Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need A Primal Doctor, please page

Hilde is offline Member

Need A Primal Doctor, please

Hi!

I'm a 17 year old girl and have been nauseas for the last three years, and it has just been getting worse and worse. It's this really intense burning nausea in my troath, and it feels like it's coming from my stomach, but I never throw up. I've been primal for seven months, but nothings changed, But I discovered that when I do really strict IF and only eat between 1 pm and 7 pm it helps, But when I'm to tired and exhausted I just don't have the energy to not eat when I'm starving. And I'm exhausted a lot, have CFS. A week ago I discovered that If I take acid reducing medicine (prescription free Novaluzid) It also helps. I have taken a lot of blood-tests, but everything is fine. Any ideas? desperately needs help and advice.

Thanks
    It turns out that common sense is not as common as we thought.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
    Hi!

I'm a 17 year old girl and have been nauseas for the last three years, and it has just been getting worse and worse. It's this really intense burning nausea in my troath, and it feels like it's coming from my stomach, but I never throw up. I've been primal for seven months, but nothings changed, But I discovered that when I do really strict IF and only eat between 1 pm and 7 pm it helps, But when I'm to tired and exhausted I just don't have the energy to not eat when I'm starving. And I'm exhausted a lot, have CFS. A week ago I discovered that If I take acid reducing medicine (prescription free Novaluzid) It also helps. I have taken a lot of blood-tests, but everything is fine. Any ideas? desperately needs help and advice.

Thanks
    It does sound a lot like reflux. Have you seen a gastroenterologist? There are physical/anatomical issues that can cause severe reflux no matter what your diet consists of. That would be my first step.

As far as diet goes, could there be a primal food item that is still contributing to reflux? Dairy, coffee, eggs, nuts, etc.... Could you list a few days of your diet?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Have you seen a doctor? Been checked for an ulcer or GERD? Sounds like an acid reflux problem (but I am not a doctor!) but problems like this can also be caused by too little stomach acid as well as too much.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hilde is offline Member
    My diet varies a lot. I have stayed away from dairy, coffee, eggs and nuts over long periods of time, but haven't noticed any difference. A couple of months ago I had a BIG salad for late breakfast with meat, salad, olive oil, paprika ( mild pepper), tomato, onion and so on. A smoothie with berries, coconut milk and rice protein powder for late lunch, and dinner is normally stir fried ( I think it's called) veggies and meat. I had this almost every day with some small variations. lately I have been eating a omelet several times a week, but noticed no difference. I mostly drink tea, But there are some weeks here and there where I drink 1-3 cups of coffee a day, but that varies a lot. normally don't drink milk, but drink it a bit off and on and notice no difference. same with nuts.

have not seen a gastroenterologist, but I am going to try to go to the doctor monday, but it is nice to know what to ask. have been there so many times with same problems, but they never find a solution. took a blood test recently for ---don't know what it's called in english--- a bacteria or something that causes wounds in my stomach or something. has to do with to much acid I think, but test was negative.

appreciate all help

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    If it is acid reflux, a lot of people around here seem to vouch for a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water with your meal. If you have some around it could be worth trying.

took a blood test recently for ---don't know what it's called in english--- a bacteria or something that causes wounds in my stomach or something. has to do with to much acid I think, but test was negative.
    Probably Helicobacter pylori, so basically an ulcer test.
    Last edited by jhc; 09-03-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Hilde is offline Member
    Thanks, I will give the apple cider vinegar a go! Think that sounds a lot more healthy and primal than the Novaluzid I'm taking now. Will tell you how it goes.

By the way, is this something that will help instantaneously, or do I have to try it for a couple of weeks before I notice any change?
    Last edited by Hilde; 09-04-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Not to replace a doctor, but are you using coconut oil for cooking? It sounds counter-intuitive, but coconut oil can soothe indigestion. It took a while of being primal and no grains for my Gerd to settle itself, but drinking a shot of coconut oil helped. I have fructose malabsorption so I had to cut way back on fruit as well as some veggies. I was able to reintroduce later, but it helped in the beginning. You might want to find a different protein powder, as rice may be bothering you. If you dairy you could try whey. I have a whey and strawberry smoothie most days.

Sounds like reflux to me, but I'd still get it checked out. I was diagnosed with it in the 1st grade, and ended up with it plaguing me until I left for college. There were some years that were so bad that I lost weight because I simply couldn't eat anything, I felt so bad. I was on meds and the doctor's recommended removing all the usual acidic foods from my diet and none of that helped. They couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I ended up with other digestive problems later once the acid reflux resolved and they all seemed to get better with the removal of gluten. Looking back, for me it might have been the gluten all along, but it wasn't until a few years ago that gluten intolerance became pretty well known.

However, if you're sticking pretty well Primal, it shouldn't be gluten, unless it's sneaking into things you wouldn't expect. What I am gonna say though, is look into things you wouldn't expect. While 9/10 times it'll be something common causing the problem, some people react to different things.

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried eliminating common allergens?

Through a painful process of cutting and bringing things back, I've found out I have problems with anything from the nightshade family (tomatoes and peppers), and I might have a problem with tea.

Some of the more common allergens to think about are; milk and dairy, eggs, nightshades, dark green vegetables (like spinach or kale), and fruits like berries (especially strawberries), bananas, peaches, and apples.

This isn't a doctor's advice by any means, but it's a simple enough test, and it may take as little as a week for you to notice a major difference. If it is the tomatoes, it may only take a day or two.

Hilde is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went about 6 months without dairy, gluten, tomatoes, eggs and you name it before I went primal, than 2 months primal without these things and really strict no fruit, low carb, but noticed no difference. Maybe I should try without tea for a while, didn't know that was something to think about, drink a lot of tea. Thanks for advice.

About the coconut oil, is it the same benefit from coconut milk if I get the same amount of fat? A bit skeptic to using coconut oil when cooking, doesn't it taste very coconutty? And how do you drink a shot of coconut oil? heat it up? how much should I have?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast