Thread: Hi all! page

martin05rc is offline Junior Member

Hi all!

Shop Now
    My story sounds like that of many. 48, 5' 8", 220. Got sick and tired of feeling crappy and decided to do something about it. My primary concern was that I did not want to do anything that was not sustainable. Most diets are not. There is no way you can live that way.

I went ahead and had my body composition tested. 32% body fat. That's gotta change. The test also measured my resting metabolic rate at 1824 kcal/day.

I did two things: I started on a low carb diet of roughly 1,500 kcal/day and decided to take-up swimming. Now I am reading the Primal book and shifting into this approach because I know that it is sustainable.

I do have a question about the swimming. I am swimming 90 minutes a day four days a week. Right now I have sporadic weight lifting during my off days. I am planning on doing more lifting.

Am I swimming too much? It doesn't seem that way to me. Also, I don't feel bad about missing a day here and there (like this week, only three days). I am not trying to become a competitive swimmer. I figured it'd be great to learn to swim properly and use that as my cardio. It is also building muscle because, well, there's a lot of muscle to be built.

Thanks for the pointers.

I am going for a another body composition test in 45 days to get a real measure of what has changed.

My first goal is to get to 15% body fat content. That means loosing 48lbs of body fat.
    Last edited by martin05rc; 09-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey Martin...Welcome, glad to have you with us:-) I would cut back on the #of days of swimming to maybe 2, and certainly the duration(30-45 minutes should be fine). Are you doing any sprints while you swim? Any walking/running/biking? Have you downloaded the efitness book(lots of GREAT info there)? Also, you might look at the WOW archives. Remember, Primal is about reducing the workout time, and actually getting more out of less:-) Keep up the good work, and Grok On!

martin05rc is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Hey Martin...Welcome, glad to have you with us:-) I would cut back on the #of days of swimming to maybe 2, and certainly the duration(30-45 minutes should be fine). Are you doing any sprints while you swim? Any walking/running/biking? Have you downloaded the efitness book(lots of GREAT info there)? Also, you might look at the WOW archives. Remember, Primal is about reducing the workout time, and actually getting more out of less:-) Keep up the good work, and Grok On!
    The swimming is a combination of comfortable pace laps with all-out laps and even drills where you go faster on every lap. My endurance went from having to take a break to catch my breath every 25 yards (length of the pool) to now being able to do 200 yards without breaks. Still winded, but getting noticeably better (and it's only been four weeks or so). Swimming about 2000 yards per workout (although that is not a goal or requirement).

My thinking is that the fast or all out laps are "fight or flight" moments, which might be good. Also, pushing water around has to build muscle to a certain level 'cause it take real force to do it. No?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Martin. Welcome.

I would say to cut the intense swimming to twice a week but swim as often as you want to for fun, keeping it under 75% max. heart rate.

Also, pushing water around has to build muscle to a certain level 'cause it take real force to do it. No?
    Yes. You could add a variety of water "aerobic" moves to get close to a full range of resistance work. (Would still need to do overhead stuff on land unless you got water weights of some kind.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.