gallbladder - and it was okay for me for almost a year without any use of oxbile/digestive enzymes.
    I agree ... I can't imagine not being Primal !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Apparently coconut oil and other MCTs are great for people with missing gallbladders as they are immediately broken into free fatty acids in the gut and move into the bloodstream without needing to be broken down with bile.

One of the most outstanding benefits of consuming MCFA’s is that they do not require the liver and gallbladder to digest and emulsify them. This means instant energy and increased thermogenesis (increased metabolic rate in the body) which leads to more heat production as well as improved circulation. For anyone with impaired fat digestion or a removed gallbladder, coconut oil is the only oil to consume as it is very easily digested.

Learn more: The Great Fat Debate - Why Virgin Coconut Oil Is Best
    As to weight-loss, my Ma lost over 100lbs after having her gallbladder removed. She never had any issues.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    I've had my gallbladder out for 10 years now. I have had constant trouble with the dumping of bile (yellow diarrhea) and GERD and all sorts of issues. I noticed a long time ago that if I had a high-fat breakfast usually I was okay for the day but somehow with doctors telling me to eat more grains and lower fat to cure the symptoms I kept doing that.

I've been primal for just over a week now and my gallbladder problems have disappeared. I think that I can't go as high fat as some talk about on here, but I've been eating bacon and eggs and ribeye steaks along with beef stew and sausage etc...

And I've lost 10 lbs - 12 if you count the semi-primal I did the week or so before I got serious.

When you think about it, the bile is necessary for digesting fat. The gallbladder doesn't produce bile, it stores it. The problem after you lose your gallbladder is that you can't store it effectively so when you eat food, the bile just gets injected into your stomach, leading to dumping of the excess. If you eat more fats, you have less excess because you uses more to digest them. I always tried to eat more fiber (grains) so it would 'sop up' the excess. That never really worked for me.

Funny, when I had the gallbladder problem I was in my 20s and had always eaten a high-fat, rich diet of real food (including lots of wine, bread and desserts). Ironically the gallbladder problems showed up after I lost about 15 lbs using the CW of grains + veggies + chicken or salmon + lots of cardio.

My doctor told me I had the gallstones because I ate too much fat. After I had it out, I read a study that said that switching from a high-fat to a low-fat diet increased one's risk of developing gallstones.

As for supplementation, I am watching to see what I might need to do. I think I have a problem absorbing some nutrients because of the decade of poor digestion and inflammation from eating wheat and gallbladder related issues.

~rc

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member
    I had my gallbladder out 20 years ago now - the only problem I've had, which I'm only just realising now, is that my stomach stays full for much longer, so I can't eat late at night and have to leave at least 2 hours before I exercise. I've got some NOW enzymes (platinum digest I think), just wish I could remember to take the damn things, lol!

Canuck is offline Junior Member

not directly related but...

After suffering from chronic gallbladder attacks, out of the blue, the past couple years, I was about to have mine removed. My family doctor said it would be no big deal, that it wasn't an organ that I needed so why keep it if it flares up now and then. I thought ok great, will do. I did a little research on it at the time and was a little weary of some of the side-effects that I was coming across, it didn't seem as "not a big deal" as it was made out to be, but I figured they wouldn't steer me wrong, they're the doctors right. I sat on the fence for awhile, I'm in Canada and was on the waiting list so I had to time to really think about what I was considering doing.

I've been primal for about 2 1/2 months now and it was actually while coming across information related to it that I read about ties to gallstones/gallbladder issues with diets high in carbs (refined processed SAD kind)...also that the number one surgery in the US that is performed annually is said to be gallbladder removal. I found this very interesting, typical North American diet is high on refined and processed crappy carbs and the number one surgical procedure is gallbladder removal...seemed to make sense to me that they might very well be tied to each other.

As my doubts continued, I came across information that made my decision all that much easier. I had not suffered a gallbladder attack in nearly a year, I had recently made the change to eating Primal and being very aware of the quality of the food I put in my diet. I just wasn't so sure anymore that having the gallbladder removed was the step to take at this time, so when the surgeon's office called last week, I told them I had a change of heart and was not prepared to have it removed at this time.

I'm still young enough that I don't want to be saddled with something that may effect my digestion for the rest of my life, the cure seemed almost worse then the problem. If I can tackle this issue through diet, I would much rather do so then lose a part of my body that I actually need more then they think.

I guess my post doesn't really relate since I never had mine removed, but it is actually after reading posts here that made me seriously rethink what I was agreeing to do. Maybe it will become an issue again down the road, but right now it seems under control and I would rather have a change of heart while I still have my gallbladder, then realize after the fact that I'm worse off then when I had it. I plan on dealing with it from a dietary angle first.

So to all of you out there that have from time to time posted on this subject, thank you, it helped open my eyes and consider other options before surgery.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually having mine taken out on sept. 12th. My gall bladder absolutely does no work at all like nothing goes in or out of there so it is as if it isn't even there at all. I've had no problems eating high fat/low carb for many years and my doc assured me there would be no problem post surgery eating this way either.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have not had my gall bladder removed, but I was have lots of gall bladder problems before going primal. I had multiple, painful gall bladder "attacks". I was a little nervous about what all the fat in my diet would do to my gall bladder. Since about day 5 of eating a primal diet I have had zero gall bladder pain. The only time I had even a twinge was on vacation when I had deep fried, breaded food to days in a row.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I had my gallbladder out a year before going primal, and I am another person who had trouble with dumping afterwards. I cannot go for a very high fat diet, it still upsets my stomach, so my macros are around 1/3 each calories from fat, protein and carbs, and this suits me well. I tend to be what most would consider slightly low fat primal.

And like Jammies said - deep fried anything will set my tummy off
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast