Thread: Chewing Food page

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Here's a question that's kind of silly but has been bothering me the past couple of days. When eating a meal, how important is it to thoroughly chew your food? Sure, no one wants to choke, but when I eat I also don't want to have to dissolve my food into a paste before swallowing. Does extensive chewing help you assimilate more nutrients or does your stomach acid just take care of that? Every once in a while I like to just go to town on a large meal and I'm wondering if this is a bad thing. I've read a lot of stuff: (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=36) that says the benefits of chewing but I'm just wondering if it is just hype?

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

If you are eating starch, it is of paramount importance.

If you are eating meat, it will help ease the digestion, but is not that important.

I guess the much touted benefits to chewing are actually true, but only if you are eating a lot of starch.

nina_70 Guest

I pretty much agree w/ Arnand.

Amylase, the primary enzyme in your saliva, is specific to starch break-down. So, it's very important to chew your carbs.

Fat & meat should also be chewed to help break down the volume & start the digestion process, but it's not as critical as starches. There is some enzyme action in saliva e.g. salivary lipase which helps start fat digestion, for example (the rest of which is handled by pancreatic salivary lipase), but there's no salivary enzymes that are involved in protein digestion...that all happens internally. Still, chewing helps to break the larger pieces into smaller ones and moisten them for swallowing, so there's benefits to that.

Pretty nice concern..!!!!!

Eileen..

====================

<a href="http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/programs.asp">

Workout Routine</a>

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Great, thanks for the info guys.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Chewing creates more surface area on the food for the digestive enzymes to work on.