Thread: Sour Cherries? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Sour Cherries?

I love sour cherries, and Nankin cherries are all ripe now and ready for picking, but what to do with them if i can't do jam/jellie? I froze a few, just to eat frozen, and they can't be used in a smootie, because of pits. Or should I try to boil and juice them without sugar and freeze that juice for making smoothies?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    You could try pre-mashing them, and then freezing the mash in ice cube trays. You could also go for pickling them, but they will lose some of that Nankin flavor.

I don't know if you drink, but you can also use cherries to infuse liquors. Awesome with whiskeys, rums, and vodka.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    You can pit them and then freeze them. Or dehydrate them. If you cook them down, they'll make a nice jam but it should definitely be kept in the freezer if you're not adding sugar and canning by boiling it in the can. I think you can pressure-can without added sugar, but I don't know that for a fact.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 09-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Nope, i do not drink, and life's too short to pit nanking cherries, lol. They are the size of a pea, LOL!

I think I am going to boil and mush the way the recipes start, then strain and freeze in the ice cubes. The only concern I have was that when I froze orange juice concentrate in the ice cubes, it won't come out, they are never frozen solid, I have to keep it in the tray and dig out each cube individually with a fork.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Ah, I wasn't aware they were so small. I know there are devices for pitting normal sized cherries, but they probably wouldn't work on those. I wish I could find sour cherries around here. I hear about how wonderful they are, but have never gotten to try them.

You normally wouldn't find sour cherries in stores. I have two sour cherry trees (with relatively large size cherries, but not bing cherry size, lol), plus a nanking, but they are all first year, so no crop till next year. But there are plenty of nanking cherries on the community grounds, so I am going to pick some of those like last year.

glbrown is offline Junior Member
    Hi Leida,

Do you know where I can find sour cherries in Calgary? I'd like to pick some but I can't find any.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You normally wouldn't find sour cherries in stores. I have two sour cherry trees (with relatively large size cherries, but not bing cherry size, lol), plus a nanking, but they are all first year, so no crop till next year. But there are plenty of nanking cherries on the community grounds, so I am going to pick some of those like last year.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glbrown View Post
    Hi Leida,

Do you know where I can find sour cherries in Calgary? I'd like to pick some but I can't find any.
    Thanks.
    Look in back alleys in older neighbourhoods. I'm in Brentwood and they're all over the place.

Leida, unfortunately boiling/mashing them is more trouble than it's worth for what you get out of it. I simmered down a huge bowl of them the other day and after straining (which took ages), I was left with about a cup and a half of thick liquid.
    I plan on taking a bunch out to BC with me boating this weekend and will enjoy them one at a time after they've had a long soak in a vat of vodka with a bunch of other fruit friends.

manybirdme is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think you can pressure-can without added sugar, but I don't know that for a fact too