Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Conversions page

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member

Successful Conversions

Primal Fuel
    I know there are a lot of posts here about the frustration that comes when you care about someone and can't get them to "see the light" about eating primal. I thought I'd start a thread for stories about successful conversions... because now I have one!

I get a lot of crap for my weight. I've always been thin, likely because I was raised pretty close to primal and never, ever bought into the low fat = good for you stuff. Being "naturally" skinny means I have no business talking to anyone about diet, of course, and I know from experience not to bring it up. I NEVER talk about how I eat. But this time I was just over the abuse...

250lb friend: "I frickin' hate you. You have no idea how much I hate you. How can you have bacon and eggs EVERY DAY and weigh 100lbs? I eat a low-fat yoghurt and gain 10lbs. It's not fair."
    Me: "Maybe you're onto something there."
    250lb friend: "Yeah, I don't need you to tell me my genes are f****d, thanks."
    Me: "No, maybe I'm thinner because I don't eat that kind of crap."
    250lb friend: "Everything you eat is crap! Bacon, eggs, steak... you put butter on your vegetables!"
    Me: "It works though. Look, maybe I'm just lucky, but I really think the way I eat is better for me than all that processed stuff. Look at the calories in your low-fat yoghurt. They're pretty much the same. They just replace the fat with sugar. And it's not satisfying. You'd be so much better off with real yoghurt. I can give you a book that explains all of it..."
    250lb friend: "Go **** yourself. Like you know anything about having to lose weight. You will never, ever get what it's like to be me."

End of conversation.

Six weeks later... my friend has lost 25lbs!!! "I was so angry with you. And then I thought, screw this, I'm never going to win, I'm going to eat the full-fat yoghurt. And I had one, and I wasn't hungry for hours! So I asked Kevin (her boyfriend, my close friend) how you eat, and he told me you do this paleo thing, and I started doing it and look! Look at me! I'd thank you, but I still hate your guts."

I'll take it. Victory is mine

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I've now got second-generation converts, including my friend's Krav Maga teacher!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Good deal!!!!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

belinda is offline Senior Member
    My dad was talking to me today about wanting to try my diet so I printed him off a primal/paleo cheat sheet.

He got all wound up over the 'primal' thing and 'bloody hell, no beans!'. Whatever. If you really want to do this dad, get over the stupid hang ups and just give it a try.

I'll talk to him about it again tomorrow. Sigh...
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    belinda: if the beans are going to be the deal-breaker for your dad, let it go and encourage him do "primal + beans." Beans, in the larger scheme of things, aren't so bad. We've got to remember not to let perfection be the enemy of the good.

Besides, I'm betting as he gets further along on the Primal path, he'll end up phasing those out. (But don't tell him that now!)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    ^ Agreed. Beans are not the end of the world... if that's the only sticking point, I'd tell him primal + beans is much better than SAD.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_hailey View Post
    I know there are a lot of posts here about the frustration that comes when you care about someone and can't get them to "see the light" about eating primal. I thought I'd start a thread for stories about successful conversions... because now I have one!

I get a lot of crap for my weight. I've always been thin, likely because I was raised pretty close to primal and never, ever bought into the low fat = good for you stuff. Being "naturally" skinny means I have no business talking to anyone about diet, of course, and I know from experience not to bring it up. I NEVER talk about how I eat. But this time I was just over the abuse...

250lb friend: "I frickin' hate you. You have no idea how much I hate you. How can you have bacon and eggs EVERY DAY and weigh 100lbs? I eat a low-fat yoghurt and gain 10lbs. It's not fair."
    Me: "Maybe you're onto something there."
    250lb friend: "Yeah, I don't need you to tell me my genes are f****d, thanks."
    Me: "No, maybe I'm thinner because I don't eat that kind of crap."
    250lb friend: "Everything you eat is crap! Bacon, eggs, steak... you put butter on your vegetables!"
    Me: "It works though. Look, maybe I'm just lucky, but I really think the way I eat is better for me than all that processed stuff. Look at the calories in your low-fat yoghurt. They're pretty much the same. They just replace the fat with sugar. And it's not satisfying. You'd be so much better off with real yoghurt. I can give you a book that explains all of it..."
    250lb friend: "Go **** yourself. Like you know anything about having to lose weight. You will never, ever get what it's like to be me."

End of conversation.

Six weeks later... my friend has lost 25lbs!!! "I was so angry with you. And then I thought, screw this, I'm never going to win, I'm going to eat the full-fat yoghurt. And I had one, and I wasn't hungry for hours! So I asked Kevin (her boyfriend, my close friend) how you eat, and he told me you do this paleo thing, and I started doing it and look! Look at me! I'd thank you, but I still hate your guts."

I'll take it. Victory is mine
    yeah you.. thank you for sharing this! Yeah for your friend too!!

This week I went to lunch with co-workers and they all seemed to take note of how I ordered. (I have become one of THOSE people) Anyway, when we were talking about a sugar filled event, I said I will not be participating. So they asked for the details of what I was doing etc. etc. When I said no grains I immediately got the "But you have to have carbs to be healthy". My response was that I get my carbs from vegetables and that shut the arguments. Incidentally, my mom had a similar discussion with the kinesiologist with the same response. My mom has started moving toward paleo/primal but, like this evening she had a very small bowl of mac and cheese. She's an adult and knows what to do.. you can not police your parents
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Ha! that is an awesome story, paleo_hailey. I have to say, ive kind taken a similar path to your friend. I have a friend who has been paleo for years, and I always looked on him as crazy. But then another friend pointed me to PB, and I was like, "Wait this is like what XXXX has been doing for years...." And now I go to him for primal/paleo advice.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    A friend I work out with about once a month has never known me when I was overweight. However, he's been hearing me talk about what I eat, and seeing how I work out. He's made quite a few comments about how I can do/eat things because I'm skinny. Last month I loaned him a copy of PB and a copy of Pollan's Food Rules. I talked to him a week ago and he said he bought his own copy of PB. I'll be seeing him this weekend, so hopefully he's doing well.

That's the closest I've got to a win so far, but I'll take it anyways.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast