Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Conversions page 2

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    So far I have converted my mom, dad, wife, two cousins, 2 neighbors, 1 family friend, and 3 coworkers. Not bad for going Primal this past January.

Loosing around 120 pounds and getting lean seems to be a better advertisement than all the talking and explaining in the world.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    I converted my husband at the same time I got into it myself - he turned out to be more successful that I was. He's never been a big bread or sweets eater, so it was less of a change for him, I think. But it's been nice to have him with me on the full fat foods and eliminating bad oils, etc. It also makes it easier for me to get back on track.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Two close friends, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law. Not bad if I do say so myself!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_hailey View Post
    I get a lot of crap for my weight. I've always been thin, likely because I was raised pretty close to primal and never, ever bought into the low fat = good for you stuff. Being "naturally" skinny means I have no business talking to anyone about diet
    That is do true... this is my GF and can never tell anyone she is on a "diet" because she gets the look of death from everyone because she is 100lbs soaking wet and can eat ANYTHING....

That said when I went primal I drug her along with me haha. She really enjoys food and had no sweet tooth but had the carb flu bad... she was a potato anything aholic. then her alergies went away... the big one she noticed was she was no longer alergic to my cats. After this she was onboard for sure. Once she had a cheat meal and felt like crap and she realised this is how she always felt before but didnt know anybetter... now she is REALLLLLY on board... that and she saw me drop 45 lbs in half a year.

But she still cannot tell her parents she is on ha "diet" haha

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    That is do true... this is my GF and can never tell anyone she is on a "diet" because she gets the look of death from everyone because she is 100lbs soaking wet and can eat ANYTHING....

That said when I went primal I drug her along with me haha. She really enjoys food and had no sweet tooth but had the carb flu bad... she was a potato anything aholic. then her alergies went away... the big one she noticed was she was no longer alergic to my cats. After this she was onboard for sure. Once she had a cheat meal and felt like crap and she realised this is how she always felt before but didnt know anybetter... now she is REALLLLLY on board... that and she saw me drop 45 lbs in half a year.

But she still cannot tell her parents she is on ha "diet" haha
    +Like. Yeah, I mean its awesome that so many come into this with the intention of weight loss and then feel better, but I wish more "skinny people" would come into it just to feel better too. I imagine its because we have such a cultural disconnect from our bodies we dont realize how bad we actually feel, but we sure know how bad we LOOK because of the media telling us so all the time. Also, the only time were told to pay attention to how bad we feel its when someone is selling us something to make us feel better so we dont have to worry about it for long.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 'skinny person' who's come here to feel good!
    And the fact that I've neither lost or gained any weight doing so and that I tend not to join in in epic sugar binges and drinking nights means I have converted a grand total of 0. But I'm working very hard on at least getting my BF to try it. He seriously needs the help but doesn't see the need to -_-
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I have three co-workers giving it a shot as of this week. It's obviously too soon to tell but I'm really optimistic about two of them (the third is vegetarian, but actually her problem is more that she doesn't read anything I sent her, clearly, based on her questions, while the other two are humming along so far)

One is definitely going to do well, she told me outside of oatmeal she doesn't really eat bread, pastas, bagels, etc but knew nothing of primal/paleo. I'm quite confident she'll do okay. Curiously enough she's in the best shape out of the three, though the other two are hardly in bad shape, just a few extra pounds.

Another was more into grains, bagels, stuff and seems thus far to be more "set in her ways" but I think we were all at one point wondering "how am I NOT gonna have a (bagel/oatmeal/pancakes/etc) at breakfast?!" but so far she said she's doing well. The only thing is she needs to eat more protein, but these are all NYC girls living on their own, so prepping and cooking food aren't too high on their to-do lists, and apparently space in these apartments is quite limited.

The third is the vegetarian, I sent her some specific links for people in her situation that are curious about paleo, are willing to eat eggs and dairy but don't want to consume animal flesh, but I'm convinced she's not using the information at all and even talked about dropping "the challenge" and going vegan instead. So, honestly, I'm focusing more on the top two.

We're gonna start bringing food in to share, Monday is my day I'm not sure what I'll make yet, but the upside is we will all have to cook less and only worry about our dinners rather than lunch and dinner. Though for me that's not an issue as I tend to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner.

Hopefully I'll have some converts, who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by PixieKitten View Post
    I'm a 'skinny person' who's come here to feel good!
    And the fact that I've neither lost or gained any weight doing so and that I tend not to join in in epic sugar binges and drinking nights means I have converted a grand total of 0. But I'm working very hard on at least getting my BF to try it. He seriously needs the help but doesn't see the need to -_-
    Yay! Maybe get him to try it just for a few weeks, or even a month? For me, before primal I felt bad all the time but honestly thought it was normal. It wasnt until I was on it for a few weeks and felt better and had that point of comparison that I really understood. My thrill over that even started to overtake my thrill of losing 5 pounds in a week and a half.

Of course, when I suggest this to people, I always worry about Carb Flu. It seems so many people try primal/paleo and then feel worse because of it, so they give it up. >.<
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    Oh he does feel terrible all the time. He's been on this site and looked through the forums, and the research.. but doesn't fancy trying it. he's got a mega high IQ, but sometines he's just a moron. But he's my moron. x] I'm going to send thim the link for this months 30 day challenge and see if I can talk him into it ^_^
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since going primal, I've been really worried about my parents eating habits. Not because theyre not open to new ideas, but because theyre open to TOO MANY new ideas. (Growing up (born 1983) we were subjected to every health trend that came along. Low fat, high fiber, brown rice, margarine, all the crappy CW stuff that we rant against now, I was immersed in it.) Anyway, nowadays, with the field of nutrition in turmoil, and many conflicting things coming out, my mom jumps on board with almost everything she hears. If things are conflicting then she tends to go with whichever idea she heard last. Sometimes this can be ok, sometimes this is harmless, but sometimes its head-bangingly wrong. So I worry that I might send her stuff on paleo diets, but while she will try it, she wont internalize why it works and how more legit it is, and so shell jump off to try the next thing that comes along when it does.

HOWEVER, I made a small success the other day. Mom has been on the verge of osteoporosis for awhile, and she told me recently that her doctor said its worse than ever. I sent her some of Mark's articles on the disease, and shyly suggested that she should, "check out the rest of the site, its really good." My hope is that if she comes across all the connected bits of information on paleo herself, rather than me thrusting an article in her face, shell internalize it more (cause really, thats how it worked for me).

At the same time though, I took a breath and made a leap. My family has been almost 100% margarine eaters for most of my life, at least 25 years. So in the same email, I said how concerned I was that they still relied on it, how Ive been reading a lot of stuff about how bad plant oils are and said that their fear of cholesterol is largely unfounded, based on mounting evidence. I also resigned myself to using a bit of scare-tactic: I said that there is preliminary research suggesting that diets LOW in cholesterol have a HIGHER risk of Alzheimers. (This is true, but it is SUPER preliminary research, I think ive only heard about it from one source, and normally the Good Scientist in me wouldnt even put it out there, but I was desperate.)

Anyway, it seems to have worked, because without another question she emailed back and said that she threw the margarine away and what sort of butter would I recommend? I was shocked at how easy that was, and told her about good places to get grass-fed butter.

Small steps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast