Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New but searching for low-carb mojo! page

iclaudia is offline Junior Member

New but searching for low-carb mojo!

Hello all

I've been low-carbing on and off for about 12 years, have in my time read voraciously on the subject and been a staunch supporter of the science.

But... having had twin girls 20 months ago, I had a fair bit of excess weight to lose. I turned to Dukan, skimmed through the book and ignored all my misgivings about the lack of referencing and the classic espousal of the low-fat mantra, and managed to lose about 55lb, taking me to a 'normal' BMI.

Although YAY I lost weight and looked much better on the outside, my eating habits are completely screwed. I don't feel healthy at all, in fact I feel diabolical. I've lost my way! Currently recuperating from the most vicious flu I've ever had, feeling as though I've lost the desire to cook nice meals, eat delicious vegetables, etc. Today is possibly not the right day to think about starting, because I'm still recovering and feeling ravaged by carb cravings.

I have briefly looked at this site before, but never settled for long. However a few days ago I sat huddled on the sofa and spent a fair while browsing through the ethos of the Primal Blueprint 'way', and I really like the sound of it. I've ordered the book, but I am in desperate need of rediscovering my mojo. I want to shed about 15 pounds, but that's not the main thing. I want to get fit, I want to feel great. I want to skip this hideous addiction to caffeine I developed doing Dukan.

Bleugh... sorry for the offload, but this is my story and hopefully I'm at the start of sorting it all out.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome...This is certainly the way to go, if MOJO is what you desire. Yeah Baby:-) Grok On!

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I am pretty new at this myself, and just working through all the details, but I find pure and simple seem to work best for me. Maybe after I get the hang of it I can start getting fancy with the recipes, but for now protein and veggies is pretty much what is on my plate. When I don't feel healthy the fastest way I know to feel better-rest, drink a lot of water, fresh local seasonal veggies, and a nice pulled beef roast. comfort food at its best.

Good Luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    This is more of a "whole-foods" way of eating than it is low carb, but I think you'll do well at it regardless.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The good that comes from completely ditching grains will really surprise you - no bloating, more even moods, skin gets better - crap, I can't even think of all the things I've heard people go on about.

I've done low carb before, and this feels so much healthier.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and welcome.

I'm really looking forward to getting hold of the book but in the meantime am going to start cutting out all the crap and go from there. I don't need to shift much weight now although at my ghastly age (41) am determined not to accept the condition of my body as being part of the aging process and really want to get fit and get tuned into healthy eating and healthy behaviour.

In particular I am determined to do this for my children. Speaking of which - wondering if there are any resources on the forum about feeding children. Part of my recent downfall has been because of the food I'm feeding them and my tendency to hoover up the leftovers. I don't want to feed them grains, etc - I truly believe if this is the healthy way to live it should be for my children too - but it feels hard to go against the grain (ho ho).....

jfreaksho - interesting that you don't call this low-carb as such. I need to read more around the subject. I guess the aim is not to induce ketosis then..?

I think it is considered ok to go into ketosis, not necessarily the aim though. I am doing Primal as low carb, basically staying below 50g I think-I keep track of what I eat on my journal, but I don't check the values of the calories/carbs/fats. If you go to the Primal 101 link you can find a lot of info. Also a great blog that is really helping me is A Beginner’s Guide to the Primal Lifestyle, Part One | Three New Leaves

I have one son at home-16y.o.- and dh, both of whom were big carb eaters. I am just slowly easing the carbs, that I can control, out of their diets. I don't make pasta or any of the other grains, if they complain I may end up adding in rice on rare occasion, but so far they haven't really noticed. This weekend DS and I are going to start making our own beef jerky-he is kind of excited about it. I made dh some "granola" and told him it was his own personal blend and I was trying to get rid of the excess sugar he was getting from his store bought stuff, he said he couldn't wait to tell his heart doctor. I am also working on a breakfast bar that ds can eat in hand on his way to school (he walks about 1.25 miles to school), and that they can have as an occasional snack. Basically, I am just working toward doing no packaged goods in the house. We don't eat fruit-the boys never really did and since I am low-carb I don't right now, but that would be a good snack or dessert.

Mark also has a shopping list in his beginners info.

Process, not perfection! Good Luck.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iclaudia View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies and welcome.

I'm really looking forward to getting hold of the book but in the meantime am going to start cutting out all the crap and go from there. I don't need to shift much weight now although at my ghastly age (41) am determined not to accept the condition of my body as being part of the aging process and really want to get fit and get tuned into healthy eating and healthy behaviour.

In particular I am determined to do this for my children. Speaking of which - wondering if there are any resources on the forum about feeding children. Part of my recent downfall has been because of the food I'm feeding them and my tendency to hoover up the leftovers. I don't want to feed them grains, etc - I truly believe if this is the healthy way to live it should be for my children too - but it feels hard to go against the grain (ho ho).....

jfreaksho - interesting that you don't call this low-carb as such. I need to read more around the subject. I guess the aim is not to induce ketosis then..?
    I don't have any objections to ketosis, but this is not designed as a low-carb way of life. This is about getting healthy, as you mentioned above. If you simply focus on the low-carb aspect of it, you can allow yourself to eat "Atkins bars" and other processed junk. I do better thinking of it as a diet of whole, nutrient-dense, natural foods.

More and more paleo writers are starting to admit that carbs are not the devil they once were- sweet potatoes and yams are a healthy source of carbs for many people. This is not Atkins. Low-carb is useful for losing weight for most people, but zero-carb isn't natural, and paleo/primal should include healthy primal carbs from vegetables and fruits and such. The amount depends on your body and your goals.

I guess what I'm getting at is that "low-carb" does not make something primal or paleo, but paleo tends to be lower-carb than most other ways of eating. "Whole foods" works better for me than "low carb" at choosing what I'm going to eat.

Personally I can't think of it as a diet at all or I start looking to see about cheating. It is more of a philosophy that includes eating whole foods but excluding grains-which sort of makes this naturally low carb. I find these diagrams very helpful...

How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

So you can see that while this is not low carb on an Atkins scale it is lower than the way most people eat. Also Atkins and Dukon are diets, again this is not only about the way you eat it is much more all encompassing than that and why I consider it more of my life philosophy than a diet or even a lifestyle change.
    Chris
    Unknown

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks again.

Although of course it's entirely my own doing, I blame following the Dukan diet for getting me where I am today - feeling very cut off from process of eating healthily for health's sake.

I totally get what you're saying about low carb taken in extremis can mean eating loads of fake foods. I hate the fake foods - I got to a point when low-carbing before where ANY food which caused me to eat it compulsively was one I wanted to avoid - and of course fake foods come under that category. Dukan is big on sweeteners and on low-fat dairy (actually, fat-free dairy) and although it was good for me in the sense of losing weight, as I say above it totally screwed my relationship to food.

I have weighed myself this morning and appalled to find that I'm 11lb up on my lowest weight. This morning has been a breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon and smoked salmon (it was a hotel buffet yip yip) and I'm ditching all the bakery crap I've been scoffing recently. Sadly not going to be able to get hold of my copy of PB for 10 days as it's been delivered to the UK and I'm collecting it en route to a 2 week holiday in Greek islands. But whereas before I would have used the holiday as an excuse to do what I like for two weeks, I'm going to aim to get back in the zone before then, have the PB for reading while away and get back in that golden zone where you KNOW these things do nothing but harm and therefore don't even want to eat them.

Finding this site a bit overwhelming to skim through at the moment, mainly perhaps because I haven't actually read the PB yet! One thing though is that this is probably the first day in two weeks where I feel my health is back to normal after the bout of grim flu I've just experienced. Have ordered the Primal Leap (expensive I know but was desperate for help to get back in the zone; hope it's worth it!) along with the basic supps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast