Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Successful Conversions page 3

mammlouk is offline Member
    Corvidae- Sounds like you are working hard to express the genuine concern you have for your family. I have a couple comments. First I hope you recommended Kerrygold! Second I would be careful with getting someone switched over to butter when they don't have an understanding that they need to change the rest of their habits. I'm not saying that we don't have to start somewhere, but I have seen friends in the past decide that butter was the better choice only to switch back later because the rest of their diet was SAD and their doctor was concerned after their most recent cholesterol check. When people don't take the time to inform themselves about all the other causes of systemic inflamation and cholesterol ratios they are bound to take the doctors opinion as gospel. Next thing you know they are telling everyone about how they learned through experiment that butter really is worse for you than margarine.

That said I totally wish you luck and I hope your mom can internalize some of the excellent information here on MDA and start making real long-term change!
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mammlouk View Post
    Corvidae- Sounds like you are working hard to express the genuine concern you have for your family. I have a couple comments. First I hope you recommended Kerrygold! Second I would be careful with getting someone switched over to butter when they don't have an understanding that they need to change the rest of their habits. I'm not saying that we don't have to start somewhere, but I have seen friends in the past decide that butter was the better choice only to switch back later because the rest of their diet was SAD and their doctor was concerned after their most recent cholesterol check. When people don't take the time to inform themselves about all the other causes of systemic inflamation and cholesterol ratios they are bound to take the doctors opinion as gospel. Next thing you know they are telling everyone about how they learned through experiment that butter really is worse for you than margarine.

That said I totally wish you luck and I hope your mom can internalize some of the excellent information here on MDA and start making real long-term change!
    Hell yeah, Kerrigold ;D I just had a little slice of it with breakfast this morning cause I like the creamy taste so much. My mom said she wanted something relatively spreadable, I said that there is a tub version of kerrigold but I didnt know if there were plant oils in it or not. Do you know anything about it?

And yes, I know exactly what you mean. That is my number one concern, that if she doesnt understand shell just bounce off to something else. However, this small accomplishment has given me encouragement that she will at least listen to me.

Luckily, as well as being a biologist, I am also a science writer, specializing in *educational* science writing, so I have been spending time pouring through articles, GCBC, videos of talks from the ancestral health symposium, etc, basically trying to come up with a simplified "lesson plan" of how I can teach this material to my mom.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

mammlouk is offline Member
    I haven't seen it in a tub, but it is probably just the regular stuff with an instruction to soften it for 20 minutes for greater spreadability. I would just tell her to pick up a covered butter dish and keep some out if she really needs it spreadable at a moments notice.

Sounds like you've at least got the background to be able to speak into her life. I'm a tech guy so I don't really have the scientific credibility to make any recommendations. Luckily the 60lbs I've lost since April speak for themselves!
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I'm so happy to be able to add to this thread today! My parents called me this morning (they are currently missionaries in Africa), and my mom wanted advice on how to eat better. I blogged about this new way I was eating a few weeks ago, and how much better I was feeling and that I was losing weight, and she read it and wants to know more.

We're starting with getting rid of all the bread (3-5 slices a day!) and bad oils. I am so happy that they are willing to try this, even on the other side of the world! They are in their 70s, and pretty healthy for their ages, but my mom has had sinus problems all her life, and they are particularly bad right now. There is also a family history of Alzheimer's, so it will be interesting to see, if she can really stick to this, if it will make a difference. I really don't want to watch her go through what my grandmother did. She also had a doctor (a couple years ago, here in the U.S.) prescribe statins for her cholesterol. I think she took them for awhile, but the side effects were so horrific that she stopped, thank heavens. They don't need to lose a ton of weight, but dropping a few pounds wouldn't be bad. I sent them a big list of meal ideas, since that is their big concern: What can we eat?! Luckily they are not picky, and I think they will like all my ideas. I'm excited to see how it goes for them!
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    I can share my own conversion story. Started dating a guy in Feb who was on it, eased me into it (mostly by making me dinner which was entirely meat...harsh for a mostly vegetarian at the time) and after mentioning it to another friend she told me that it was how she ate as well, but she never mentioned it to me because i was (my paraphrasing) a stupid vegetarian who couldn't be changed.
    Anyways, I have always had the blessings of good genes and being able to eat pretty much whatever I wanted (at least in High school when I was super active and had desert after every meal, even breakfast) but more than anything i'm committing to this lifestyle now because I've realized how HAPPY it makes me. I'm always perky! And when I have the unfortunate binge I feel like shit for a day or two, not just physically but mentally.

SO, coming from someone who was deemed to ignorant to get it, I encourage you all to keep spreading the word, and not hide your successes because of preconceived assumptions that other people just won't get it. There may be some like that, but the chance of reaching through to someone greatly increases if you're honest and talk about it! I was super offended being labeled as part of the ignorant, unwilling to change category. Don't we all deserve the chance?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    My MIL cut grains from her diet.

But low and behold, she still has gluten/wheat once a month just to make sure she doesn't develop celiac....

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    My lovely sister had just started on PB last week. She said after a week she already feels so much better. I am so happy for her as she has been quite down lately.

I'm trying to convert my MIL at the moment. She has arthritis, GERD, cholesterol problems and is starting to get forgetful. Oh and the Dr told her she needs to lose weight. She already eats primal at dinner because I cook for her but will put bread rolls on the table as well. The other bonus of getting her on PB would be that she would stop buying crap for my daughter!
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    My MIL cut grains from her diet.

But low and behold, she still has gluten/wheat once a month just to make sure she doesn't develop celiac....
    Mind = boggled
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Mind = boggled
    Yup. Says she never felt better, even though that once a month gluten-fix ensures she struggles for 2 weeks after.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was just on vacation recently in Africa and managed to convert my safari guide. He's quite tall and would look good at 200lbs but he's more like 290 right now. He says his wife, who doesn't have a weight problem, has been on his case to lose weight since he turned 40 last year but all that they knew how to do was just eat smaller portions of the same stuff. That hasn't been working.
    When he heard about my story and saw the way I eat (we spent 12 days together), he said he was totally on board and that his wife will be right there with him, keeping him on the straight and narrow.
    He has promised me before and after pictures so maybe I'll post them if he does well. I just thought it was so cool to make a convert to Primal right there in the land of Grok.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast