Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Being Healthy Is Apparently Socially Unnattractive page 13

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This is all in the framing, really. I am having leg of lamb and 1/2 a butternut squash for dinner, I ate my salad of golden beets, greens, and raw goat cheese early because I was hungry. No one on the planet would call that "extreme" and "unsustainable."
    If you describe a meal or two, people say, "that sounds tasty and so healthy" - it's the whole "belief system" thing that people get upset about. You could always just say, "I've never been a big cake eater" or something - people aren't going to get too upset if you say it like that.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I do the opposite and say I eat a really 'extreme' diet comprising of meat, vegetables, fruit, eggs and cheese. You can see their brains ticking over while they try and work out why this is extreme. I don't see any need to tell them what I DON'T eat unless they ask.

SarahByDesign is offline Junior Member
    I just tell people to "you worry about you and I can take care of me" which is essentially worry about what they are eating themselves and not about what I am or am not eating and or drinking!!!!! and that usually shuts them up!
    ~DFTBA~

jenniejenjen is offline Junior Member
    Important to remember though that when not looked into, this diet is "extreme" - it's goes against conventional wisdom and on the surface can be likened to the Atkins which has gotten some terrible press in recent years so your friends' concern is probably coming from a good place. This lifestyle does go against the grain (heh, heh) so it may seem drastic when explained to people who haven't looked into it.

I reckon it's really important to have "sod it" days when you allow yourself the odd drink or bit of cake if you fancy. Why not when you're concious of your health and eating habits the rest of the time!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I mentioned it in another thread, but my mom wanted me to call my brother and lecture him on the hazards of eating "too much" meat.

I'm more likely to high five him.

That did not make my mom happy, especially when I followed it up with telling her how good animal fat is for you.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    Sometimes I do the opposite and say I eat a really 'extreme' diet comprising of meat, vegetables, fruit, eggs and cheese. You can see their brains ticking over while they try and work out why this is extreme. I don't see any need to tell them what I DON'T eat unless they ask.
    That's brilliant. I'll have to try it sometime.

whatizmu is offline Junior Member
    You know, prior to my second child I weighed 128 lbs soaking wet and I am 5'9. Women who were not so slender seemed to think it was totally ok to call me skinny, scrawny, too thin, and anorexic to my face and in front of others.

Ok, so let me clarify, they felt safe doing it ONCE.

I would always come back with something along the lines of "Gee, to me saying someone is scrawny or skinny is pretty much the same as calling someone overweight lardy, tubby, or disgusting and fat.... I think it is fantastic that you want to have such an open and honest friendship with me. Would you like to talk more about each other's weight??"

I have mellowed a little over the years, but I still feel the same way. I can also see my thin frame coming back quickly now that I have added animal products back into my diet and it wont be long before someone says this to me again. I might soften my comeback a tiny bit, but I am not going to tolerate anyone taking out their insecurities on me any more than I ever have.

And that is what this is, ChasePaelo. They are jealous and threatened, and they wish they could figure out how to look and feel good.

I have two bits of advice for you. Dont force people clearly not interested in health kicks to hear about your health kicks. Dont be "Born Again Paleo", LOL! Instead, do your thing and if people are curious THEY will come to YOU. Apart from that, if people give you a hard time you should push back. You should not shove it in their faces, but you should not let people be lame to you, either.

Cheers!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213