Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my new Dr. page

Biggonz is offline Junior Member

Help with my new Dr.

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing a fairly strict Primal/Paleo/LCHF for about 9 months. I am a big guy weighing about 320, (lost about 25 lbs right away and then stopped losing. I feel good, wish I was losing more weight. Here is the deal. I just got a new health plan (Kaiser) did a full blood panel and here are my results:

Fasting Glucose 108

CHOLESTEROL 268

TRIGLYCERIDE 146

HDL 43

LDL CALCULATED 196

CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 6.2

TSH 1.65

HGBA1C 5.6

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY 87

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY, D3 87

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY, D2 <4

BUN 17

SODIUM 140.0

POTASSIUM 4.3

CHLORIDE 100.0

CO2 30.0

ALT 28

My new Dr seems very robotic and old school. His nurse left me a vm today suggesting I cut back on sugar (what sugar?!?), fat, and start on simvistatin(sp) 40mg day right away. I don't want to be on a statin. Are these numbers horrible? How do I convincingly talk to him about my numbers and diet choices on my next visit in October? Thanks, I really need your help.

For more Paleo hacks: My blood levels? - Paleo Hacks.com

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggonz View Post
    Fasting Glucose 108
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

CHOLESTEROL 268

My new Dr seems very robotic and old school. His nurse left me a vm today suggesting I cut back on sugar (what sugar?!?), fat, and start on simvistatin(sp) 40mg day right away. I don't want to be on a statin.
    JNRBM | Abstract | No connection between the level of exposition to statins in the population and the incidence/mortality of acute myocardial infarction: An ecological study based on Sweden's municipalities.

Cut back on all sugar.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Not very good figures. You need to raise HDL and lower trigs and LDL.

Your vitamin D is high. You could save some money by reducing your supplementation

You need to post details of your diet and lifestyle for us to suggest changes
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Grizz is offline Banned
    You need to lose 100 lbs & those bad numbers will clear up. Suggestions:
    * Walk 10,000 steps a day every day
    * Stop eating anything with grain, high fructose corn syrup & hydrogenated oils
    * No alcohol, pop, soda or anything with sugar in it.
    * Strictly limit your salt intake
    Doctors always prefer drugs over diet & exercise so I suggest no drugs & focus on weight loss.

Read my Research Report, below. ( Your Vitamin D level is not "too high" I call it just right )
    Especially the 1st 2 or 3 screens.

Grizz

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I think you should follow the Leptin-Prescribtion - Jack Kruse Lots of people like you who finally start losing weight again after stalling for a long time. It will sort out the hormones.

Biggonz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Guys! I'm pretty strict. While I don't always get grain fed, I eat a lot of organic eggs, big-ass salads, no bread, no soda, No HFCS. I eat sea salt, some atkins bars and shakes on the run, not many, also some questprotein bars on the run. I like Fullfat cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I like real butter. Lower carb organic Jerky from TJ's, Avocados etc. I drink coffee with heavy whipping cream ,,,I get about two heavy kettlebell tabata style workouts in a week intermixed with undulating ropes push ups and sit ups, some jiu jitsu 1-2 times per month. (17 years in BJJ). Hardly any walking though. I try to live by the 90/10 rule as far as my eaing. I've read marks book and I read this blog and several othrs

peril is offline Senior Member
    Those bars and shakes are likely to have toxins - tendency is to swap one toxin for another. You seem to be very low carb. This is not necessary for primal weightloss and there is increasing evidence that it can have a negative effect on lipids, particularly LDL
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    While your doc is "old school" his concerns about your triglycerides and HDl level are valid, both are too high and show you are at risk for heart disease.

For now I would ignore the prescription, go seriously primal (cutout protein bar crap), eat only real food, go as low carb as you can (25 g/ day) and retest in 6 months. Buy a blood glucose monitor and learn what triggers insulin in your body.

And definitely look at the leptin FAQs, the basic princples will help you whether you are leptin resistant or not. If you are LR, exercising will hurt you in your weight loss quest. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post557232
    Last edited by Adrianag; 09-04-2011 at 05:55 AM.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Check the bars you're eating, as well as the shakes.

Many "low sugar" protein bars, have sugar alcohols - which aren't the nicest things in most cases(erythritol is a bit different, but that's another topic). Many sugar alcohols cause gas due to not being digested well, and they generally get converted to some form of carbohydrate after absorption into the body - so they're not necessarily non-glycemic or non-insulogenic. In fact, sugar alcohols are firmly on my "foods to avoid" list - mostly due to the potential digestive side effects, but for someone with blood sugar/diabetic issues, the way they are metabolized and their potential impact on blood sugar/insulin is a concern too.

Shakes, if they're just protein you're probably in okay shape there - avoid the ones with carbohydrates if possible.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    For the shakes I have found a protein powder sweetened with Stevia (a tad pricey, no more so than the pre-made shakes though), tastes fantastic and I mix it with morning (iced) coffee and a touch of cream=yummy mocha!

I went to making homemade primal energy bars.

also, ask that the next time they do the numbers to please get actual numbers for the LDL and to break it down into the Small (dense and more dangerous) LDL's vs. the big puffy ones (I think these can actually be beneficial). I also believe that calculated LDL can be off by quite a lot. The two kinds of small LDL | The Heart Scan Blog

Good Luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast