Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh so new... From the SF Bay! page

Westly is offline Senior Member

Oh so new... From the SF Bay!

Shop Now
    Hey there all!

I'm new. Like, 300 pages into the book new. I've borrowed it from a friend while I'm waiting for Amazon to ship it to me because I just wanted to LEAP into it as soon as I could!

I'm From the SF bay area, and I'm way overweight! I'm five two and two hundred and sixty pounds! WTF?! How did THAT happen!

Well, I can tell you pretty easily.

I grew up in the Midwest, where everything his carbs and corn. In fact, I was SURROUNDED by corn! No kidding! I went to school in the middle of a cornfield!

So, I ate like that for thirty years! Nomming constantly on bread and burgers...

And then, I was reading LJSecret, it's a community similar to PostSecret on LiveJournal, where a person posted about how they needed to lose 170lbs, and was going to go to a completely raw diet doing so.

I did the raw diet thing, and felt spectacular, but...I kind of felt I was missing something. And it was meat!

I didn't know where to go from there, so I waffled, and put on another 40lbs. (OMGWTF?!) and I was reading through LJSecret, and someone suggested Mark's Daily Apple. So, me being me, I slunk over to the site, and was BLOWN AWAY! (In a good way!)

So, here I am, happily reading through the blog, the book, and I'd read through the exercise info.

I like this plan because it's got such NORMAL food to it, and it seems so VERY sustainable! So...here I am, I can't wait to finish the book, and I'm looking for locals that I can get together and talk with!

So...Hi! My name's Westly!
    Last edited by Westly; 09-02-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Clarifying
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hi Westly...Welcome. Former Bay Area Boy(grew up in La Honda) south of the city. This is the place to be. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of good people/info here. Good Luck, and Grok On!

Oh, I'll be happy to harass everyone! I'm a chatty type of person! I really think that this came to me at a perfect time for me to form some awesome habits!!
    Down from 275 to 250!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Westy. Welcome from Sacramento. I hope primal goes really well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm working my way through the book as we speak, and I've got some chicken in the oven. Amazing omlette for breakfast, and chicken with raw pasta sauce for dinner? I could get used to this!

I'm so out of the cooking loop that this is all fairly new to me, but I'm dedicated, and I'm looking forward to starting the excercise! (I've abused my poor body for so long that I have SUPER bad knees, I walk on a cane every so often because of it... ;_; But, I can still do the walking and ease myself into the rest!)
    Down from 275 to 250!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Water workouts are great if you have access to a pool. I do water "aerobics." I put aerobics in quotes because it is really a sprint class with lots of resistance and range of motion work. Some aerobics.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You sounds a lot like me - I grew up in the midwest and transplanted to the bay area about a years ago. I also tried a million different ways of eating before stumbling on to primal....and I haven't looked back

Good luck!

No water here! Well, maybe there is, I just moved up here from Union City. Still Bay area, but the different regions are like different states! It's really kind of interesting!!

I used to be a swimmer, we're talking like, five hours a day competitive swimming. That was back when I was in High School and I was 120 lbs! Well, I'm 31 this month...so that was some time ago! Maybe I ought to look into doing the swimming thing again, joining a local pool that has a lap lane.

Naturally, that got me looking for pools and lo and behold there IS one around here (Well, a swim lagoon!)! A bit of a drive and $8 a visit, but...that's HALF the price of joining a gym if I just do it once a week. Plus, it's outdoors...so that'd get my bit of sun in as well! Hmm...That sounds like a pretty good idea! O.O I'm unemployed at the moment, why not!?
    Down from 275 to 250!

So, day four! I'm feeling really good. Oddly enough, my sleep cycle has gone from pretty much exclusively nocturnal to getting up bright and early in the AM, going into the kitchen and making my now famous omelet. (Famous to me...I look forward to it!)

I whipped out my Magic Bullet (That I hadn't had a chance to even experiment with yet!) and began making THINGS! Pasta sauces are my forte, which doesn't come anywhere NEAR pasta, it gets put onto chicken.

I'm trying to get more into the red meat thinking, because red meat isn't a thing I've actually eaten much (Outside of fast food grossburgers!) so all cooking is new to me, I guess it's a good thing because I can learn all sorts of great new habits. A friend of mine is sending me some primal/paleo cook books, so I'm sure along with all of the awesome advice on this site, I'll be a stellar cook!

I've started a blog, Primal Dire Wolf I really like blogging, considering I used to do it for a living!

Gotta kick that Dairy habit! I've been working on drinking water, as I've got one of those nice refrigerators that pees out COLD water, but right now that's the only thing I can think of, outside of beginning to exercise. That's where I'm really, really intimidated. But, some of those wall pushups and deep squats, I think I could do those...

Ah well, I need to read the book over again so that I can get a better idea of the exercise!

(Or...if someone could break it down to a few simple words, I'd be forever in your debt!)
    Down from 275 to 250!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Westly...Starting simple is the best way to go. Do body weight exercises(planks, pushups, etc...). Maybe even try doing wall squats. There is a blog re: 100 pushup challenge, and many who are in the same starting point as you. Just remember, to not get discouraged. Everything you do is progress, and a step in the right direction. Primal is a way of life, and not a diet or some Neo Nazi driven workout regime:-)

Go at your own pace, and smile after every rep, set, workout. Grok On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast