Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread for those TTC page 3

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Heather, I am also 25. Do you chart your fertility or know how long your luteal phase is? I completely hear you on wanting to be in tiptop shape before pregnancy! If I had done that before my son, maybe he wouldn't have digestive issues and bad teeth

Lisa, I feel silly for not realizing the suppositories were vaginal, lol. I'm with you on not tolerating sweets, I can't even do sweet veggies like carrots right now!

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    I don't currently chart my cycles. I keep track of how long my cycles are, but that's it. I've thought about using BBT to chart, or ovulation prediction strips, but I'm not sure if it's for me. I should figure out how long my LP is though...

even if your son has digestive issues and other problems, its nothing you cant fix by raising him with a primal diet! We cant feel bad for things we did before we knew the truth

Rose is offline Member
    I'm impressed with you ladies, you know so much about your bodies. I've had three kids (currently trying for 4th) and don't know half as much as you. I hope the primal diet helps with your fertility. So far I've not had that problem, but at 39 I need to keep in good health for myself and possibly another bub.
    I'm doing pretty well with my eating. Still a lot of room for improvement, but no longer going off on binges.

Shawnamarie is offline Member
    It's great to hear everyone's stories. I am a big fan of the guidelines in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility for figuring out ovulation and luteal phase. I've been following the signs she outlines in the book (basal temp, etc.) and it's really helpful. I'm a little concerned that I might have a short luteal phase based on when my temperature spikes, but I guess I won't find out until we try. My ND suggested a hormone panel at day 21 of my cycle to see how things are going. Has anyone done this?

Also, I heard on a paleo podcast today (Diane at Balanced Bites) that she recommends adding in more carbs to help with conception. Does anyone have any experience with carbs being helpful in this sense?

It's kind of odd just hanging out and waiting for a few months to TTC, but it's necessary in order for me to finish grad school in June. I just wish I knew now if it's going to be a quick process or if it's going to take a while. @Heather, I also want to be in shape for pregnancy and am using this time now to get in as good of shape as I can. It's a great motivator for sticking to my crossfit schedule!

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Are you just charting your temps and monitoring cervical mucus? Gah I really should start, I just wonder how reliable it would be with me doing shift work, including working thru the night 2 weeks of the month. Has anyone heard of Lunaception? Using the moon's phases to help identify fertile times.. it's talked about here: Fertility Awareness, Food, and Night-Lighting - Weston A Price Foundation

I have heard of adding more carbs for conception.. anecdotally, many women with low BF % have had to eat more carbs in order to get pregnant. I would think its the bodies way of ensuring there will be adequate fat stores and immediate energy available to build the little person growing inside, as it takes a crazy amount of energy!

And on the plus side, waiting a few months just gives you loads of time to 'practice' hehe

Shawnamarie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    And on the plus side, waiting a few months just gives you loads of time to 'practice' hehe
    Hah. Yes, great point.

Yeah, I've been charting temps and mucus for years now. It has become automatic for me to take my temp first thing in the morning. I am finding my mucus indicates that I am ovulating at a good time (around day 15-16) but my temp doesn't shift for several days after that. Hence, my confusion about luteal phase length.

I have heard about the night light issue and am having a hard time incorporating it. I need to keep my bedroom door open a crack for my cat to get in and out at night and it lets light in from the street. Not quite sure about how to work around that one but I'm really curious about this technique and anyone that has used it.

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    Heather, thank you so much for the detailed information on the teas: very helpful!

Taking charge of your fertility is a great book! I think it is useful to start charting despite those challenges as it really helps to get to known your body. Historically, i have not paid a lot of attention to my body; this whole process has really made me be more aware, which has been a blessing.

Shawnamarie, I,too, have been trying to stay on the path with exercising so that I can keep doing it during the pregnancy. Next month (!) we're having our transfer. Fingers crossed!!!!

I haven't heard about the carbs...I don't really have a lot of weight to loose, but I don't think my body fat is too low. I keep reminding myself that I WAS pregnant, so there is a good chance it will happen again.

Btw, do any of you know of good meditation apps/tapes that have affirmations for pregnancy. I'd like to start something like that...

Rose is offline Member
    Dmc, regarding the apps/tapes for pregnancy; My partner is a hypnotherapist and purchased me the hypnobabies course. He knew there was no point trying to help me himself as he has no experience with birth or labour and I had had two girls when I was younger so knew 'something' about it. I personally found the hypnobabies course a little too 'fruitcakey' for my liking.
    I found the book Childbirth without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read very helpful. I then meditated myself and practiced relaxation techniques which helped so much in labour that my midwives were astounded. I find modified yoga followed by meditation and excellent preparation. I use a yoga app on my iphone and shut myself in a quiet room.

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, Rose. I actually was thinking I'd like to find an affirming meditation/relaxation tape for during the two week wait between the transfer and the pregnancy test. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Rose

The ignorance I have regarding that area of my life would astound you. All I know is that I have had regular periods...that is about it. At this point we are just going to try, I think if I started on all the measuring, I think I (and he) would be a nervous wreck. Maybe in 6 months, I will have a look at that.

DMC

I have always been a fan of positive thinking, so for example for me, I should be chanting twins, twins, twins. I'll let you know how that works.

On the twins note there was a small Australian study to link twins with folate (800 mcg daily) but it could also be that older women tend to have twins. Older women, better educated, delay pregnancy, then use folate when TTC, have twins. What was it, the older age or the folate?

I think even if you are not going for this for a few months, I think to have information and support in one place is a good thing.
    Life. Be in it.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast