Thread: Nails page

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Has anyone thought why we need nails? Are these proof of claws we didn't need anymore or what?

And does this mean nail-biting was a natural ancestor activity? Perhaps to sharpen teeth?

Intresting:

"from evolutionary viewpoint, the limbs of all mammals end in a hardened structure - the hoof or claw. this hard structure serves the protect the limb from excessive wear (as in the hoof), or can be used as a tool for digging or as a weapon for overall protection (as in the claw). This arrangement has proved so useful, that every mammal has these items, or their equivalent, and evolution has acted to eliminate all genetic variation that would prevent their development.

So, evolutionary history has dictated that we must have a "hard thing" at the end of our fingers and toes.

When primates evolved, one of their defining differences was the

transformation of the claw into a nail. some types of less derived primates shave a few claws, but all primates still have a nail-like structure at the end of their fingers and toes). Primates manipulate their environment by grasping things and claws can get in the way of grasping and fine manipulation (same with long fingernails). Because primates tend grasp things (tree limbs, etc.) with both their hand and their feet it was advantageous to transform all of the claws into nails. Nails still provide some of the protective function of claws, but are not as effective as digging tools or weapons (try having a scratching match with your pet cat to verify this)."

-http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/about6502.html

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

I've always wondered about nails and what evolutionary advantage they brought. Obviously we would have had to bite them to keep them short. Thanks for posting this. Perhaps it was for digging and other various activities that conferred a survival advantage.

jrherring is offline Senior Member

No nails means no 'backbone' for your fingertips. They'd be squishy and flimsy...of sorts.

Though some runners are removing their toenails to keep from getting 'black nails' from running so much.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

Oww

I take it they don't wear sandals often then...

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Eww. Nails are for scratching itches, picking noses and opening modern packaging. Oh and painting pretty colours, if you are so inclined. I wouldn't want to lose mine, even if I do keep them short and workmanlike.