Thread: Seasonal Allergies Question page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Seasonal Allergies Question

Are they a sign of a weak or strong immune system?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget genes and climate too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Overactive, though not necessarily weak or strong. Getting sick often is a symptom of a weak immune system. Allergies are something different. Some postulate that allergies can be caused by a lack of exposure to "real" problems that your immune system needs to handle and that getting dirty and exposed to more bacteria and such will allow your immune system to be busy without being overactive. I'm not sure if I believe it.

For what it's worth, consuming local bee pollen is supposed to help, as is sufficient vitamin D, in my experience. I've had all of one day of fall allergies this year, which is really atypical.

I have had horrible, disease-like spring allergies for a few years now, but this year I'm getting killed by fall allergies for the first time, WTF.

I hardly ever get sick except for this.

Is it an indication of anything?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I've had some unusually strong summer/fall allergies this year, but it's also been an insanely high-pollen, high-wind, high-dust, low-rain summer here in Phoenix. So I think it's more down to an extraordinary outside influence than anything.

Likely an indication of an upregulated immune system - obviously - which can get a little chicken/egg. It could be the manifestation of underlying problems, or it could be the cause of upregulation.

There's also the question of adrenal dysfunction - if the adrenal cortex is not releasing the hormones that control the inflammatory response, allergies can go crazy. Obviously getting rid of refined sugar (probably already checked that box!) is great, but getting a good daily dose of cholesterol-rich foods to support hormone synthesis and plenty of the C complex to support adrenal function could help. I love egg yolks and sauerkraut. Not together

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    I developed severe allergies - terrible hayfever and skin rashes - for the first time in my life when I moved to the US. It's gradually improved every year. I've heard from many other people that they also developed allergies after moving to Los Angeles that cleared up with 18-24 months... like your body just has to get used to a new environment. This seems to contradict the increased exposure = increased allergic response theory, n=1 of course!

I've had good results with two natural products - mangosteen juice and a supplement called Allerstan (now called Rainbow Light Allergy Rescue I think - you can buy it at Whole Foods or on Amazon.) Might be worth checking out?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I moved to the US 9 years ago but only started getting allergies 4 years ago. Every year it gets worse.