Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: California Bill Taking Away Parental Freedoms regarding Vaccines--ACT NOW page 2

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    Parents should always be notified of the vaccination process.

That being said, to my mind it would be perfectly acceptable to deny a child access to public schools on the basis that they are un-vaccinated. There is a reason that measles has re-appeared in North America.
    And kids had measles and survived it just fine long before forced vaccinations came around. As a matter of fact, my mom took me to a friends house who had the measles just so I could get it while off from school and on her schedule. Somehow I survived that abuse. I also drank water from a garden hose, rode a bike without a helmet, skinned off various parts of my body and healed up without the use of antibiotics, and (gasp), managed to avoid contracting a life threatening disease despite not having a mother following me around with a bottle of hand sanitizer to scrub me down every time I got dirty.

But what do you expect from today's education prison cam.....um, pubic schools?

Why the next thing you know, they will be handcuffing little kids for talking during class.....sorry what? Oh, my bad, they are already starting that.

First Graders Handcuffed At Chicago School, Told They Were Going To Prison: Lawsuit

The school allegedly authorized on-campus security to discipline disruptive first graders, Fox Chicago reports. The children who were considered disruptive were then allegedly handcuffed for an hour and sent to an office, where they were told "they were going to prison and would never see their parents again," attorney Michael Carin told the Tribune.
    Being denied access to a governmental forced indoctrination institute (GFII or Public School) is a good thing.

Ah yes, the land of the free (my ass)

Note: the photo is not from the incident in Chicago but a picture does speak a thousand words.
    Last edited by texas.grok; 09-02-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    The CA legislature is notorious for passing dumb bills. I happen to agree with this bill. Read
    Here is ta statement written about the cons of the bill from the site I linked above: http://nvicadvocacy.org/members/Port...vVetoAB499.pdf

*If* the bill were used only in the way described in the link you posted, I can see how it could be wonderful. It is difficult to predict how such a bill/law would be used in the future. As it could be used to give (mass?) vaccinations to 12 year olds at school without parental consent or awareness, it is just unnerving to me as a parent. Thanks very much for posting 'the other side' of the issue.

As an aside, I was under the impression that Planned Parenthood gave free birth control as well as gynecological (etc) care to teens without needing parental consent. In California, they do give abortions without requiring parental consent. Parental Consent and Notification Laws (Not the same as getting preventative vaccinations I know...)
    Last edited by FairyRae; 09-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Some discussion on the issue on the MDC forums for those interested: CA bill (AB 499) would allow 12 year olds to consent to certain vaccines without parental knowledge

Something else on the topic: Stealth Vaccine Laws Allow Children to Consent to Vaccines

I'm really glad Hedonist posted, as its not a black/white issue. I'd be interested in learning more about the medical care currently available to teens who do not get parental consent (as that seems to be the major focus of the bill). I absolutely believe in teens having access to condoms, sex ed, pregnancy and std prevention information as well as std testing etc. without needing parental consent...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Paleobird Guest
    I think this debate could be seen from the opposite point of view. How about instead of "taking away a parent's right to know/choose" for their child, what if it were framed as "giving a teen the right to make their own decision without having to tell the disapproving parents"? Yes PP does give out care for free but how is a tween supposed to get themselves there without parents knowing? If the vaccine is available at school, she can get it and be safer without dealing with the parents who think she is still going to be a virgin when she gets married so she doesn't need the shot.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Considering that there are increases in cases of mumps and the like throughout the east - I'm ok with CA's choice, even if it is only restricted to vaccines for STDs.

I feel that parental consent should only be an important factor if they actually understand the point and value of a vaccine. I also think vaccines should be required for access to public services such as public schooling.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggers069 View Post
    I don't believe one vaccine is worse than another, but, I do believe mixing four or five of them can cause harm.. Since they have been doing so, autism has skyrocketed and as a parent it is my right to know and make the decision if I want my child to have these vaccines.. And it is rumored that some have mercury in them.. I cannot prove it, but, some doctor told me this..
    Both have been debunked a lot. Although Alex Jones does talk a lot about both issues.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

dado Guest
    Is anyone really surprised? look at the trajectory public education has taken in the last 40 or 50 years.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Vaccines do have mercury in them, though child vaccines are supposed to have most of it removed. My wife has severe allergies to the Thimerasol, which is the preservative with the mercury in it. She also reacts to formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen, also found in pretty much every vaccine. Her father had similar chemical allergies to various things, so we are going to have to be extra careful with our kids and vaccinations. There are valid medical reasons for refusing them.

In addition, the purpose of a vaccination is to stimulate the immune system to fight the infection and learn how to ward it off in the future. It is common practice for newborns to be given vaccinations, even though their immune systems are not developed enough to "learn" until at least six months old. I'm not a big fan of that, either.

*Note* If I'm wrong, please link to evidence. I would be glad to clarify my views. Thanks.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Vaccines do have mercury in them, though child vaccines are supposed to have most of it removed. My wife has severe allergies to the Thimerasol, which is the preservative with the mercury in it. She also reacts to formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen, also found in pretty much every vaccine. Her father had similar chemical allergies to various things, so we are going to have to be extra careful with our kids and vaccinations. There are valid medical reasons for refusing them.

In addition, the purpose of a vaccination is to stimulate the immune system to fight the infection and learn how to ward it off in the future. It is common practice for newborns to be given vaccinations, even though their immune systems are not developed enough to "learn" until at least six months old. I'm not a big fan of that, either.

*Note* If I'm wrong, please link to evidence. I would be glad to clarify my views. Thanks.
    I think it's crazy that a person has to justify their vaccine refusal with valid medical reasons. It should be if I don't want a vaccine, I'm not having one, what of it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I feel that parental consent should only be an important factor if they actually understand the point and value of a vaccine.
    Do you mean only if the parents are pro-vaccines? (Seriously an honest question--many parents heavily weigh the pros and cons of every single vaccination, deeply researching these issues before deciding whether to give various vaccinations to their children.)

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I also think vaccines should be required for access to public services such as public schooling.
    As a parent I personally would much prefer this to having my child receive vaccinations without my knowing or consent. FWIW, I live in NYS where it is quite a difficult and complex process to send a selectively or unvaccinated child to public school. Homeschooling is an option many families choose, in part, because of the vaccination issue. I just do not want my child getting invasive preventative medical treatment without my knowledge. (Emergency medical treatment in an accident or life threatening situation is completely different and something I would be all for. But in terms of prevention, I want awareness and consent.)
    My Before/After Pics

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast