Thread: interesting looking book/article about overeating page

Karin Guest

Shop Now

"In his new best-selling book, "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite," Kessler, a San Francisco Bay Area pediatrician, explains why certain foods loaded with fat, sugar and salt exert such a pull, despite our best intentions to avoid them."

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member
    Hanford, CA

Really interesting... I've recently read 2 other articles with similar "points" (one in Women's Health and one on SparkPeople), but this one goes more in depth.

Yes. We're eating, in essence, adult baby food. Twenty years ago the average chews per bite was about 20, now it's two or three. The food goes down in a whoosh and it's very stimulating. It's layered and loaded with fat, sugar and salt. It's as if you have a roller coaster going on in your mouth. You get stimulated, it disappears instantly and you reach for more.</blockquote>

SO TRUE... I remember my dad telling me to chew 30 times before swallowing my food when I was a kid, but every time I actually tried it, the food was mush way before I hit 30.

Compare that to the bite of sausage I just ate... 35 chews before I swallowed, and it wasn't even a big bite.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Nick Guest

I made some rare hanger steak last night after marinating it in tequila, lime, and garlic. Definitely 20-30 chews required for a small piece. Filet mignon is baby food.

jessher is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

David Kessler was on NPR recently to talk about the book. Here is the link to the story. I bought the book yesterday and can't wait to read it!