Thread: interesting looking book/article about overeating page

Karin Guest

Primal Fuel

http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/06/18/overeating/

"In his new best-selling book, "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite," Kessler, a San Francisco Bay Area pediatrician, explains why certain foods loaded with fat, sugar and salt exert such a pull, despite our best intentions to avoid them."

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Really interesting... I've recently read 2 other articles with similar "points" (one in Women's Health and one on SparkPeople), but this one goes more in depth.
    [quote]

Yes. We're eating, in essence, adult baby food. Twenty years ago the average chews per bite was about 20, now it's two or three. The food goes down in a whoosh and it's very stimulating. It's layered and loaded with fat, sugar and salt. It's as if you have a roller coaster going on in your mouth. You get stimulated, it disappears instantly and you reach for more.</blockquote>

SO TRUE... I remember my dad telling me to chew 30 times before swallowing my food when I was a kid, but every time I actually tried it, the food was mush way before I hit 30.

Compare that to the bite of sausage I just ate... 35 chews before I swallowed, and it wasn't even a big bite.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Nick Guest

I made some rare hanger steak last night after marinating it in tequila, lime, and garlic. Definitely 20-30 chews required for a small piece. Filet mignon is baby food.

jessher is offline Junior Member

David Kessler was on NPR recently to talk about the book. Here is the link to the story. I bought the book yesterday and can't wait to read it!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...20&ft=1&f=1007